Gransnet forums

News & politics

So he’s done it?

(801 Posts)
MawB Wed 28-Aug-19 09:31:48

The end of hopes of stopping a no deal Brexit?
Just announced.
The Queen will be asked by the government to suspend Parliament days after MPs return to work - and a matter of weeks before the Brexit deadline.
The BBC's political editor, Laura Kuenssberg, says it will make way for Boris Johnson's new administration to hold a Queen's Speech - laying out the government's future plans - on 14 October
But it means MPs are unlikely to have time to pass any laws that could stop the prime minister taking the UK out of the EU without a deal on 31 October.
A No 10 source said: "It's time a new government and new PM set out a plan for the country after we leave the EU
The idea of shutting down Parliament - known as prorogation - has caused controversy, with critics saying it would stop MPs being able to play their democratic part in the Brexit process.

Luckygirl Wed 28-Aug-19 09:44:07

Goodbye democracy. sad

LadyGracie Wed 28-Aug-19 09:46:04

Hello democracy smile

Grany Wed 28-Aug-19 09:47:56

Brexit: Leaders agree on tactics to stop no-deal in meeting with Jeremy Corbyn

www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/breaking-leaders-reach-agreement-tactics-19013320?fbclid=IwAR1U0K1hTDP2BSYKnCi1iegfUUqZ2unRzYUGYWOxjDzK7-Is2kcxkngEyAQ

MawB Wed 28-Aug-19 09:49:21

Too late?

trisher Wed 28-Aug-19 09:50:26

So we leave with No deal simply because Boris has managed to timetable things to fit the demands of a small number of right wing activists. How can that be democracy?
Does anyone know if the Queen has to comply with the request? What if a large number of MPs were to ask her not to suspend parliament?

Elegran Wed 28-Aug-19 09:56:17

Well, Boris has made sure that his name will go down in the history books. But what for?

humptydumpty Wed 28-Aug-19 09:57:08

trisher my thought exactly - what is the pint of asking the queen otherwise? - he is a PM with no democratic mandate, this is absolutely scandalous - in the interest of democracy she should refuse.

Grandad1943 Wed 28-Aug-19 10:00:46

I posted the below on the Johnson and Brexit thread, but seeing as we have this subject being discussed on this thread also, i will paste my comments here also

On hearing the news that Johnson is about to suspend Parliament to allow for a no-deal Brexit, everyone in this office stopped and could not believe what they were hearing.

In all probability, an immediate motion of no confidence in this government on the return of Parliament next week is now the only way forward to stop this government taking this country out of the European Union without the involvement of Parliament.

There could also be the possibility that the monarch could refuse to sign of Johnson's wishes.

Surely this has to be the largest threat to democracy and stability of this country since the fifteenth century

Gonegirl Wed 28-Aug-19 10:02:27

It hasn't happened yet. There could be a vote of no confidence that goes against Boris. A General Election could be called. It's not a done deal yet.

MamaCaz Wed 28-Aug-19 10:03:34

I AM ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED - THEY HARP ON ABOUT 'DEMOCRACY THEN DO THIS!
YES, I AM SHOUTING, AND IT'S ALL I CAN DO NOT TO SWEAR ON HERE. angry

Gonegirl Wed 28-Aug-19 10:03:40

No way will the Queen get involved in that way She will do what is asked of her.

Gonegirl Wed 28-Aug-19 10:04:19

Wait and see MamaCaz. Just sit and watch.

JessK Wed 28-Aug-19 10:04:20

Lets hope HM refuses the request to suspend parliament. She needs to be mindful of the wishes of the majority, all be it slim.

Elegran Wed 28-Aug-19 10:07:21

The wording so far is that he is asking that the queen prorogue Parliament, so it would appear that it is her decision.

Also, she does ask potential PMs whether they believe they can form a government, and if they answer in the affirmative, then requests them to do so. That would assume that she chooses her Prime Minister, and would mean that she could "sack" Boris and appoint someone else (but who?) if she wanted to.

In a very long reign (during which, whatever anyone thinks personally about monarchy/presidency, she has seen many emergencies and changes of policy, and remained a steady rock in shifting tides) she has never done that. If she were to go that route it would show that she feels the country faces a severe constitutional crisis - even one of survival! I would trust her experience more readily than I would trust ambitious politicians

mostlyharmless Wed 28-Aug-19 10:09:45

Boris Johnson seems to think he is above democracy. He has a majority of one in Parliament.
He is setting himself against Parliament. Doesn’t that make it more likely that Parliament will vote against him in a VONC?

MamaCaz Wed 28-Aug-19 10:09:45

I will be contacting our MP (Andrea Leadsom) today to tell her exactly what I think of this, for all the good it will do.

If they go ahead with this, I will never, ever vote Tory again, and yes, as a floating voter, I have done so on occasions in the past.

GracesGranMK3 Wed 28-Aug-19 10:18:07

Hadn't seen this. Have posted elsewhere.

MawB Wed 28-Aug-19 10:23:00

In all probability, an immediate motion of no confidence in this government on the return of Parliament next week is now the only way forward to stop this government taking this country out of the European Union without the involvement of Parliament

Absolutely Grandad I am speechless at the man’s audacity and arrogance. I am thinking it is just possibly part of his “Who is going to blink first” approach to the EU but such a dangerous game.

MamaCaz Wed 28-Aug-19 10:23:09

Seems he's not just content with dragging us out of the EU whatever the cost to our country, but is even prepared to cause a constitutional crisis in the process.

GracesGranMK3 Wed 28-Aug-19 10:30:28

They can only bring a no confidence vote if the think they will win it. That depends on the anti no-deal Conservatives, the Liberals and the SNP all of whom have said they will not put getting rid of a no deal Brexit ahead of giving this power to Jeremy Cornyn.

I wouldn't be surprised if they hang fire on the no confidence vote.

GracesGranMK3 Wed 28-Aug-19 10:33:42

MamaCaz I think he is gaming parliament as much as he is gaming the EU. He expects or intends them to vote on "his" deal which is actually May's deal in all but name.

jura2 Wed 28-Aug-19 10:34:55

The saddest day of my life, politically speaking. I feel sick and really upset.

GracesGranMK3 Wed 28-Aug-19 10:37:27

You and a lot of us Jura.

I see the pound is falling currently.

jura2 Wed 28-Aug-19 10:40:58

GGMK3 - we are down more than 60%- and every time the Pound falls, the Swiss Franc goes up. But this is not about us- we are in a unique position even among expats in the EU.

My reaction if beyond our purse and enforced poverty. Way beyond.