Gransnet forums

News & politics

raising pension age

(243 Posts)
Caledonai14 Sun 18-Aug-19 10:48:02

A think tank called the Centre for Social Justice, headed by Iain Duncan Smith, is proposing that the state pension age be raised to 70 by 2018 and 75 by 2034.

Five newspapers are reporting this but I can only find one which does not have the story behind a paywall so apologies to those GNers who dislike the Daily Mail as a source, but it is backed up in four other places and looks very much like a softening-up story so that we Waspis/Backto 60s will start to think we were the lucky ones confused.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7367909/State-pension-age-raised-75-16-years-according-Ian-Duncan-Smiths-think-tank.html

EllanVannin Sun 18-Aug-19 12:05:21

This government will self-destruct before long !

Doodledog Sun 18-Aug-19 12:05:46

It’s not just manual workers who need to retire at a sensible age. Mental stress can be as disabling as physical, and trying to keep up with developments in your field, whilst carrying on as you did when younger (commuting, office politics, etc) can be draining.

I think that this ‘news’ has been released now, as the results of the Judicial Review brought by BackTo60 are due. If everyone is reeling at the thought of working to 75, the plight of 1959s born women will seem trivial, and the fact that we were not given time to prepare for such a major change in our life plans will be forgotten.

Annaram1 Sun 18-Aug-19 12:07:53

I am sorry for all you Grans who are still working at an advanced age. I was lucky enough to retire at 60. They wanted me to work till 65 but I was suffering severe health problems and they reluctantly let me go. I got my occupational pension but if I had worked until 65 it would have been a lot better and they would not have deducted £13000 from my lump sum. But I might not have made it to 65 anyway. I am now 78.
IDS is silly to think this is a good idea. It may cost the Tories millions of votes.

Chewbacca Sun 18-Aug-19 12:08:38

Whilst the state retirement age is slowly being raised across Europe, there is still a huge discrepancy. For example, women in Austria still reach SRA at 60 and this isn't due to increase to 65 until 2033. In Czech republic SRA remains at 63 and isn't due to increase to 65 until 2036.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 18-Aug-19 12:13:28

rambling no they won’t that is already sorted with UC.

TATT Sun 18-Aug-19 12:15:15

Unbelievable. I read on Twitter that the aim is 70, but they’ve stated 75 so that it can be reduced to the target of 70 to look as though we’ve had a ‘win’ from the Government.
I was fortunate to be able to finish just before my 65th birthday. I knew that I wouldn’t be able to have continued much longer in my job - it was just too much for me. I’m a retired nurse but was working as a healthcare assistant with community nurses, as I let my registration lapse. There is just no way I could do the work now, just over a year after finishing. No way at all. I’m so concerned about this.

Urmstongran Sun 18-Aug-19 12:15:57

Quite easily jura2

24 June 2010
The government is to outline proposals that could push the age people can claim state pensions to as high as 70.

The coalition will also say they want to legislate soon for the state pension age for men to be raised to 66, but it would not rise before 2016.

Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg defended the plans and said the government was "reinvigorating what retirement means".

jura2 Sun 18-Aug-19 12:18:39

But he is not here NOW, is he? This is what JOHNSON and co are planning NOW.

Musicgirl Sun 18-Aug-19 12:20:28

The problem is that successive governments have put their heads in the sands for generations. We are only hitting the tip of the iceberg. It is all to do with being the post-war generations born between 1945 and 1970, the so-called baby boomers. We all remember being in large classes at school, and, hello, governments,we are mostly still here and hoping that this state of affairs will continue. Governments have wasted money for decades on different schemes while failing to plan for the future. In fact, the real crisis is going to come in twenty to thirty years' time because the largest number of babies were not born immediately following the war but in the 1960s with 1964 (l was born in December of that year) having over a million babies born; the highest number since the end of the second world war.

Hm999 Sun 18-Aug-19 12:24:21

PaddyAnn

www.backto60.com/single-post/2018/07/19/Revealed-The-£271-billion-rape-of-the-National-Insurance-Fund-that-deprived-50s-women-of-their-state-pension

GracesGranMK3 Sun 18-Aug-19 12:26:39

I am so sorry for the Waspi women but it seems only that only those who live long will eventually get a pension and those will not be the people who have been in stressful, physical and or low paid jobs.

However, this is the sort of world the alt-right, neoliberals always wanted. That is why they wanted the likes of Trump, Johnson and the extremist Brexiteers in power. As they would say "consequences are for the little people" and no changes in how we run our country were ever intended to give "the little people" more than a few extra crumbs from the wealth they could create for themselves. Why else do they want to destroy the labour laws or the human rights laws that protect "the little people", including you and me against the power of excessive wealth?

