Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is Prince Andrew's protestation too little too late?

(294 Posts)
Tillybelle Tue 20-Aug-19 15:43:30

I think the Palace would have been wiser to have kept silent. It's short statement, filled with all with all the strong emotional words describing what any decent person feels concerning child abuse, only begs the question;

Why now?

Why so strong, now? Everyone knew this a decade ago. Andrew knew his friend had made a deal to avoid these kinds of charges in 2008. Why become so appalled now when he, Andrew, stood by Epstein even after some of his offending came to light?

Epstein died in a New York prison cell on 10 August as he awaited, without the chance of bail, his trial on sex trafficking charges.

In the announcement made on Sunday 18th August, Prince Andrew has said how appalled he is about the sexual behaviour with young girls his former friend Jefferey Epstein is accused of.

Yet he kept in contact with the billionaire sex offender after his 2008 conviction. He knew then that Epstein was on the Sex Offenders Register (USA). The photo of the two men walking in Central Park in 2010 led to serious criticism of the prince concerning his judgement about spending time with a sex offender and staying at his house. He was himself photographed with his arm around 17 year old scantily clad Virginia Roberts at Epstien's house, where he is also filmed smiling and waving through the door at young girls leaving.
To quote Jonny Dymond, BBC Royal Reporter:
"But to see him inside Epstein's house, as young women come and go, looking for all the world as if he was a happy house-guest, is a disturbing sight. And strong though the palace statement may be it, it fails to answer the central question.
Just what was Prince Andrew doing visiting the house of a convicted paedophile?"

It seems far too late, for me, that the Palace issue this statement after the death of Epstein. Why did not the Prince dissociate himself from this man's vile behaviour in 2008?
This was when he received an 18-month prison sentence, after a controversial secret plea deal, when he avoided up to 45 years in prison if convicted of sex trafficking and conspiracy charges, to which he pleaded not guilty, by instead pleading guilty to a lesser charge of soliciting a minor for prostitution.

It is too striking that this public protest of revulsion about the depravity of his erstwhile friend's activities has been made suddenly after that man's death.

Could it be that while Jefferey Epstein was still alive, there was a reason why he could not say, "the suggestion he would condone, participate in or encourage any such behaviour is abhorrent." ? Would his erstwhile friend, perhaps, have testified with evidence to suggest otherwise?

Anniebach Wed 21-Aug-19 13:14:43

Then gilly you will enjoy chatting to tillybelle

mabon1 Wed 21-Aug-19 13:15:08

t Princehe second son of the Queen should have been more discerning of the company he kept.

blondenana Wed 21-Aug-19 13:49:25

Remember lord Mountbatten has been added into the mix now according to the latest news
Had a penchant for young boys, why it has only just been mentioned i thought it was quite well known years ago,
Like a lot of these stories that have been denied, even though there is proof of some

Anniebach Wed 21-Aug-19 13:56:02

May we have the proof please ?

RosieLeah Wed 21-Aug-19 14:00:11

I don't think a girl of 17 can be classed as a child. They will have known very well what they were doing, and were probably well-paid for their services. Image living the high life, having sex with an English prince...I bet the girls were fighting to be first in line.

GillT57 Wed 21-Aug-19 14:04:49

Prince Andrew chose to spend time with a convicted sex trafficer/paedophile after the conviction, presumably against palace advice so he will have to sort this mess out himself. It is all the more disgusting because Andrew's own daughters were of the same age as the victims of Epstein. For the record, I don't think Epstein committed suicide, if he did, it was not voluntarily, he had a lot of famous friends who needed him out of the way, Trump included. They all disgust me.

janipat Wed 21-Aug-19 14:06:41

I despair! RosieLeah have you ever heard of grooming? JE groomed very young girls, they did not suddenly appear at age 17 worldly wise and knowing what they were getting into. And besides which the age of consent in Florida is 18.

GillT57 Wed 21-Aug-19 14:08:16

as ever, a caring response from you Rosieleah, your life must be so perfect. I must look out for your response on the thread about children living in B&B and shipping containers, you probably think it is their own fault.

Anniebach Wed 21-Aug-19 14:18:04

After Epstein’s conviction in 2008 there can be no excuses for
Andrew continuing the friendship

GillT57 Wed 21-Aug-19 14:20:35

Exactly Anniebach, I assume he would have been advised against it and chose to defy said advice, so on his head be it. Disgusting man. I wonder what his daughters think?

gillybob Wed 21-Aug-19 14:48:04

I agree with you GillT57 Of course he didn't commit suicide, he had to be got rid of just in case he spoke up in court, or worse, told someone just where to find his "little black book".

