Gransnet forums

News & politics

Liberal Democrats

(639 Posts)
varian Thu 15-Aug-19 08:14:17

Dr Sarah Woolaston MP has joined the Libera Democrats. Great news!

varian Tue 10-Dec-19 20:33:11

I have always refrained from predicting the outcome of elections. I prefer to wait and see.

Labaik Tue 10-Dec-19 21:57:54

It's ok for you Urmstongran; when things in this country go pete tong with your beloved Johnson in charge you can just swan off to Malaga [or wherever]. imo you're like those Brexit voters who take out Irish passports so they can avail themselves of all the things they want to deprive us from.

varian Wed 11-Dec-19 19:56:19

The Economist encourages us to vote Liberal Democrat

www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2019/12/07/voting-lib-dem-could-hurt-the-tories-as-much-as-labour

varian Thu 12-Dec-19 19:48:47

Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn have no vision for the future of this country. Only the Liberal Democrats have a detailed, credible and radical plan to build a future where every person, every community and our planet can thrive.

jura2 Thu 12-Dec-19 20:55:13

Labaik- has Urmstongran got dual nationality?

If we end up with No Deal - having a property abroad will not give anyone the right to remain or access healthcare. Private insurance will bail out as and when age and pre-existing conditions creep in.

Urmstongran Thu 12-Dec-19 21:11:43

No, I’m a U.K. resident. I spend more time here than in Spain.

varian Sat 14-Dec-19 19:04:53

The Liberal Democrats were the only party which increased their share of the vote in every single region of Great Britain.

In Northern Ireland the LibDem's sister party, the Alliance Party gained a seat for the first time when Stephen Farry was elected to replace independent unionist Lady Sylvia Herman.

MotherHubbard Sat 14-Dec-19 19:27:03

I admire your loyalty to the Liberal Democrats Varian but they are totally irrelevant now.

growstuff Sat 14-Dec-19 19:33:54

I'm a LibDem member too. I wasn't happy with Jo Swinson's actions, although I hated the personal criticism of her on here and elsewhere.

I don't agree the LibDems are irrelevant. At a national level, we've always been aware that we can only be an influence and, almost certainly, never form a majority government.

Nevertheless, the LibDems till have pockets of relevance at local level, holding a number of councils. In many places, they are the only credible alternative to Conservatives and they do make a difference to the way money is spent.

Labaik Sat 14-Dec-19 19:57:26

Given that Labour will be in turmoil for the foreseeable future it's important that the LibDem MP's we do have hold this government to account over the next few days/weeks/months. ok I know we now need a new leader but I can't see that being problematic. The LibDems, to me, have always been the sensible ones and it's a pity that the coalition changed peoples [and the parties, I guess] perception of what it stood for. The LibDems are far from irrelevant at a time when the two main parties are both going in extreme directions. In fact now is the time that the LibDems can make amends for the mistakes of the coalition years. I know that my family, having switched from Labour to LibDem over the past year are not about to jump ship. There's a lot of work to be done.

grannysyb Sat 14-Dec-19 20:00:48

I live in a Lib Dem constituency, went to vote and spoilt my ballot paper, I am furious about their attitude to women. A medical doctor saying gender is assigned at birth, ( Sarah Wollaston a Lib Dem) and more in that ilk. Won't be voting for them again

Oopsminty Sat 14-Dec-19 20:04:34

If the LibDems get their act together they could be credible opposition to the Conservatives

Can't see Labour managing to get their house in order for a long time

Elegran Sun 15-Dec-19 11:16:00

Do you spoil your voting paper and blame the whole of the LibDem party for what one of their members said, Grannysyb ? If everyone did that, there would be no votes to be counted for ANY candidate of ANY party, and we would have no MPs at all - someone in each party always makes a stupid statement at some point.