GabriellaG54 Sun 18-Aug-19 12:26:58

People are living longer, healthier lives and medical advancements mean that will increase human longevity in the future.
Meanwhile, technological advancements mean that robots have taken over many arduous physical tasks and again, that will, increasingly, become the norm.
There are lots of jobs which can be done from home and I've seen people in full time employment well past retirement age.

Noreen3 Sun 18-Aug-19 12:27:13

It's getting ridiculous.I'm so lucky to have been able to retire when I did,I'm 68 now.I was 60 during the start of the changes,I could have retired at 61,but kept going a bit longer.I was an assistant in a busy shop,I really don't think I would be quick enough now,or good enough at lifting and carrying.I enjoy doing voluntary work,2 days a week,nothing too physically demanding,that's how it should be at our age,not being forced to work

Keeper1 Sun 18-Aug-19 12:27:15

It feels as a society we are going back to the days of the Industrial Revolution in that people will work until they drop, there are already lawless and largely uneducated young people on the streets. Homeless people being encouraged by way of funding to return the areas they are from and families going hungry. How long before we see a return of the workhouses.

Urmstongran Sun 18-Aug-19 12:27:36

He facilitated the changes by bringing them forward by a good few years - in the name of austerity.

Snake.

Further changes (if they happen) have him as their champion.

Menopause Sun 18-Aug-19 12:29:53

I’m going to get £168 a week pension as long as I pay my NI for 2 more years, which I will because it looks like I’ll be working till forever! After 2 more years NI payments my pension won’t increase but they actually state that they still want my contributions to help pay for other resources, by this they probably mean other people that have never worked!
I have always worked for myself & always employed between 5-7 people over the years so feel I’ve done my bit but it seems very little coming back hence having to work forever.

Mincub Sun 18-Aug-19 12:44:03

I have suffered ill health for many years including Rheumatoid arthritis for 40 years, removal of a tumour in my chest, resulting in paralysed vocal chords. I have difficulty swallowing which has left me with Bronchiectasis, diabetes and IBS. I am 64. I have never been a ‘burden’ to the state, and have always paid my way, but I have another 2 years before I get my state pension, if I live that long and I say enough is enough.
People should not have to work forever just to obtain what is theres as a right and maybe have very little time left to enjoy their retirement. No one is saying you are over the hill at 65 plus but it should be your choice if you want to go on working, not an enforced situation. Those who say it’s ok, might not have the same opinion when they get there!
This is still a rich country, the distribution of wealth is all wrong. You work you get paid, you do nothing you get paid ...that breeds resentment ...There is no equality, just I’m All right Jack mentality!

jura2 Sun 18-Aug-19 12:47:22

OH retired at 62 from his GP practice- I am absolutely sure he would be dead had he continued to 70. And as a secondary school teacher teaching languages in a large Comprehensive school- there is absolutely NO WAY I could have continued to teach beyond 60. I retired without pay just before - and got my pension at 65- on of the few from 1951 who managed to so so.

jura2 Sun 18-Aug-19 12:49:22

Urmstongran 'He facilitated the changes by bringing them forward by a good few years - in the name of austerity.

Snake.'

well yes, he did. But we are NOW and Clegg is NOT RESPONSIBLE. It is those YOU support NOW who are responsible for what is happening NOW - including this. Snakes and serpents for sure.

Paul270656 Sun 18-Aug-19 12:51:16

I think the whole issue of government and elected mps should be reformed I was always told mps represented their constituents like in business we should have the right to fire mps who don't act in our best interests.
Successive governments have got us into the mess we are in and we are paying the price for their failures I really despair for the future and I am a young 63!

Whitewavemark2 Sun 18-Aug-19 13:11:57

Of course something has to pay for the staggering amount of money Johnson is prepared to throw at his vanity project.

It might just as well be the pensioners as they will faithfully troop into vote Tory regardless.

Jaycee5 Sun 18-Aug-19 13:15:28

Has Ian Duncan Smith ever done or suggested anything that hasn't been appalling?

For some reason they keep being voted back in.

Juliepuk Sun 18-Aug-19 13:21:14

The idea is that ordinary folks will work until they drop and no pension will need to be paid as they'll be pushing up the daisies! Rest assured though they will still take a massive pension and more pay rises. It's time for change.

mcem Sun 18-Aug-19 13:27:47

WW please don't attach the Tory voter label to all pensioners. You know that's not the case!

Esmerelda Sun 18-Aug-19 13:49:57

Thanks mcem, I agree. Never voted Tory in my life and never will ... the state to which they have brought us is enough to assure me that my life-long choice has been correct. Plus every time I hear a news presenter saying something about the Prime Minister and I see a picture of BoJo I think, "Surely he's not our PM, he's a joke (and a very bad one at that!)".