Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is Harry less popular now?

(401 Posts)
Ohmother Mon 12-Aug-19 15:25:44

Reading on the BBC News page that Harry is less popular since booking up with Megan. I thought I liked Megan and that she would be a calming influence but now I think she’s influencing him to a ridiculous degree and they are both behaving like Hollywood divas. What are your thoughts?

merlotgran Thu 22-Aug-19 14:01:37

I read in the DM - so it must be true grin that W&K and family are going to stay in a cottage in the grounds and H&M are going to stay in the castle. Apparently they don't want to be under the same roof but maybe it's so Harry can have a good old strop when the Queen has had one of her 'quiet words' with them without his brother gloating.

All eyes will be on H&M's mode of transport.

gillybob Thu 22-Aug-19 14:10:03

I think the atmosphere will be hysterical !

They are like spoiled brats and need to give their heads a good swivel !

All eyes will be on H&M's mode of transport

My money is firmly on barefoot on a camel grin

TerriBull Thu 22-Aug-19 14:13:06

Good for W&K, I do remember reading a few years ago, they travelled back on a train when returning from Sandringham, before they had the children I think, they just had Ludo the dog with them and calmly walked towards the exit with all the other commuters. Good! I thought at the time, I believe that's how their European royal counterparts do things and manage to remain popular in their respective countries.

SirChenjin Thu 22-Aug-19 14:13:07

Surely they wouldn't be so foolish as to go by private jet, would they? Perhaps we'll see some passive agressive competitive eco-travelling to Balmoral from H&M - tandem bike? Horse and cart? Space hoppers?

merlotgran Thu 22-Aug-19 14:15:34

My money's on a hot air balloon. grin

They've generated enough of their own to offset any carbon emissions.

Lessismore Thu 22-Aug-19 15:46:44

Gosh George is long and lean isn't he?

Anniebach Thu 22-Aug-19 16:00:28

Definitely a hot air balloon ?

Callistemon Thu 22-Aug-19 18:43:34

What is wrong with bikes? I used to go on a child seat on the back of my Dad's bike. I'm sure they have improved since those days, with a proper safety harness and helmet for Archie.

Callistemon Thu 22-Aug-19 18:45:07

merlotgran grin

Anniebach Thu 22-Aug-19 19:02:32

Perhaps they won’t be at Frogmore permanently. KP wasn’t
suitable, they wanted Windsor Castle but it was occupied.

Hampton Court Palace ?

Callistemon Thu 22-Aug-19 20:49:17

The trouble with Hampton Court Palace is that there isn't much furniture - they would have to visit Ikea.

Then there are all those thousands of tourists to contend with.
And a maze.
And people like to hold their weddings there
And the ghost of Catherine Howard who may not like company

SueDonim Thu 22-Aug-19 20:49:53

The royal family use scheduled flights all the time. We've flown on the same flights as different RF members. There's no fuss or bother, they just board last and leave first.

When we once shared a flight with Camilla I knew I knew her face but couldn't place her. I thought she must either work in a local shop or was one of the receptionists at my doctors surgery. The penny only dropped when I saw her get into one of the RF's black Range Rovers. grin

Callistemon Thu 22-Aug-19 20:50:57

Not to mention the flower show

Callistemon Thu 22-Aug-19 20:52:14

I can't fathom how someone can be kidnapped on a plane confused

M0nica Thu 22-Aug-19 21:31:39

Today we were informed that the Cambridges, flew from Norwich to Aberdeen this week on a normal Flybe flight.

What is good enough for those directly in line to the throne should be good enough for their less illustrious scions.

As for private planes being 'safer', I would think, despite their personal bodyguards, a private plane flying from a small airfield with no commercial flights would be far less secure and easier to hi-jack than a commercial flight going from an airport with the security and checking in facilities for ordinary air passengers.

I would feel a lot more secure with royalty on board. If nothing else I think their security contingent would have no problem dealing with anyone stupid enough to be drunk and disruptive on board.

Ohmother Sat 24-Aug-19 08:53:18

I think the Cambridge’s have set a better example.

gillybob Sat 24-Aug-19 09:25:46

Except for now it turns out the flight wasn’t a commercial flight at all . It was (it seems) a “private flight” on a commercial airline !

Not sure what the truth is anymore with this family . Best just pretend they don’t exist , better for the BP .

Anniebach Sat 24-Aug-19 09:50:45

If a private flight how come there were other passengers ?

merlotgran Sat 24-Aug-19 09:59:56

When my DiL was a senior flight attendant for Monarch I remember her saying that planes were often 'positioned' by flying them empty one way or the other.

Not sure if that's the case this time but the Cambridges and other passengers would have been unaware that it was a tactical move by Flybe to get their name on the side of the aircraft and not the smaller partner airline.

I can imagine the steam coming out of William's ears if they've been set up.

Sparklefizz Sat 24-Aug-19 10:00:47

It was a public scheduled flight with other passengers who have confirmed that they were on board, but apparently FlyBe use two different aircraft for their flights, and they wanted to make sure that the plane used was the one with their logo, so they swapped planes ( I guess because they knew that the photographs would be beamed all round the world and give them good publicity).

Beachwriter Sat 24-Aug-19 10:01:56

Much is made of Meghan's left-wing credentials. She has a choice. If she dislikes the establishment so much, why not give her money away and call herself not 'Duchess' but Mrs Wales? She has chosen a life of privilege but with privilege comes responsibility. The Queen carries those responsibilities well.

Callistemon Sat 24-Aug-19 10:11:20

merlot yes, I understood that planes often fly empty because they need to be 'in position' somewhere else.

We have flown on a near empty 747 with about 10 or 11 other passengers.
crown

Anniebach Sat 24-Aug-19 10:11:47

Seems the Cambridge family were used for publicity for the company

Jabberwok Sat 24-Aug-19 10:39:22

Lets face it whatever the RF do in order to be like ordinary folk, to some they will always be the subject of derision and controversy! Prince George has been made just that by some American chat show host because he apparently he likes ballet and will be taking lessons at school! This caused much mirth and mickey taking in the interests of humour! Presumably
it would be better if he carried a knife and threatened his siblings in order to prove how masculine he is!! He's a little boy, so why don't they just shut up!

gillybob Sat 24-Aug-19 10:43:58

Apparently the flight was not scheduled . Not listed .

But ( and it’s a massive but) they just happened to need to move a plane from Norwich to Aberdeen just when the Cambridge 5 plus a few, needed “to book “ “last minute tickets.

hmm