Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is Harry less popular now?

(401 Posts)
Ohmother Mon 12-Aug-19 15:25:44

Reading on the BBC News page that Harry is less popular since booking up with Megan. I thought I liked Megan and that she would be a calming influence but now I think she’s influencing him to a ridiculous degree and they are both behaving like Hollywood divas. What are your thoughts?

Lessismore Thu 22-Aug-19 11:22:58

Yes but stop being a people pleaser and do stuff for you.

gillybob Thu 22-Aug-19 11:26:57

The thing is (sorry for spoiling the thread) I am not a "people pleaser" at all. It seems that I can never do enough to please anyone.

On a happy (selfish) note I might be (yet tbc) going out for supper tonight . Which will be twice in one month if it comes off. Blimey O'Reilly …….I'm easy pleased. smile

Anniebach Thu 22-Aug-19 12:00:01

I still cannot agree sorry, no one snd nothing can replace the dead parent, the counselling can allow freedom to speak freely,

My elder daughter was 7, the day she married just before leaving for the church her eyes filled with tears as she said
‘I wish Daddy was here’. When she died in 2017 we found a letter, I want to be buried with Daddy. She was surrounded by a caring, loving extended family, but she missed him.

paddyann Thu 22-Aug-19 12:18:20

Sure Annie we all miss our parents when they're gone but if a child is being raised by a single parent on a limited income where there is no money for a treat and the mother cries herself to sleep at night then that will affect their lives .A stressed parent is very different to what the royals had when their mother died .They had the world showering them with sympathy and gifts and a family who could do anything they wanted.If you cant see that then you live in a diffenrnt world from the rest of us .Money may not BUY happiness but it sure as hell makes being miserable a lot easier by taking pressure off .

paddyann Thu 22-Aug-19 12:22:32

Sorry I meant to say.after your remark to Gilly about widows pension.I dont know what if any Gilly got but it wouldn't have been much.Currently the MAXIMUM widowed mothers pension is £112 a week ,hardly enough to make life comfortable so a 40 hour week would be essential to keep a family after the death of a partner

pinkquartz Thu 22-Aug-19 12:35:18

I agree with you paddyann money certainly does remove the stress that comes with the loss of a parent.

I do think H is spoilt and entitled and it is really showing at this time. I have seen this happen to children who have lost one of their parents as if people were trying to make up for the death. It doesn't though, it just makes the them grow up with an attitude.

SirChenjin Thu 22-Aug-19 12:40:49

I don't think you can say that money takes the stress off to an extent in this case - living in the media spotlight, dealing with the absolutely vile stuff that's been written about his mum and continues to be written about her must be incredibly stressful. It's a different kind of stress and not one I'd wish on anyone.

Does that excuse him his diva behaviour with Meghan and his ridiculous environmental virtue signalling though? Nope, not imo.

gillybob Thu 22-Aug-19 12:47:25

I deliberately declined to answer Annies widows pension question (as though why on earth would you work when you would get a widows pension?) but for the record....

This was the 1980's. My late husband did not have the kind of job that attracted any sort of pay out . The amount I received in benefit was very small and nowhere near enough to keep a mother and two children , pay rent, gas, electricity etc. so working for me was essential. I do remember his union sending me a cheque for a few £100's though which was a massive help at the time.

I met my current DH just 3 years after the death of my DD's father. We moved in together effectively living as man and wife.

Anniebach Thu 22-Aug-19 12:49:03

Still disagree paddyann, money takes stress of the parent .

I had widowed mothers allowance , did jobs to fit around my daughters school days and holidays, added to the stress i had to move house.

Perhaps having supportive parents does mean I was living in a different world to to the rest of you but I doubt it. I read the electric meter every night, worried about bills.

Money eases the stress of the parent , it does not take away the longing for the dead parent for child.

gillybob Thu 22-Aug-19 12:49:19

Ooops….. should have said we did eventually marry and I am not ashamed to say that he is the love of my life .

gillybob Thu 22-Aug-19 12:50:49

I think we will have to agree to disagree Anniebach smile

merlotgran Thu 22-Aug-19 13:00:50

Nice one, William and Kate

That's the way to do it.

maddyone Thu 22-Aug-19 13:04:58

Just seen a news item that says William, Catherine, and children have been seen getting off a Flybe budget flight on their way to Scotland, presumably making their summer visit to Balmoral. What I’d like to know is if the Cambridge’s can do it, why H+M consider themselves so entitled that they need to use private flights? What has helped to nurture this view in themselves?

maddyone Thu 22-Aug-19 13:05:52

Thanks for the link merlotgran.

gillybob Thu 22-Aug-19 13:09:17

I would love to have been a fly on the wall when H&M learned that W &K and the children flew on a budget airline ! grin

merlotgran Thu 22-Aug-19 13:11:59

I think I'd like to make Jameela Jamil eat that article. grin

gillybob Thu 22-Aug-19 13:16:50

Yes me too merlot stupid woman. Unless of course she thinks her buddies H&M are far more important than W&K ?

Loislovesstewie Thu 22-Aug-19 13:19:02

FWIW, my mother died when I was a child. My father was disabled and was on a very low income as he was limited in the type of work he could do. We received no financial assistance from the state. It was a long time ago so things may have improved slightly since, but I can assure you that although losing my mother was devastating life would have been easier if we had been financially secure. I had to grow up fast; I was a latchkey kid. I took myself of o school in the morning and acme home at night to an empty house, I cooked meals from an early age and learnt that it was better to do my own washing to ensure that I had clean clothes. If my dad had been rich or comfortably off then he could have employed someone to do all of that and I would not have become the permanently anxious person I have become. I worried about money at a very young age and coupled with the loss of my mother that has had lasting effects,my childhood ended far too early for both reasons. Loss of mother and shortage of money. Sorry but I have had to say this because I used to feel a huge amount of empathy for William and Harry but the constant lectures we are currently getting has tried my patience with Harry.

merlotgran Thu 22-Aug-19 13:21:07

Oh yes, of course, gilly. William and Kate are merely going to become King and Queen of the UK whereas Harry and Meghan are going to change the world!

Gonegirl Thu 22-Aug-19 13:22:36

Thanks for the link merlotgran. Nice one indeed! grin

William's the one with the sense.

absthame Thu 22-Aug-19 13:42:19

There really is something wrong with the world when it is seen as of great importance what an over privileged couple do with their lives or what they think or voice.

I just hope that they do some good, now that I may be interested in, beyond that I have no interest

gillybob Thu 22-Aug-19 13:49:07

I know exactly what you mean Loislovesstewie. sad

Exactly merlot grin

Calendargirl Thu 22-Aug-19 13:49:46

Can imagine Catherine thinking “ Hmm, now if Wills and the children and I use a cheapie flight up to see Granny, well that will really, really annoy you know who, and extra brownie points for us! Wills darling, just get Rupert (or Hugo or Lucinda or whoever ) to check out Flybe for us and see if they can get us up to Balmoral ASAP!”

gillybob Thu 22-Aug-19 13:53:09

I was thinking something similar Calendargirl .

How to p*ss ones brother and sister in law off big style grin

SirChenjin Thu 22-Aug-19 13:58:00

I thought exactly the same thing Calendar! Much kudos to Kate/Catherine grin