Gransnet forums

News & politics

Liberal Democrats

(639 Posts)
varian Thu 15-Aug-19 08:14:17

Dr Sarah Woolaston MP has joined the Libera Democrats. Great news!

Grany Thu 15-Aug-19 13:30:23

decide to Vote against or Abstain on the proposed VoNC we will know their true allegiance, and it wont be to the UK Electorate.
The LibDems will enable a No Deal Brexit.

varian Thu 15-Aug-19 13:36:51

I think that the LibDems will vote in favour of a VoNC (ie against this brexit government). They will do nothing to enable a no deal brrexit as they are against any kind of brexit. They would prefere to support a temporary government led by someone other than Corbyn who had cross party support.

Personally, that would also be my preference, but I would be prepared to support a temporary govt led by Jeremy Corbyn on condition that he immediately Revoked Article 50 then called a General Election.

Grany Thu 15-Aug-19 14:01:11

My appeal to
@JoSwinson
to reconsider her response to Corbyn's approach on stopping a disastrous No Deal #Brexit

twitter.com/SkyeCitySeries/status/1161977949010223104?s=20

RT
@liamyoung
: And so it was true: they never wanted to stop Brexit, they only wanted to stop Corbyn. LibDems show their true colours happy to support Tories and austerity but not stop a Johnson no deal disaster.

varian Thu 15-Aug-19 14:10:13

RT - is that Russia Today?

varian Thu 15-Aug-19 14:13:39

RT is a Russian international television network funded by the Russian government.

Grany Thu 15-Aug-19 14:21:28

varian So what? It speaks the truth compared to our news/ media.

Ilovecheese Thu 15-Aug-19 15:23:21

The link that Grany has given to Twitter is for Caroline Lucas response to Jo Swinson.

MaizieD Thu 15-Aug-19 17:31:29

RT may well stand for 'Re Tweet' in the context of that post. It's a common twitter abbreviation.

POGS Thu 15-Aug-19 17:34:39

"They would prefere to support a temporary government led by someone other than Corbyn who had cross party support."
--

Hells Bells.

Those who have challenged the perfectly legitimate act of a Party Leadership changing hands from within their party are perfectly content to promote an ' absolute unvoted for ' Leader when it suits.

Can hypocrisy be shouted much louder?

How on earth could MP's such as Ken Clark and Harriet Harman become Leader as being mooted. Even I would say that was undemocratic.

The numbers and protocol if adhered to are in Corbyns favour to be the Leader as he is the Leader of the 2nd largest party. However both Precidence and Principles have been shoved to one side during this Parliament and his acceptance of that happening could prove to be something he might have to accept.

POGS Thu 15-Aug-19 17:40:36

Grany

I will give the Lib Dems one pat on the back, they have stuck to their guns over their refusing to accept the EU Referendum from day one.

Why should the Lib Dems back Corbyn?

They see the Labour Party in their sights at the next General Election, the Conservatives also. They have a different position to Labour who have not even made clear if they are a Remain or Leave Party.

Fennel Thu 15-Aug-19 18:15:15

I'm not sure what the Lib-Dems can offer.
To me, they're the default party for voters who have become disillusioned by Tories and Labour.

jura2 Thu 15-Aug-19 18:25:06

and there are 1000s upon 1000s of us

Grany Thu 15-Aug-19 18:30:36

Pogs Lib Dems
why don't they stop a no deal Brexit, all parties backing Labour to stop this happening? Or a no deal Brexit will happen.

POGS Thu 15-Aug-19 18:43:03

Grany

Pogs Lib Dems
why don't they stop a no deal Brexit, all parties backing Labour to stop this happening? Or a no deal Brexit will happen.
-

I am not a Lib Dem supporter but they should be given credit for being the party that has tried to stop a No Deal Brexit, they have gone further and stated they want nothing but to REMAIN!

What does Corbyn/Labour offer the Lib Dems.?

Labour and it's supporters do not know if Labour is a party of Remain or Leave, at least I have never had a response to that question that cannot be picked holes with.

You cannot expect parties to agree if they do not hold the same principle if the sole reason for uniting is to Stop Brexit, full stop, no ifs no buts.

M0nica Thu 15-Aug-19 19:46:43

eesybee how does changing your party in a consistent direction over a year compare with voting against the party you are in over 400 times?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 15-Aug-19 20:43:02

Sarah Woolaston stood for election as a Conservative to deliver Brexit.........moved to Change UK...........moved to Lib Dems, I wonder what her constituents think???

varian Thu 15-Aug-19 20:55:13

We will find out what her constituents think when we get I general election. By all accounts Sarah Woolaston is a popular constituency MP, who has also done well as Chairman of the Health Select Committee. Totnes is a Liberal area so I think it very likely that she would be re-elected with an increased majority.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 15-Aug-19 21:00:48

Varian if she gets re-elected as a Lib Dem that's fair.

I just believe that if any politician changes parties mid-term there should automatically be a bi-election, as many voters put their X in the box of the party not even knowing who their local MP is - "tribal politics".

POGS Fri 16-Aug-19 12:18:40

All MP's who quit their party should allow their constituents to vote on whether or not they still want them to serve as their MP.

The hypocrisy of MP's such as Woolaston is loud and clear.

They demand a 2nd Refendum vote spouting ' the times have changed since the last Referendum' but the ' times have changed because of their quitting the party they were elected on'. too!

Do as I say not do as I do.

M0nica Fri 16-Aug-19 15:44:21

In this country MPs are not voted for on a party ticket. They stand and are voted for on a personal basis. It is only recently that any party affiliation has been included on the ballot paper.

To expect MPs who change their affiliation to stand for re-election is to insult the electorate. Presumably they knew what their MP's personal attitudes and opinions were when they elected, whatever party they were signed up to, and an MP rarely changes their personal political beliefs when they change parties, just the party they do it within.

If it is true that people vote only for a party regardless of anything else, we might as well suspend Parliament as soon as possible and replace all the candidates with donkeys, who will say 'Yeigh--h-h-h' or 'Neigh-h-h-h-' at their owners command.

POGS Fri 16-Aug-19 16:43:30

Monica

I strongly disagree.

If a candidate did not want to be associated with a political party, stand on a party manifesto, campaign on party lines they should stand as an Independent, which obviously some do.

MP's who have been content to be associated with, fought for a political party, campaigned for a political party , stood on a party manifesto and quit should in principle be second to the electorate who should take precident over the MP and the constituency should have the right to make their choice if they want that MP to still represent the constituency or not.

Each to his her own opinion I guess.

This is not a bias political issue and I think the high volume of MP's who are now sitting as Independents will eventually force Parliament to revisit the reasons for calling a bi-election.

suziewoozie Fri 16-Aug-19 16:54:09

I’m with you on this POGS. Party members work very hard to help MPs get elected and in marginal constituencies that’s always very true. The MPs ‘owe’ them and the people who voted for them. DH asked me today how many Lib Dem MPs there are and I said ‘as elected or as in I just changed my mind?’

GrannyGravy13 Fri 16-Aug-19 17:00:29

POGS suziewoozie I totally agree MPs stand as a representative of a political party and its manifesto or they stand as an independent.

quizqueen Fri 16-Aug-19 17:13:22

When an MP switches parties mid Parliamentary term, it should be law that a by election has to be called. When the two Tories ( Carswell and Reckless) left to join UKIP, please note, they immediately stood down and were re-elected in a by election for the different party. Anyone who doesn't do this is a liar and a coward.

Nico97 Fri 16-Aug-19 17:15:52

Concur GG13 SW and Pogs What would be the point of voting for someone in name only - it's the party that is voted for, nothing else.