Gransnet forums

News & politics

Gina Miller case thrown out bet that's wiped the smile off her smug face.

(149 Posts)
Firecracker123 Fri 06-Sep-19 11:46:36

Gina Miller and John Major's case against the PM proroguing Parliament thrown out.

Firecracker123 Mon 09-Sep-19 08:13:11

Susiewoozie yes it was you were implying that a am racist which I am not. I could report you.

Labaik Mon 09-Sep-19 12:28:48

Then report it Firecracker; let's see how far you get with it. In fact, I'll report it for you...

suziewoozie Mon 09-Sep-19 13:47:20

There’s a legitimate discussion to be had on the proroguing of parliament and the appropriate relationship between the judiciary and the legislative. That debate could be had without focusing on the black woman involved who has always acted within the law and ignoring to all intents and purposes the role of the white man who joined her action. It’s all the worse because GM is the target everyday of racist sexist social media abuse some do serious that it led to imprisonment. Threads like this can contribute to that behaviour. Why OP did your thread have to be titled as it was and aimed so specifically at GM?

Firecracker123 Mon 09-Sep-19 15:03:18

Susiewoozie no one else mentioned Gina Millers colour only you, I never thought of it. Don't worry I don't do reporting.

suziewoozie Mon 09-Sep-19 15:14:21

I honestly am not concerned about being reported. I stand by what I’ve posted. Colour does not have to be mentioned for it to be relevant. I still don’t understand the vitriol in posts about GM and not JM.

Labaik Mon 09-Sep-19 15:29:07

I fully support what you've written suziewoozie...

Firecracker123 Mon 09-Sep-19 15:29:31

It's probably because GM started all the Court proceedings.

Chestnut Mon 09-Sep-19 16:01:07

Colour does not have to be mentioned for it to be relevant

So any comment or criticism of a non-white person is racism? How ridiculous. Gina Miller's colour or race has absolutely nothing to do with any of this, but it's a card that many people keep up their sleeve when they have no hand left to play.

suziewoozie Mon 09-Sep-19 16:17:20

No - any comment or criticism of a black persons is not automatically racist - context is everything.

varian Mon 09-Sep-19 19:07:02

Gina Miller has done her utmost to defend our parliamentary democracy.

Watch BBC Parliament channel now to understand how important that is.

suziewoozie Wed 11-Sep-19 10:52:56

I wonder whose smug face has had the smile wiped off their face now?

suziewoozie Wed 11-Sep-19 10:55:48

On the other hand, I expect the three judges are enemies of the people and should be locked up forthwith

jura2 Wed 11-Sep-19 10:56:26

It depends surely what the purpose of the Progoragation, surely? Not all prorogations are the same, and the purpose of this one by Johnson is to simply shut up all opposition, stopping questions being asked, in a time of dire crisis.

How hypocritical indeed to refuse to see the CLEAR difference.

suziewoozie Wed 11-Sep-19 11:00:54

The Scottish judges have been blisteringly clear as to what they believe to be BJ’s motives.

SirChenjin Wed 11-Sep-19 11:09:43

Yes, but they're Scottish and everyone knows that they are biased/aren't real judges/shouldn't have a say in English affairs/insert your choice of Leaver's phrase here.

Excellent news - the law has seen this prorogation for what it is.

Elegran Wed 11-Sep-19 11:49:35

SirChenjin Leavers would say, I imagine, that Lord Doherty is the only unbiased one of these four judges. All out of step but our Johnny!

The parliamentarians appealed to the Inner House of the Court of Session after their original challenge to the suspension of Parliament was dismissed by judge Lord Doherty last week.

Lord Doherty said Mr Johnson had not broken the law by proroguing Parliament, and that it was for MPs and the electorate to judge the prime minister's actions rather than the courts.

But the three Inner House judges said they disagreed with Lord Doherty's ruling because this particular prorogation had been a "tactic to frustrate Parliament" rather than a legitimate use of the power

^ One of the three judges, Lord Brodie, said: "This was an egregious case of a clear failure to comply with generally accepted standards of behaviour of public authorities.^

"It was to be inferred that the principal reasons for the prorogation were to prevent or impede Parliament holding the executive to account and legislating with regard to Brexit, and to allow the executive to pursue a policy of a no-deal Brexit without further Parliamentary interference."

And Lord Drummond Young said that the UK government had failed to show a valid reason for the prorogation, adding: "The circumstances, particularly the length of the prorogation, showed that the purpose was to prevent such scrutiny.

"The only inference that could be drawn was that the UK government and the prime minister wished to restrict Parliament."

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-49661855

crystaltipps Wed 11-Sep-19 11:54:40

How anyone with more than half a brain could believe the longest prorogation since 1930 is just totally normal procedure and nothing to do with Mr Blobby and his puppet master shutting up his critics is beyond me. Talk about brainwashed.

mcem Wed 11-Sep-19 11:55:12

10.52 suzie ?

Labaik Wed 11-Sep-19 12:09:10

'Mr Blobby and his puppet master'.....grin….

Dyffryn Wed 11-Sep-19 21:28:15

BRAINWASHED

Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Sep-19 21:30:01

Joanna Cherry QC MP
@joannaccherry
·

Disgraceful sophistry from
@KwasiKwarteng
basically rabble rousing against the Scottish judiciary without the courage to own what he’s doing. This minority Tory Govt is a threat to #democracy & the #RuleOfLaw

NotSpaghetti Wed 11-Sep-19 22:27:00

Gina Miller case thrown out bet that's wiped the smile off her smug face
Not any more!

varian Thu 12-Sep-19 07:13:34

Jo Swinson speaks on behalf of a large cross party group of MPs.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-49665103/jo-swinson-our-resolve-remains-firm