Gransnet forums

News & politics

NO DEAL is the only way. The EU 'wrote' the WA Agreement.

(306 Posts)
Day6 Sun 01-Sep-19 17:11:59

and it ties us to the EU indefinitely.

The Irish backstop could be the least of our worries.

May's WA must be rejected completely. It is an incredibly complicated document leaving hardly a subject not covered, and everything in it has been designed to be beneficial to the EU.

I doubt if any MP has read it from cover to cover. Nearly every paragraph is cross-referenced to a Treaty, Regulation or Directive, and each one has to be looked up, read and understood before moving on. It takes hours.

So says John Ashworth in his article This EU-written Withdrawal Agreement is toxic from start to finish

www.conservativewoman.co.uk/this-eu-written-withdrawal-agreement-is-toxic-from-start-to-finish/

It is a very revealing article, written by someone who has made an effort to link the words to the many treaties, acts and sub-paragraphs which determine the UK's role after a decidedly dodgy exit (or non-exit as it transpires) from the EU.

It is very worrying.

He concludes

During any transition period, we would not be classified as a ‘third country’, so although technically one could claim that we had left the EU, in practical terms, we *wouldn’t have done so – rather the opposite*

We would effectively be controlled by the EU to such a degree that we might just as well shut our Parliament down

We would finally become a ‘third country’ on 1 January 2023, as it is doubtful that the EU would consider an extension other than on the previous transition terms, which would essentially mean that we would still not have left the EU in any meaningful way

We would still be paying our ongoing fees, at full rate, to the EU. The EU would still control our fisheries and our armed forces and we would still be subject to the European Court of Justice, with our Parliament still essentially sidelined. No one in their right minds could want us to be in such a situation

We do not want Brexit in name only (BRINO) which is what the WA will give us, if our only request is the dropping of the backstop.

Boris, must be careful. May's WA is a non-starter. Farage, in waiting, understands that the WA has to be rejected - in full.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 23-Sep-19 12:49:19

Sarah Wollaston MP

By May next year many of our fellow citizens who have retired abroad to EU nations will be faced with a bleak reality; uninsurable with no healthcare. Will Govt be repatriating them too?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 23-Sep-19 12:45:56

At the very least it seems that your medication might be delayed.

It would seem sensible to request more medication well in advance of you needing them.

growstuff Mon 23-Sep-19 12:09:49

Five of the seven medicines I have on repeat prescription are on that list.

Despite the denials, Matt Hancock has warned pharmacists and hospitals to prepare for an additional delay.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 23-Sep-19 11:48:55

List of medicines that will be difficult to obtain post-brexit

pbs.twimg.com/media/EFDmmjIW4AAsFlS?format=jpg&name=large

maddyone Fri 20-Sep-19 18:00:08

No trisher, it’s a joke!

AlexxTG Fri 20-Sep-19 17:08:26

It remembers me a time when recently I've read how European Parliament has urged for trade and travel sanctions on India, and had no motives to do that. (found over here: chicagomorningstar.com/european-parliament-calls-for-sanctions-on-india-amid-kashmir-human-rights-situation). How fair is that? And what exact purposes do they want to proceed with?

varian Wed 18-Sep-19 19:41:05

The U.K. simply doesn’t seem to know how to play the game of give and take needed to negotiate with a far larger partner.

www.politico.eu/article/brexit-britain-small-boring-and-stupid-theresa-may-eu-withdrawal-deal/

trisher Mon 16-Sep-19 10:35:28

Oh Arr growstuff fled from the famine didn't I? And brought my shillelagh and a leprechaun with me. (OMG is this racist?)

humptydumpty Sun 15-Sep-19 22:30:51

Maybe kapitan==andy from days of yore?

growstuff Sun 15-Sep-19 21:38:44

Trisher You're obviously so old that you can remember when the island of Ireland was all under British rule.

(only joking grin)

trisher Sun 15-Sep-19 21:20:33

Anyone who imagines that there could ever be a United Ireland under British rule has little knowledge of history and their opinions are hardly worthy of consideration. At least us pinko retirees know something about the subjects we post about.

growstuff Sun 15-Sep-19 21:09:58

I know, Kapitan. Thankfully, I enjoy my work, but I do sometimes regret having more time to leave comments on social media.

Do you have a problem with those who have retired? Most of them have already paid their taxes,

varian Sun 15-Sep-19 20:30:42

I really don't think anyone would pay you for expressing your opinions kapitan so don't give up the day job.

Kapitan Sun 15-Sep-19 18:39:03

A bot? I would love to be paid for expressing my opinion. Unfortunately not. I have to go to work to earn money from which tax is deducted to finance the lifestyle of the unemployed and retired who have nothing better to do all day then leave their comments on here.

varian Sat 14-Sep-19 08:54:01

Former senior brexit official says the claim that a no-deal brexit represents a "clean break" in our relationship with the EU is nonsense.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/14/hopes-of-clean-break-with-eu-are-nonsense-says-ex-brexit-official

This man is an expert, so likely to be ignored by leavers.

growstuff Fri 13-Sep-19 21:03:57

Kapitan seems to be doing a good impression of a bot. Of course, I can't actually accuse him/her of being a bot because I understand that's against GN rules.

PS. Hope he/she is being paid well (hypothetically).

varian Fri 13-Sep-19 19:45:30

Elites????

You mean the billionaire proprietors of the right wing press or the millionaire old Etonians like Boris Johnson or Jacob Rees Mogg or the spivvy millionaire ex public school ex bankers like Nigel Farage or the Russian funded brexit backer Arron Banks??? or their disaster capitalist friends????

These are the elites who have fooled millions of decent poor people and will be laughing all the way to the bank if this brexit nonsense is not stopped.

Kapitan Fri 13-Sep-19 19:38:22

Anja. Someone has to address the arrogant posturing of the liberal elite.

Anja Thu 12-Sep-19 07:38:04

Kapitan if throwing insults at those with a social conscience is the best argument you can muster then you are to be pitied.

Dyffryn Wed 11-Sep-19 21:27:06

Stop reading the right winged press and the BBC and snippets of what come out of peoples mouths and start listening to what they actually say.

Lessismore Wed 11-Sep-19 20:53:53

Whats the opposite of a pinko.....a thicko?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Sep-19 20:44:18

kapitan still learning I see.

Kapitan Wed 11-Sep-19 20:40:27

For those who have raised the query, a Pinko is a 1950s/1960s originating term for a lukewarm communist. You know, the sort of people who read The Guardian. They have the gob, but not the guts.

varian Wed 11-Sep-19 19:52:41

Really?????

Labaik Wed 11-Sep-19 19:06:56

Well, at least Kapitan seems to have a solution to the Irish problem I suppose wink.