Gransnet forums

News & politics

Gina Miller case thrown out bet that's wiped the smile off her smug face.

(149 Posts)
Firecracker123 Fri 06-Sep-19 11:46:36

Gina Miller and John Major's case against the PM proroguing Parliament thrown out.

mcem Fri 06-Sep-19 12:50:01

GmaKT far from assuming an element of responsibility for the chaos of brexit, all I want to do on a personal level is ignore someone whose posts I find unacceptable.
I am not advocating mass censorship!

SirChenjin Fri 06-Sep-19 12:50:12

Perhaps she could always find a bench to lie down on if she finds it all too much for her.

I'm sure she won't though, she has more self respect.

WadesNan Fri 06-Sep-19 12:52:53

Did I miss the vote where Ms Miller was elected to represent UK voters?

Huguenot Fri 06-Sep-19 12:57:38

I think she is a trouble-maker but maybe the thread title could be more factual, not quite so ...

Huguenot Fri 06-Sep-19 12:58:01

Quite

MawB Fri 06-Sep-19 13:01:58

Not that OP is being smug of course hmm

SirChenjin Fri 06-Sep-19 13:29:05

It was in the same vote which elected Prime Minister Cummings Wades

Ilovecheese Fri 06-Sep-19 13:47:05

This is a very unpleasant thread title, I don't know if it is more or less unpleasant than that of a recently deleted thread which also supported the leave position. Surely these can't be a true representation of the mindset of every leave voter?

We don't need an ignore facility though, we can just ignore those posts that we don't feel have added anything to the discussion.

GracesGranMK3 Fri 06-Sep-19 14:02:12

GmaKT far from assuming an element of responsibility for the chaos of brexit, all I want to do on a personal level is ignore someone whose posts I find unacceptable. I am not advocating mass censorship!

Exactly. I am on another forum where it exists and I have, I think, three posters on "ignore". This is not because of their views but of their language, because they are always personal and rarely if ever contribute anything additional to the discussion. I would walk away from any conversation they were involved in and not have to listen, so why can we not do the same thing on line?

GracesGranMK3 Fri 06-Sep-19 14:04:00

Did I miss the vote where Ms Miller was elected to represent UK voters? (Fri 06-Sep-19 12:52:53)

Mmm. If you mix up politics and the law like this it is no wonder we get people who don't understand democracy.

GracesGranMK3 Fri 06-Sep-19 14:07:15

Surely these can't be a true representation of the mindset of every leave voter?

You think? I can show you much, much worse. Lack of knowledge actually makes people believe they know much, much more than they do.

The trouble is it deflects from the actual topic - but then that may well be the intention.

Firecracker123 Fri 06-Sep-19 14:08:24

If posters want to ignore posts I would suggest you don't comment on a thread started by that poster and don't comment on it, or is that not simple enough for some on here lol.

As Corporal Jones in Dad's Army said

'They don't like it up em do they'?

Grandad1943 Fri 06-Sep-19 14:33:47

It may well be that Boris Johnson may be wishing he had not prorogued Parliament early next week. It is being reported that he is to attempt once again on Monday to place before the House of Commons a bill to bring forward a General Election in October.

In a joint statement, all the opposition parties in the House of Commons have advised they will not agree to a General Election taking place until Boris Johnson has gained a further extension to Article Fifty.

The foregoing Johnson has stated he in the role of the British Prime Minister will never request.

Therefore, with (I believe) Parliament due to go into recess on Monday due to Johnsons prorogue there will be no further parliamentary time available for any further action to be brought about.

Of course, no one can rule out that untrustworthy Johnson and his sidekick Cummings will not attempt some action outside of Parliament so as not to be forced to go to the European Commission and ask for that extension.

In that, he could resign and do this nation a big favour.

Ilovecheese Fri 06-Sep-19 14:41:34

But, Firecracker123 you have raised an important topic, if posters were to ignore the thread and not comment because of the unpleasant way that the thread was started, the subject would either not be discussed at all, or multiple threads on the same issue would be started by different posters which does make rather a muddle.

I don't understand your reference to Dad's Army.

lemongrove Fri 06-Sep-19 14:56:49

I don’t think that Johnson is expecting a different answer about an election, but it allows him to show voters that twice those in Opposition Parties have squirmed away from holding one.It will be splashed across the newspapers and that is what he wants.

growstuff Fri 06-Sep-19 14:57:52

Are you sure he wants to advertise his failure to get an election?

M0nica Fri 06-Sep-19 15:03:03

I'm sorry growstuff but that kind of vindictive attitude is what has made Brexit such an intractable problem.

love0c Fri 06-Sep-19 15:05:41

Ha ha ha. My goodness I have read far more unpleasant comments on this GM site!!! I agree it would be nice to wipe that smile of her smug face.

Ramblingrose22 Fri 06-Sep-19 15:12:52

We've gone off topic from the OP.

Responding to that first, Gina Miller's case was always a long shot. She'd do better to campaign for the UK to have a written constitution as the current situation leaves us wide open to all the machinations that we have been witnessing recently and there will no doubt be many more to come.

As for the PM trying to get an early election the reason is quite simple: he has no majority in parliament so he can't govern. He is in office but not in power.

Why should the Opposition and other parties agree to an election before 31st October? He would then have time to revoke the Benn bill if it becomes an Act and have a No Deal.

The longer BJ is PM the more chance voters will have to see what an arrogant and useless person he is. That's one of the reasons he prorogued Parliament. He can't cope with being opposed or answering legitimate questions truthfully. He thinks he is so persuasive that everyone who listens to him will be blown away by his charm.

Dyffryn Fri 06-Sep-19 15:15:57

There are some really nasty people on Gransnet. What a horrible country we have become.

MaizieD Fri 06-Sep-19 15:17:00

it allows him to show voters that twice those in Opposition Parties have squirmed away from holding one.

Indeed, lemon, that is certainly how it will be presented in most of the media.

However, the opposition parties are, in fact, representing the 80% of the country who don't want to leave the EU without a deal and to do that they have to ensure that the legislation they passed in Parliament is enacted. Once this has been done the opposition parties will be more than willing for a GE to be held

If Johnson has got a new 'deal' by then he 'may' be in a position of strength (though I think his prorogation shenanigans will have lost him support) . If he hasn't, he will have broken his promise to leave on Oct 31st. Not so strong...

lemongrove Fri 06-Sep-19 15:20:58

Of course he won’t have got a new deal, then or ever, since Parliament have taken no deal off the table.
That will also be obvious to voters.

lemongrove Fri 06-Sep-19 15:24:57

More people in the UK may well want to leave ( or prefer) to leave with a deal than leaving without one, but the point is, surely that The EU won’t give us a better one than the one already on the table, and Parliament will not agree to that!
Catch 22.
They (the EU) may have given us a slightly better deal if MPs hadn’t just removed all reason for them doing so.

varian Fri 06-Sep-19 15:25:30

"Better together than apart" has never rung more true.

For three years we have seen the UK become more and more chaotically divided and meanwhile, the other 27 EU member nations become more cohesive and supportive of the four freedoms which unite the Union, and in their determination to protect the Republic of Ireland.

Now we see the so-called "Conservative and Unionist Party" tearing itself apart and all of the other parties represented in the HOC (apart from the DUP) showing a remarkable willingness to work together for the good of the country and prevent a no deal brexit.

lemongrove Fri 06-Sep-19 15:27:57

Which article is that copied from Varian?
Does anyone seriously believe that Romania/Poland etc give a stuff about the ROI.