Gransnet forums

News & politics

Bercow disgraceful divulgence!!!

(103 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Wed 04-Sep-19 12:59:06

The speaker of the house divulged the school that Michael Goves children attend in the H of P last night.

This is surely not what he is paid to do, MPs children should not be put in a vulnerable position, will there now have to be security at the school?

glammanana Wed 04-Sep-19 15:32:17

Bercow certainly is out of order naming anything to do with the school another MPs child attends.
He suffers I think from small man syndrom so full of his own importance,has he been going to the same hairdresser as Boris ?

Labaik Wed 04-Sep-19 15:35:28

Sounds like the perfect description for Gove [imo]...

mcem Wed 04-Sep-19 15:36:03

I admit I was half-listening at the time but only took in the fact that the children of both Gove and Bercow attend the same school.

Bercow hardly gave away a secret as the news that Beatrice had been awarded a place at Greycoats was all over the Telegraph on 30 August.

Pearl clutching quite unnecessary in this case methinks.

Keep up the good work Mr Speaker.
Someone has to exert some control in that embarassing bearpit.

Nico97 Wed 04-Sep-19 15:36:27

Bercow - odious little toad. The sooner he's out the better !

Anniebach Wed 04-Sep-19 15:36:56

Seems Bercow is brilliant at defending the people so putting the safety of children at risk is ‘wonderful’

Labaik Wed 04-Sep-19 15:37:57

It was wrong [imo]. However, at this time of national crisis it shouldn't divert attention away from the fact this country is in one hell of a mess [and Gove is one of the instigators of that mess, not Bercow...].

mcem Wed 04-Sep-19 15:38:43

Telegraph. 30 August. Public knowledge.

janipat Wed 04-Sep-19 15:41:44

Like mcem I heard Bercow say that he (Gove) wouldn't behave the same way at the school both their children went to. He did not name the school, but all their children's schools are a matter of public knowledge.

Grandma70s Wed 04-Sep-19 15:41:52

Where Gove’s children (and Bercow’s, apparently) go to school is hardly a secret. It’s a first-rate state school, and I’d send children there if I could afford a house in the catchment area.

I find Bercow very entertaining, and far more articulate than the so-called Prime Minister.

Calendargirl Wed 04-Sep-19 15:42:38

Labaik.

No, IMO, Bercow definitely has the edge in the BAP little twit category, but we will have to agree to differ.

??‍♀️

Anniebach Wed 04-Sep-19 15:46:27

I don’t read the Telegraph

sunseeker Wed 04-Sep-19 15:51:19

Whether Bercow named the school or even if it was already known, bringing the family of an MP into a parliamentary debate is out of order and once again shows his complete lack of judgement

Pantglas1 Wed 04-Sep-19 15:55:15

It’s the children I feel sorry for, whether they be Gove’s or Rees Mogg’s when this sort of stuff happens. You can be anti Tory without bringing them into the equation otherwise you weaken any argument you’re trying to make.

SirChenjin Wed 04-Sep-19 15:55:51

I haven't listened to that latest offering from JB - is it The Grey Coat Hospital Comprehensive School? If so that's been public knowledge for yonks. Article from 2014 www.telegraph.co.uk/women/mother-tongue/10682672/Michael-Gove-state-school-Why-I-bottled-it-and-sent-my-son-to-private-school.html

Anniebach Wed 04-Sep-19 16:08:21

someone writes about it 5 years ago so it’s acceptable for the
Speaker to do so in Parliament?

Peonyrose Wed 04-Sep-19 16:09:00

The most skin creeping toad if man. He thinks he’s so superior, quite the opposite in fact. It is s potential security risk to bring children’s schools and private lives into the house. He should be sacked, he knew what he was doing alright,

westendgirl Wed 04-Sep-19 16:14:15

I am pretty sure that the school wasn't mentioned ,so why all the fuss? If people know which school it is it's obviously from the earlier Telegraph article.Was there a fuss castigating the paper at that time ? It was all right for Sarah Vine to name the school in an article she wrote for the the Daily Mail in March 2014.

Nandalot Wed 04-Sep-19 16:22:35

The name of the school was hardly a secret if you read all the fuss made about it in several of the papers in 2014.
He wasn’t bringing the child into the discussion merely Gove’s behaviour.
I think anyone who can control the noisy, riotous crowd of MPs, of whatever hue, deserves some admiration.

absthame Wed 04-Sep-19 17:11:45

I really do think most do not understand parliament and the behavior of parliamentarians.

Bercow is a little man who like so many of that stature over compensates in his behavior. It may well be that I don't like much of his personality however I am convinced that he is the best speaker that has been in the 60 years that I have taken an active interest in politics. He has done more than any other to defend parliament and it's members from an executive overreaching itself and also has been responsible for the substantial increase in the committee system and their powers.

Despite all of his shortcomings, parliament, our nation and our democracy owes Mr Speaker Bercow a great debt of gratitude.

janipat Wed 04-Sep-19 17:19:16

I too find much to dislike about Bercow's personality, but would agree he is an excellent speaker who knows the rules of parliament inside out and is determined that MPs will abide by them. Jumped up bullies hold no sway with him.

Chewbacca Wed 04-Sep-19 17:22:34

Whether the name of the school was known before Bercow said it again today is irrelevant. Bercow has demonstrated indiscretion; not a trait becoming of SOTH. But, having said that, he's a man known for bullying and overbearing behaviour so not entirely unexpected.

Pantglas1 Wed 04-Sep-19 17:40:26

The measure of any ‘man’ is how he treats the little people, those who work for him. His track record isn’t good.

Callistemon Wed 04-Sep-19 18:11:13

I think he is brilliant. Excellent at keeping the puerile and arrogant behaviour in order.
Whitewave but he proved himself no different to the rest of them on this occasion.

In fact worse, bringing someone's children and where they go to school into it.
Attack Gove if he wished to but that was unacceptable.

Callistemon Wed 04-Sep-19 18:14:34

Bercow is an excellent speaker and Sarah Vine is just another annoying Tory wife.

Well, Bercow has rather taken the lead in having an annoying and embarrassing wife hasn't he.

Chewbaccagrin

sunseeker Wed 04-Sep-19 18:16:09

absamathe Berco best speaker in 60 years!!!!!! I think Betty Boothroyd holds that distinction.