Gransnet forums

News & politics

Billy Bunter, Lower Forth, Greyfriars.

(126 Posts)
GracesGranMK3 Wed 04-Sep-19 20:25:14

I just wondered if anyone else noticed this character on the front bench in parliament this evening. He has grown older since his school days, as we would expect, and lost some hair but the inane grin as the camera pans in is still there as are the schoolboy jokes and the bullies idea that silly names make him look clever.

I cheered up when I realised it was actually him, after all you only have to choose to look away and he will no longer exist.

BradfordLass72 Thu 05-Sep-19 09:09:37

I had to look John Bercow up, if indeed it is he to whom we refer.

I know absolutely nothing about him, not even his name until I read it here but browsing the Wikipedia page it seems he is the sort of person whom one might praise and wish to emulate.

He came from very humble roots and has worked long and hard hard in many areas to get where he is today.
Had it not been for illness, he may even have been a 1st class tennis player.

He excelled at university and eventually became the Speaker in the House of Commons.

And he looks nothing like poor old Billy Bunter.

Elegran Thu 05-Sep-19 09:15:04

If Billy Bunter had had the brains to realise that he could play to the gallery, and actually worked hard at being a caricature idiot, he would probably have risen to the top of of the class popularity poll and gone on to make a successful political career out of appearing to be dim.

Dinahmo Thu 05-Sep-19 09:17:16

It was obvious to me who GG meant. AS for the spelling mistake it's easy enough to hit the wrong key, especially if you have a keyboard that sticks.

BradfordLass72 Thu 05-Sep-19 09:18:14

PS: Before anyone leaps in to tell me all the horrible things he's done... there never was a politician who did absolutely everything right.

A wise friend of mine, now pretty high up in NZ politics once told me, 'You simply don't get this high in politics without making some wrong moves or turning a blind eye when you would rather not, it's a murky game.'

Gonegirl Thu 05-Sep-19 09:23:40

Tell us straight out GGMK3. Is it Boris you are referring to? If it is, then I can definitely see the resemblance. It's not so much in the detail physically. It's how he comes across that seems to complete the picture.

And I don't give a stuff how anyone spells fourth, forth, or any other number of the alphabet.

#joke

Gonegirl Thu 05-Sep-19 09:24:39

Oh, and I like Boris. I think he is great. ?

GracesGranMK3 Thu 05-Sep-19 09:26:50

And dyslexia leads to writing being a little garbled at times and almost always to those who think they are better people because that is not their challenge Pantglas1.

Gonegirl Thu 05-Sep-19 09:31:12

Aging brain contributes to my mode of spelling.

Pantglas1 Thu 05-Sep-19 09:33:44

Be assured that I definitely don’t think I’m better than anyone with a learning problem as I suffer from dyscalculia myself.

My point was that you made a mocking post and seem surprised that it was mocked in turn.

GracesGranMK3 Thu 05-Sep-19 12:43:50

I strangely think that must be more difficult than dyslexia Pantglas but then, they do say that if we all hung our challenges on a tree and could then take back whatever you chose, most would take back the one we are familiar with.

I mocked a man prepared to destroy the lives and livelihoods of people in our country who has put himself in the position he is in for his egos sake. The mocking that followed was personal and of a fellow member. I am quite happy to let GNHQ decide if this is okay, as I know some of those who thought it a bit of a "wheeze", like to do that.

It always makes me wonder about people who like to pick others up in this way as it is so often just proving what they learned in Junior school. Why would they make a "thing" out of that I wonder? Does "I went to junior school' mean so much?

Lessismore Thu 05-Sep-19 13:05:05

Lets all have a chorus.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zT8AyfsFmA

mcem Thu 05-Sep-19 13:06:10

In the words of junior school..........You started it!

Lilypops Thu 05-Sep-19 13:06:16

Why do you all start to bicker and get nasty and sniping at each other , We are all entitled to our opinion , I wouldn't want to ever enter in to a political discussion on Gransnet for that reason ,

MawB Thu 05-Sep-19 13:08:43

The mocking that followed was personal and of a fellow member
It was indeed GracesgranMk3 when you rudely told me not to worry your little head and leave it to those who know what it’s about
Glasshouses, stones?

maddyone Thu 05-Sep-19 13:10:46

Oh dear!

GracesGranMK3 Thu 05-Sep-19 15:28:50

In the words of junior school..........You started it! (Thu 05-Sep-19 13:06:10)

About a politician in the news at the moment, not a personal attack on a GN member mcem. It's not only me that thinks that's a very different thing; I think you will find the rules do too. Would you like me to check with GNHQ for you?

GracesGranMK3 Thu 05-Sep-19 15:33:20

I rather thought you were joining in the stones already being thrown so childishly MawB. If you were really unaware of what had been happening yesterday I apologise although it does seem strange that you would then join in a politics thread.

mcem Thu 05-Sep-19 15:47:34

Another incomprehensible post?

I am well aware of what has been happening yesterday and today.

No idea why you would see it as strange that I should join a politics thread.

MawB is probably the last person at whom I'd throw stones, insults, brickbats or anything else.

Advice. As the hole gets deeper anyone with a modicum of intelligence stops digging!

OTOH maybe that's just where this appalling thread should be buried.

Gonegirl Thu 05-Sep-19 15:51:08

I cannot stand it when someone adds an "Oh dear" to a thread.

So patronising. And holier than thou.

Gonegirl Thu 05-Sep-19 15:55:05

"Body shaming"?! Of Boris?!!!!

Anything goes with him. And not just because of Brexit. grin

Chewbacca Thu 05-Sep-19 15:59:13

I thought that you were referring to Bercow GGMK. It's not gone as intended really has it? hmm

mcem Thu 05-Sep-19 16:11:07

Body shaming?
Re height of Bercow and nasty remarks about having to lift him up to the big chair so that he can see what's going on.
Wonder what reaction there would be if a female were ridiculed like that!

Sauce? Goose? Gander?

Chewbacca Thu 05-Sep-19 16:19:14

No worse than body shaming someone for being a fat, bespectacled boy in too tight trousers, I wouldn't have thought? confused And the gender is irrelevant.

Urmstongran Thu 05-Sep-19 17:01:41

I just think this was a silly little thread that has backfired on the OP.

Gonegirl Thu 05-Sep-19 17:20:24

The OP wasn't actually insulting a Gransnetter.

I can't see anything wrong with the OP. but I never did read Billy Bunter.