Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jeffrey Epstein

(104 Posts)
Eloethan Sun 18-Aug-19 20:27:19

I got back from holiday on 8 August and assumed that there was a thread running re Jeffrey Epstein, given the huge scandal involving this man and his very high profile associates. I've looked, but I can't find one.

Is it really feasible, or believable, that Epstein - originally deemed a high suicide risk - had at his disposal the means and opportunity to hang himself. Given the sorts of powerful groups - including the British and Saudi royal families - linked to him and his child sex trafficking ring, there was a great deal of speculation preceding his death as to how long he would survive ....... and so it came to pass ....

If this story just goes away, despite the many inconsistencies relating to the manner and timing of his death, then I think we really do live in a society where the uber rich and powerful can bypass any normal principles of justice by commiting serious crimes with impunity.

Anniebach Mon 19-Aug-19 15:19:31

So Andrew couldn’t find a girl without the help of his friend ?

Iam64 Mon 19-Aug-19 15:23:49

I'm sure he could and did find many 'girls' Annie. The point here is that even before Epstein was convicted, it would be impossible to spend time in one of his homes/yachts, without realising girls were being provided for sex. Some people think that's ok. It seems Prince Andrew is one of them. The 17 year old he's photographed with was groomed into her 'work' as a massage/sex therapist for Epsteine and his friends when she was a 15 year old school girl. She now claims to have had sex with Andrew on three different occasions. She was 17 which is below the age of consent in Florida, where one of the occasions happened

It's reminiscent of the child sexual exploitation grooming scandals in the UK. Vulnerable girls give money and alcohol and drawn into circles where they initially feel sophisticated, late realise they're being abused.

Ilovecheese Mon 19-Aug-19 15:26:09

There are always those who find excuses for these people. Callistemon
It is sometimes by insisting that the accusers are usually lying.
Or sometimes that it happened so long ago that "things were different then".
or "He didn't know what his friend was doing"
You don't have to be "looking for the filth first" after a person has been found guilty,.

Callistemon Mon 19-Aug-19 15:37:05

I'll ask again - anyone know what has happened to the Maxwell woman?

What a family they are!!

Fennel Mon 19-Aug-19 16:06:22

The Maxwells - at the weekend I read an article in a religious Jewish magazine about Robert Maxwell.
Robert was a Czech Jew who escaped the Nazis and ended up as as a British MP. Apart from everything else.
Wiki "Early in his life, Maxwell escaped from Nazi occupation, joined the Czechoslovak Army in exile in World War II and was decorated after active service in the British Army. "
Such as working as a spy for Mossad. And founding a British press empire. Then his mysterious death by drowning.
No wonder there are conspirancy theories about the family..

Callistemon Mon 19-Aug-19 16:20:22

Sorry, I sounded as if I was demanding an answer!

Add to that list 'fraudster'. Maxwell stole the pension funds of many British pensioners, one of them a member of my family.

Anniebach Mon 19-Aug-19 16:39:44

When I said ‘looking for the filth first ‘ it was a reply to a post attacking Prince Charles , bringing him into this thread totally uncalled for .

I said I defended and believed a priest who was a friend , people do trust friends.

suziewoozie Mon 19-Aug-19 17:02:09

annie I’m not going to pussyfoot around - I’m afraid you don’t know what you are talking about. PC carried on supporting the priest after his conviction for gross sexual indecency ( the poor young man killer himself). Knowing this PC still tried to influence Lambeth Palace in allowing him to return to the priesthood. He wrote to the priest saying he had had ‘monstrous wrongs’ gone to him. No mention of the poor dead man. The IICSA recently criticised PC for trying to influence LP in this matter. And of course as usually happens there were many more victims when it all came out. PC should not have meddled - he knew the priest was guilty of at least one sexual abuse offence which led to the death of the victim. As I said upthread - nice family.

suziewoozie Mon 19-Aug-19 17:03:11

Killed

Anniebach Mon 19-Aug-19 17:17:55

Prince Charles, MP’s, Headmasters, a magistrate and a judge supported Peter Ball before any conviction

suziewoozie Mon 19-Aug-19 17:29:36

PC supported him AFTER the first conviction and associated suicide. What arrogance that he thought that he should try to facilitate the return of a priest convicted of gross indecency.

Anniebach Mon 19-Aug-19 17:41:40

He faced a trial once did he not and was sentenced?

LondonMzFitz Mon 19-Aug-19 17:42:50

This from 2011 - nypost.com/2011/03/07/duchess-of-york-sarah-ferguson-sorry-for-letting-jeffrey-epstein-pay-her-debt/

I read this some months ago : Epstein personally offered to pay off some of (Sarah) Ferguson’s debt, but he did not speak with her directly, instead dealing with the duke’s (Prince Andrew) office to arrange the payment (at Sarah's request).

The conviction for Epstein was in 2008, for someone in Prince Andrew's position to be seen with Epstein in 2010 - and brokering for him to give money to pay debts of the mother of his two daughters .... nasty, nasty!

Anniebach Mon 19-Aug-19 17:51:33

Good grief

suziewoozie Mon 19-Aug-19 17:55:50

Lovely lovely family

Anniebach Mon 19-Aug-19 18:06:37

As they are divorced are they a family ?, suppose as they live together and have children they are

Fennel Mon 19-Aug-19 19:08:05

Callestimon wrote
"Add to that list 'fraudster'. Maxwell stole the pension funds of many British pensioners, one of them a member of my family."
You're right.
I seems that any of these rich or 'highly positioned' families can do what they like. Flouting moral standards.
I wish I knew how to oppose them, but it's been going on since 'time immoral' as DH says.

Callistemon Mon 19-Aug-19 19:18:26

lovely lovely family

As with so many families, there are always bad eggs, those who are misguided or wrongly support those whom they believe have been wronged.

I do not think that Andrew was so naive that he knew that nothing was untoward. But he did probably convince his thoroughly decent mother of that.

suziewoozie Mon 19-Aug-19 19:38:46

Oh come on - HM, all her advisers, it’s a damn disgrace - we deserve better and the abused and exploited youngsters in our society deserve better. That goes for both the behaviour of the two princes and their mother.

Anniebach Mon 19-Aug-19 22:14:52

Just listened to the news.

He is now appalled, why wasn’t he appalled after ‘his friend’ served a prison sentence .

I still think criticism of the queen is unfair.

merlotgran Mon 19-Aug-19 22:41:32

The poor Queen is heading for another annus horribilis.

She doesn't deserve it.

Anniebach Mon 19-Aug-19 22:44:34

She certainly doesn’t merlot

suziewoozie Mon 19-Aug-19 23:38:31

I’m glad that you’ve accepted that PA kept contact with JE including staying at his home after he knew without doubt of his criminal behaviour. I remain critical of the Queen for not putting her son back in his box. She is Queen first and mother second - that’s how she’s lived her life rightly or wrongly and I think we should expect her to set a lead when it comes to her family and those they consort with. I hope PA is absent from public life at least for a while and we see no more photos of him sat by her side on their way to church.

Eloethan Mon 19-Aug-19 23:50:24

I feel his conduct should be investigated properly and if he is found to have been involved in illegal sexual activities with underage young women he should be prosecuted like any other person would be. I suppose that's a vain hope though, given the power of this unsavoury family.

Chewbacca Tue 20-Aug-19 00:02:00

I'm ambivalent about most of the rf, couldn't really care less one way or the other about any of them. But there's always been something about PA that makes my skin crawl. I've always thought that him and his ex wife are ideally suited. <shudder>