Gransnet forums

News & politics

Bercow being ousted

(111 Posts)
Urmstongran Sun 08-Sep-19 07:40:59

Business Secretary Andrea Leadsom confirms for the first time that the Conservative Party will defy convention and put up a candidate against him in the next Election.

GracesGranMK3 Thu 12-Sep-19 08:12:39

Today 07:14 Urmstongran

You really do reflect the party you applauded UG. I has long been the case that if you are going to plagerise others writings, particularly direct quotes, you make it clear it is a quote and say where it cane from. It is not clever to pass off the writings of a Daily Telegraph columnist as your own*, it is as underhand as Johnson trying to usurp the sovereignty of parliament by closing it down.

Is this what the Conservative Party has done to this country that it's acolytes believe that any underhand more is allowable in the path to dictatorship?

*https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/09/10/farewell-john-bercow-partisan-wrecker-tradition/

Anja Thu 12-Sep-19 07:48:17

Urmstongran if you are going to quote from the right-wing press please acknowledge that quote rather than trying to pass it off as your own.

varian Thu 12-Sep-19 07:24:16

At the beginning of his political career Bercow was not just a Tory, he was an extreme right winger,

As he became older and wiser he took up a more moderate position which is why the ERGs see him as having abandoned their cult.

Urmstongran Thu 12-Sep-19 07:14:51

Bercow milked his audience and definitely played to the gallery - simpering ‘oh no, please, enough’ to the adoring Labour, Lib Dem and SNP backbenchers (well, everyone who wasn’t a Tory I suppose!) who were clapping (!) and cheering for him in the HoC.

At the end of Mr Bercow’s three-act opera, the fact that Labour MPs stood up and clapped and Tories did not portrayed an image that encapsulated the Speakership’s loss of cross-party respect.

Whether Mr Bercow has been quantifiably partisan or not is by the by; he is perceived as such and this has eroded the authority of his office.

I’m glad he’s leaving.

Harriet Harman is a strong woman and I hope she’s the Speaker come November.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 12-Sep-19 06:28:41

Marcus Chown
@marcuschown
·

When this is over and those who shafted us - Farage, Johnson, Cameron, Rees-Mogg, Davis, Gove, May & Co - are exposed for the criminal damage they have done to our country, remember one person did the right thing: John Bercow. He defended our Parliamentary democracy.

varian Tue 10-Sep-19 19:56:53

humptydumpty I'm glad to hear that folk you've spoken to recently are all pro-Bercow.

I did meet a couple recently who didn't like him but, surprise, surprise, they turned out to be Telegraph readers!

Labaik Tue 10-Sep-19 17:00:56

A lot of the praise for Bercow came from the heart and I found it quite moving, especially one that said how good he was to backbenchers.

GracesGranMK3 Tue 10-Sep-19 16:59:11

Just two hours after you started the thread I posted "Yet another misleading title.". Perhaps rather than life overtaking you UG, you were just trying to be too clever?

humptydumpty Tue 10-Sep-19 16:58:34

lemon I didn't make a reference to 'all the Conservative MPs'. What makes you think the general populace don't like him? everybody I've spoken to recentl;y think he's been doing a great job keeping order, and have found it also to be entertaining.

lemongrove Tue 10-Sep-19 16:53:09

Or all the general populace!

lemongrove Tue 10-Sep-19 16:52:27

humpty...if you think he was much loved by all the Conservative MPs, you’d better think again.

humptydumpty Tue 10-Sep-19 16:48:34

Sorry lemon that's rubbish. You may not like JB but I like him a lot, and in fact he is very popular with a lot of people, don't ascribe your feelings to everybody else.

lemongrove Tue 10-Sep-19 16:27:30

If it was ‘pre -planned’ it was done in an almighty hurry!
Of course he jumped before he was pushed, it’s obvious.
He was going to stand down before ( but didn’t) and no doubt
Once he heard he would be up against another candidate, decided to go now.
The fulsome praise in Parliament was like the funeral eulogies you often hear about characters that were disliked in life, but once dead, they were ‘marvellous’.?

humptydumpty Tue 10-Sep-19 15:41:57

No, Ug, as fennel stated, it was pre-planned, he hasn't decided to jump before he was pushed.

Urmstongran Tue 10-Sep-19 15:15:22

He was being ousted by the Tories who had decided to put up another Tory candidate at the next GE. Since my OP Bercow has decided to jump before he was pushed.

The move appeared almost certain to lead to the MP for Buckingham losing his seat, which boasts a 18,000 majority – hence his decision to stand down either after the election or on Oct 31, whichever is sooner.

#justclarifying

Labaik Tue 10-Sep-19 14:56:03

I do think if you actually start a thread you should know the full facts #justsaying

Urmstongran Tue 10-Sep-19 14:54:31

Well Fennel no one can keep up with all the unexpected twists & turns in 48 hours!!

Jeremy Corbyn, the Labour leader, has praised Mr Bercow for being a “superb” Speaker, and said he had “totally changed the way in which the job has been done”.

Bit of an understatement....

?

Fennel Tue 10-Sep-19 11:40:02

@ Urmstongran -
Your thread title is wrong - Bercow wasn't 'ousted'.
He went of his own accord, pre-planned as someone else pointed out.

WadesNan Tue 10-Sep-19 11:37:16

Perhaps they could ask Betty Boothroyd if she would take it on until Brexit is sorted - one of the best Speakers we have had

absthame Tue 10-Sep-19 11:30:38

I hope Harriet Harman is elected. It's time for another strong lady and the softer voice may take the heat out of many situations.

Hmmm thinking about it if she uses “the mother's squak," the one that pierces all children 's ears, to call Order Order, I think that it will be much more effective than a booming male shout gringrin

varian Tue 10-Sep-19 09:54:03

Harriet Harman explains how she sees the role of Speaker

www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-politics-49646257

SirChenjin Tue 10-Sep-19 08:50:31

Harman and Wishart have announced they're standing - both excellent candidates imo.

Fennel Mon 09-Sep-19 19:44:18

I thought there would have been a bigger majority for the vote at 7,30 pm. But still better than the other way.
Gove is a joke - nearly as bad as Johnson.

GracesGranMK3 Mon 09-Sep-19 19:26:25

Me too. Watching it I mean. If I thought prayer would help I would be doing that too.

jura2 Mon 09-Sep-19 19:19:28

Why oh why is he standing NOW and not wait until we have a GE or a second Ref? Is he being blackmailed ?