Anniebach Wed 21-Aug-19 14:52:10

Wonder why he didn’t say ‘ don’t try getting rid of me I have everything on record in my little black book’

gillybob Wed 21-Aug-19 14:56:13

grin Anniebach

Maybe, just maybe, the person who "did the deed" knew about the LBB and didn't want it to become public knowledge? I wonder who will have access to his safe or safety deposit box ? I think his brother is his sole heir?

sunseeker Wed 21-Aug-19 14:57:01

I can't believe there are posters who are blaming the girls! As has been pointed out, numerous times, they were groomed to think this was normal.

Do those posters also believe that a woman who drinks a bit too much or wears a short skirt is to blame if she is assaulted - after all they would know some men are incapable of controlling themselves.

Tillybelle Wed 21-Aug-19 15:26:46

MawB Re your question:
Should we be curtsying to you * Tillybelle* ?

If you enjoy curtsying, then please feel free to do so. I do not mind either way.

Callistemon Wed 21-Aug-19 15:28:19

I think we could safely name King Herod and King Richard III, Anniebach, MawB without being sued or bumped off

Anniebach Wed 21-Aug-19 15:30:53

I can Callistemon have no connections with them ?

Tillybelle Wed 21-Aug-19 15:35:01

Anniebach
"Sorry but I will not take part in ‘wink,wink’ gossip".
I agree with you about that. I didn't mean to give rise to it. It was in the newspapers at one time. I am not in a position to find it now. Yes, I do fear saying exactly what it is. I would imagine that somebody in our wide network will remember though.

Tillybelle Wed 21-Aug-19 15:36:05

Callistemon. Not too sure about Richard III.

Tillybelle Wed 21-Aug-19 15:48:16

gillybob. you are on form today

he had to be got rid of just in case he spoke up in court,

Bull's eye!

Tillybelle Wed 21-Aug-19 16:15:53

janipat. I despair with you!

This is an issue in which I agree that the US has it right. Their age of consent and age at which a teenager is still a minor or under-age is 18.

I can remember how naive I was at 17. I was not a follower of pop idols but I trusted what older people said and did and it didn't cross my mind if a friendly and polite man started to talk to me that I should not trust him. Very often the children who are groomed are naive unworldly girls who trust people too easily.

For many years I would have imagined that a member of the Royal family would behave in a decent and caring way towards me.

My children thought that people at the BBC were respectable until one of their friends won a visit to the BBC and on being shown round was asked would she like a Blue Peter Badge? To earn it she was invited to go into a dark cupboard with a famous children's program presenter. I really have forgotten his name. My children were so upset that I was focused on them at the time.

I believe people need protection at any age really. The smooth talking con man can always cause terrible trouble to anyone no matter what their age. Paying for sex, luring women into places, keeping them there, bribing them with large sums of money, making it clear that if they talk they will be in trouble of a serious kind... this is revolting whatever the age of the women who are treated as objects. For a girl under even 20, I would say, she would be too naive to understand the implications of what might happens to her. She would be far too easily talked into meeting a famous man, far too easily willing to believe she would be treated well and all would be fine.

A person with rank, title, money, status, position, power and superiority in any way, can misuse this to get whatever he or she wants and often can get away with their crimes. It's nothing new.

Fortunately, today, the internet, immediacy of news, more records having been kept, means people who indulge in malevolent deeds are being trapped by this modern net. The surveillance around every public place, for one thing, makes it harder for them to get away with their crimes.

I am waiting for the enquiry into Epstein's death. Apparently there were no security cameras, unless I have not read correctly. However, already we are being told there are circumstances which need explaining.

I hope this won't be an everlasting "How did Epstein die?" scenario, like the terrible torment we have over the death of Diana.

gillybob Wed 21-Aug-19 16:20:07

I hope this won't be an everlasting "How did Epstein die?" scenario, like the terrible torment we have over the death of Diana

and like Diana we might never know the real truth Tillybelle. We will just get a version of the truth that they would like us all to believe .

Tillybelle Wed 21-Aug-19 16:25:16

janipat. Heck I'm stupid!! I've only just seen that what I said is ambiguous!!
When I said "I despair with you!" it meant I join you in your despair! I too despair about what people like RosieLeah are saying!!
Sorry if you thought otherwise!!

sunseeker. well said!

Tillybelle Wed 21-Aug-19 16:28:28

gillybob. Yes. And people will go on and on and on trying to find out what happened and who did it and why then and so on and on... What is most compelling today, is how difficult it is to find anyone who believes it was an accident.

Ilovecheese Wed 21-Aug-19 16:29:12

I agree with you about young women Tillybelle and Janipat What makes things even worse for young women who find themselves being groomed is when other women blame them instead of blaming the sleazy men.

I wonder, have so many of us women been brought up to believe that if a man is well spoken and has superficially good manners then he cannot possibly be an abuser? Especially if he is a man in the public eye.