Gransnet forums

News & politics

Chinese buying up all the baby milk !

(229 Posts)
gillybob Sat 31-Aug-19 10:00:35

I saw it with my own eyes yesterday as DD and I were in Boots (Newcastle) looking for baby milk and baby juice. My Dd has told me in the past that she has struggled to find milk in town and that the shelves are often bare and she often has to try quite a few different shops before finding any.

Yesterday I questioned an assistant and she told me “oh don’t get me started, I could stock the shelves to the top right now (if we had any) and the Chinese would come in and buy it all. We have had to limit the milk to 10 boxes per person but they come in 6 and 8 at a time and take the maximum amount per person , meaning that people like your daughter cannot even get one box.....ditto the special baby juices”

Apparently they send it all back to China . There is a large Chinese population in Newcastle and this is becoming common place in most of the shops that stock baby products. I had to hear it with my own ears and see it to believe it ! shock

Thankfully Evie is only having one bed time bottle a day now which is just as well. Not sure they can do about it ? Making the limits per person 2 or 3 instead of 10 might be a good start though.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 03-Sep-19 10:04:11

lemongrove ??????

trisher Tue 03-Sep-19 10:34:53

Well I had exactly the opposite experience (I always hesitate to bring the personal into debates because this is usually the case). First baby taken away to be given a bottle (So you can get some rest dear) I had to actively protest that they were to leave him alone and I was going to breast feed. The fact remains that society still doesn't recognise the needs of a new mother and in many ways it is harder to breast feed and frowned on by some when done in public. That's without going into the myths and sexual expectations about breasts absorbed by everyone in our society.

jura2 Tue 03-Sep-19 10:47:26

exactly Trisher - same happened to me - oh you were tired after such a bad labour and final Csection, we fed baby a few bottles to give you a break- then they give you samples ...

I had to fight to feed, found it difficult, was so painful due to Csection scar- and I am so glad I made it- despite it all. Breast is best, and we should therefore give new mums all the support they need to succeed.

This thread is however NOT about pros versus cons - but about people from countries were safe standards are not guaranteed, choosing to buy in countries where they are, as in the UK, as part of EU safety rules- which we will soon loose.