Gransnet forums

News & politics

BBC and the hard of hearing

(52 Posts)
Rosina Fri 26-Jul-19 17:38:03

I read this morning that the BBC is to run a new service; after many many complaints about mumbling actors and music that drowns out the dialogue, those who find it a struggle to follow programmes can deploy a small device - I think it said a 'slider' function on the screen - to quieten the background noise and make the dialogue clearer.
Is it just me, or isn't a much easier solution to simply lower the volume of music overall and get actors to speak properly and not mumble? I have endured several programmes of late where the 'atmospheric music' - or screeches and groans produced on instruments to indicate rising tension and danger - has reached such a pitch that I have hastily put my fingers in my ears. 'Jamaica Inn', shown a few years back, received so many complaints about mumbling - and yet if I listen to the news or watch old black and white films the newsreaders of today and actors of yesterday speak clearly and there is no need for any other assistance. How much will this latest ploy cost I wonder - when 'SPEAK UP ' might be all that is needed for actors , and a volume control for background music.

Conni7 Fri 02-Aug-19 11:11:56

I agree with all of the above comments. The only thing I can add is that the subtitles for the news follow about half a minute after the presenter has spoken. I tend to switch them off here, which is less of a problem than with dramas as the diction is usually better.