Gransnet forums

News & politics

Patriotic, not.

(60 Posts)
Nandalot Sun 04-Aug-19 12:03:41

So one of Boris’s donors, a Brexiteer, is betting against British firms post Brexit.
A lot of the most wealthy and by that, most powerful, pro-Brexiteers have made a lot of money out of this whole sorry mess.
www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnsons-donor-crispin-odey-eyes-brexit-jackpot-with-300m-bet-against-british-firms-0lwjbnqsn?fbclid=IwAR2oyWwCZYoBBqDgY5BLM7LxCNM6XJ7oCot0iqzdmeL8g9ITs8wAutgg_-w

jura2 Sun 04-Aug-19 21:14:10

'Adding to its pattern of mainstreaming toxic extremism, Fox News regularly echoes and sanitizes the dangerous white supremacist conspiracy theory that non-white immigrants represent the threat of “replacement” to white populations. This racist talking point has already inspired massacres and hate crimes around the world.'

and this has been voiced right here on GN- and rightly deleted (thank you GNHQ) - but it has made the cover of several tabloids, again and again- and was very much part of the Leave campaign (remember that dreadful poster with Farage in front of a huge line of 'brown' people invading the UK - from the EU ?!?

Alima Sun 04-Aug-19 21:14:38

Really articulate and informative posts Minniemoo. Thoroughly agree. Love the way someone then writes “I don’t mean to sound patronising but”. Priceless.

dragonfly46 Mon 05-Aug-19 09:39:25

Why is there all this talk about right and left? Not all right wingers are Brexiteers and vice versa.

We all have our own reasons for our beliefs and we should respect those of others as long as they are based in facts. These facts, however, seem very hard to come by amidst all the propaganda published by both sides.

Nonnie Mon 05-Aug-19 10:00:24

Minniemoo Sun 04-Aug-19 15:43:49 Thank you for giving your reasons, that is more than anyone else has done.

I don't recognise the comments in your first paragraph but accept that I don't read every thread. They are certainly not comments I have made.

The rest of your post is caring but how will it improve if we leave the EU?

I disagree that the richer countries exploit the poor although there may be examples of it. I see it in a very different way. The Polish economy was doing very badly, their people went to other EU countries to work and send home money. The Polish economy improved through EU intervention and many of the Poles have returned home to work, partly because the £ is so much devalued but mainly because they have jobs to go back to. Now that things are better they can sell more to other countries and are better able to buy in too. Just like a family helping out its weaker neighbour.

I don't think remainers want it to happen at all we simply know that "all it takes for evil to prosper is for good people to do nothing". It feels like leavers are not listening to the experts again and have their heads in the sand although I am sure that does not apply to all of them.

dragonfly46 Mon 05-Aug-19 10:06:57

I read today how the medical profession is worried about continuing the supply of radio isotopes from Europe for radiotherapy over here. We only make one type in this country. They are fearful it will cause huge delays in cancer treatment. I, for one, tremble at this news. I cannot wait 50 years for it all to sort itself out and may bring me demise sooner than expected.
Selfish I know but I have many other reasons to remain in the EU as most of you know.

jura2 Mon 05-Aug-19 10:09:24

this has been clear now for a long time- same with shortage of some drugs and also surgical equipment for operating theatres, prostheses, etc.

When I first mentionned this here- I was told I was disgusting to be so cruel and scare mongering.

varian Mon 05-Aug-19 10:15:50

To get back to the subject of this thread. It has been reported that hedge fund operator Crispin Odey made £220,000,000 in 2016 by betting that a Leave result would trigger a crash in the value of the pound.

How much did you make? I'm guessing that, like me, you lost because of that Leave vote. Most of the UK population did.

Now this pro-Brexit Conservative donor, who donated £10,000 to Johnson's leadership campaign, has reportedly waged a £300,000,000 bet against some of Britain’s biggest businesses on the implication their share prices will crash after Brexit.

Shorting involves borrowing currency or shares and selling immediately in the hope of buying them back later for less and pocketing the difference.

Ian Murray, the Labour MP who champions the People’s Vote campaign, said: “It’s a disgrace to democracy that Johnson is happy to take money from a man who is betting against the country and who stands to make a mint if he forces no deal on us. It might not be illegal, but it stinks.”

inews.co.uk/news/tory-donor-bets-300-million-on-losses-for-uk-firms-after-no-deal-brexit/

Unpatriotic??? You bet!

jura2 Mon 05-Aug-19 10:20:39

and still some people just can't see what is happening sad

Skyjoe4 Mon 05-Aug-19 11:33:41

Have to say the Brexit discussion here is far more civilised than on MN smile

I’m a Remain voter but at least some of the Leave voters here have been able to say rationally why they voted Leave and have given me stuff to think about. Thank you for that as it is helpful to have an understanding .