Gransnet forums

News & politics

So he’s done it?

(802 Posts)
MawB Wed 28-Aug-19 09:31:48

The end of hopes of stopping a no deal Brexit?
Just announced.
The Queen will be asked by the government to suspend Parliament days after MPs return to work - and a matter of weeks before the Brexit deadline.
The BBC's political editor, Laura Kuenssberg, says it will make way for Boris Johnson's new administration to hold a Queen's Speech - laying out the government's future plans - on 14 October
But it means MPs are unlikely to have time to pass any laws that could stop the prime minister taking the UK out of the EU without a deal on 31 October.
A No 10 source said: "It's time a new government and new PM set out a plan for the country after we leave the EU
The idea of shutting down Parliament - known as prorogation - has caused controversy, with critics saying it would stop MPs being able to play their democratic part in the Brexit process.

Elegran Thu 05-Sep-19 09:38:25

The Petition - Do not prorogue Parliament
"Parliament must not be prorogued or dissolved unless and until the Article 50 period has been sufficiently extended or the UK's intention to withdraw from the EU has been cancelled." has 1,717,657 signatures. Government responds to all petitions that get more than 10,000 signatures

Parliament will debate this petition on 9 September 2019. You'll be able to watch online on the UK Parliament YouTube channel. The Government will respond.

Firecracker123 Wed 04-Sep-19 14:38:47

Common sense and democracy has prevailed.

lemongrove Wed 04-Sep-19 14:18:12

It was never going to be a matter for the courts to decide on.
Impossible for them to judge.

Elegran Wed 04-Sep-19 13:37:17

Yes, WWM2
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-49568760?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/scotland/edinburgh_east_and_fife&link_location=live-reporting-story

Judge said "that the issue was for politicians and voters to judge, and not the courts.

He said there had been no contravention of the law by the UK government. "

Whitewavemark2 Wed 04-Sep-19 10:06:40

Is the judgement this morning?

varian Wed 04-Sep-19 09:49:10

Johnson has declined to give a sworn affidavit to the Court of Sessions.

Perhaps even habitual liars want to avoid a charge of perjury.

Elegran Wed 04-Sep-19 09:43:46

QC Aidan O'Neill says court 'actively misled' over prorogation plan

A plan to shut down the UK Parliament was hatched two weeks before it was publicly announced, a Scottish court has been told.

Aidan O'Neill, the Lawyer for those challenging the prorogation move, highlighted a document dated 15 August containing proposals to shut parliament in September.

He told the Court of Session in Edinburgh: "That appears to be developing government policy as of 15 August, but this court was told nothing of that and was told in fact that this judicial review is academic, hypothetical and premature.

"That is not true. This court and these petitioners were being actively misled."

03 Sep 2019 Edinburgh Court of Session.

Contempt, not only of Parliament but of the Court of Law.

varian Tue 03-Sep-19 18:43:32

And bumbling, lying through his teeth, Boris Johnson is a national embarrassment

lemongrove Tue 03-Sep-19 16:27:34

Of course they saw it coming, probably thought more than one would do it.
True, Johnson is not David Cameron ( that old smoothie?)
When he stands up to speak, but not many people are.
T May was articulate but boring.Corbyn gets too rattled and becomes Mr Angry.

Lessismore Tue 03-Sep-19 16:27:31

No he is fantastic, he is a demi God and I fancy him like crazy. Good old Bozza will sort out this almightly mess. then he can go home and enjoy extra custard with his nursery pudding.

Labaik Tue 03-Sep-19 16:18:32

Does anyone else find that Johnsons bumbling was of speaking, whilst amusing on programmes such as HIGNFY, is really grating when one has to listen to it for long periods of time?

MaizieD Tue 03-Sep-19 16:16:28

If Johnson (or rather, Cummings) didn't see that coming I'd be astonished. Lee has been 'considering' it all summer. I'm sure Cummings they will have a 'plan'.

JessK Tue 03-Sep-19 15:57:59

Well I bet Boris didn't see that coming. The government now have no working majority.

mostlyharmless Tue 03-Sep-19 15:49:30

He stood up while Boris was addressing the House. Walked across the floor and sat with the Libdems! That’s a dramatic way to defect.

mostlyharmless Tue 03-Sep-19 15:47:05

Tory MP Philip Lee has defected to the Libdems.
That means the Government have lost their narrow majority!

Labaik Tue 03-Sep-19 15:40:46

Kay Burleigh [sp] on Sky News has been running rings round several politicians just now. Why has it taken this long for tv interviewers to actually point it out when people are telling blatant lies?

jura2 Tue 03-Sep-19 14:57:45

so now we know, that Boris was planning proroguing weeks ago, all the time hw assured us all this is something he'd never even consider.

absthame Tue 03-Sep-19 12:49:14

I thought most of Johnson's bodies were in cupboards or his beds gringrin

trisher Tue 03-Sep-19 11:48:06

Maybe he knows where all the bodies are buried!!!

Labaik Tue 03-Sep-19 11:46:15

...I'm beginning to wonder if even Johnson is actually petrified of Cummings?

Labaik Tue 03-Sep-19 11:45:22

All I can think of [and there's no reason for it] are Monty Python's Spanish Inquisition sketches. I'm probably fantasising about a small group of people bursting into Johnson's Cummings office and stopping him from wrecking the country....

trisher Tue 03-Sep-19 11:03:25

Now all I can think of is Paul Simon's song "You can call me Al" and I had to watch the video. It's so appropriate, not only is one man pretending to sing when it's really the other one (Boris and Cummings) but the words fit as well!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq-gYOrU8bA

growstuff Mon 02-Sep-19 20:44:55

Never mind! grin You make more sense than the government!

MaizieD Mon 02-Sep-19 20:41:09

Johnson's first name is Alexander, his friends know him as Al. growstuff

Oh, Sorry about last post, I'm getting muddled here. First comment applies, second is a misreading on my part. blush

MaizieD Mon 02-Sep-19 20:37:02

Crystaltipps was quoting Day6's delusional statement about the country warming to him.

And pointing out that it's not half the country wanting 'no deal'. At the last poll it was 20% in favour of no deal. How that turns into 'half the country' I'm really hard put to comprehend.