Gransnet forums

News & politics

Grab bags for Brexit.

(71 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Tue 10-Sep-19 08:18:04

Have you got yours ready?
What’s in it?
Apparently, just seen on Breakfast, we are being advised to carry back packs to make sure we are equipped for Brexit.
These should include- a torch, a whistle, matches and a wind up radio as well as lots of other essential bits of kit!
I think it’s serious advice.
What does yours have in it? Don’t think I heard the word gin.

Paperbackwriter Tue 10-Sep-19 13:22:15

I think a possible hospital bag is a good idea. I spent a frantic 20 minutes rushing around grabbing essentials when my husband fell off a ladder and was taken to hospital. If I'd known they film 24 Hours in A&E at St. George's, I'd also have included make-up.

willa45 Tue 10-Sep-19 14:45:28

Does anybody ever think to include a can opener?

shysal Tue 10-Sep-19 14:47:03

I have had a hospital bag packed for years, and also took a lot of the listed items plus many more on solo holidays, where most were used, often lent to others. In fact I charged my spare pay as you go basic phone from the bag only this morning. I also use this phone to send myself a text once a month to avoid it being cut off through non use. My regular smart phone needs charging every day so would soon run out if no power source was available.
'Be prepared ' should be my motto, although I was never a girl guide. smile

Rowantree Tue 10-Sep-19 15:06:11

This is because we aren't used to power failures/fires/floods? Sounds reminiscent of the US adverts in the 50s/60s advising you to hide under the table in the event of nuclear war. Anyone else remember 'Duck and Cover'?

Sussexborn Tue 10-Sep-19 15:06:35

My corned beef tin comes with it’s own can opener though getting it to work can be a challenge. We will have to survive on tinned fruit, masses of baked beans from when there was an extra special offer and the lagers left over from Christmas when one of the SILs had to work.

Having been plunged in to total darkness with three panicked children yelling for their Daddy (who would only have added to the chaos if he had been there) I do have a couple of torches, some candles and a box of matches kept in the cupboard under the stairs.

Rowantree Tue 10-Sep-19 15:07:02

I notice no one has included a potty. Or poo bags.

Hetty58 Tue 10-Sep-19 15:27:03

'Scuse me but what's the whistle for?

sunseeker Tue 10-Sep-19 15:31:36

Living in a rural area the electricity would go off with the slightest breeze so I always have a small torch next to my favourite chair to get me to the cupboard where I keep the candles and matches. Although that no longer happens (cables have been put underground) I still keep the torch and candles handy!

Also if we have heavy snow I get snowed in so I always have a well stocked freezer, a good supply of logs for the woodburner and lots of tinned goods in the pantry.

Lupin Tue 10-Sep-19 15:32:04

Have had what is known in the family as my Nuclear Winter Cupboard for years. In reality it's a supply of canned food, candles, matches and a torch as well. I really should add some fun items. Good brandy, chocolate ginger, macaroons. Pre emergency I could eat and replace these regularly in case they go stale. Should stop here or the list will be endless.

Doodledog Tue 10-Sep-19 15:32:50

I assume the whistle is to use if you get stuck in a ditch, or lost on the moors smile. All eventualities catered for!

My emergency box has come in handy over the years - there's nothing worse than groping round in the dark looking for a source of light before you can even start to do anything useful. I hope never to need some of the things in it, but it's good to know it is there, and the children raided it more than once before going festivals.

Nonnie Tue 10-Sep-19 15:36:48

The thought that anyone actually believed this is Brexit related shows how easy it is to con people! If its on MSM people will believe anything. I am not immune, some time ago on one of the Brexit threads someone stated that we were going to lose our EU veto in 2020 and I accepted it at face value. Only recently I discovered that it was false news, something minor changed in 2009!

Scottiebear Tue 10-Sep-19 15:51:44

My mp3 player so I don't have to listen to any more politicians. Chocolate and wine in case of a shortage.

annehinckley Tue 10-Sep-19 16:28:28

I think I carry a lot of these items in my handbag!

BlueSapphire Tue 10-Sep-19 16:36:39

When we lived in Northern Australia where cyclones were a seasonal possibility, (remember Cyclone Tracey in Darwin?) we were advised to have an emergency box ready, containing many of the things listed above. Luckily we never had to use it. Also most houses there are built with a reinforced room, usually the bathroom, where we had to go if a cyclone was expected imminently.
And no it is not a Brexit bag, as I have just read in my newspaper. This is scaremongering and ridiculous, in my opinion.
On the other hand it would be useful to have such a bag/box, in case of emergencies such as power cuts.
Mine would definitely have gin and tonic, chocolate and a bottle of Cointreau, for medicinal purposes only, you understand....

Fairiesfolly Tue 10-Sep-19 16:50:47

I agree it is scaremongering. However having lived in New Zealand for 10 years and going through the Christchurch earthquakes of 2010 and 2011 we always had an emergency box ready to run if need be. It is always advertised on TV there to be ready get through! Oh and don’t forget passports in case you need to fly out in an emergency but I don’t for one minute we need anything like that here. We haven’t always been attached to Europe and we survived beforehand so I am pretty sure we will get through it if we come out! Providing everyone doesn’t ‘Panic Buy’!

DotMH1901 Tue 10-Sep-19 16:51:36

Oh dear - that was funny - shows how advice from the Police given with the best of intentions is twisted in to a notice that panics people who believe Brexit is going to be the end of us all. If you travel then it is sensible to have basic items in a spare bag, either in the car or with you, but we are not going to descend into Dark Ages chaos!!!! Remember all the panic about the Millennium?? Are the majority of us still here and unscathed? Of course we are, and it will be the same with Brexit. Don't panic Mr Mainwaring!

Solonge Tue 10-Sep-19 17:00:23

Mine would be a big bag....more a suitcase...with a plane ticket....and I won’t be back. How anyone thinks ruining the UK for this was a good idea is frankly nuts.

Sparklefizz Tue 10-Sep-19 17:07:00

My daughter did some panic buying when she thought Brexit was happening back in March, but they've eaten it all now grin

grandtanteJE65 Tue 10-Sep-19 17:22:06

A go-bag is a spy's bag packed ready but kept hidden containing passports, money etc. It won't do you a blind bit of good if or when Brexit happens.

Somebody with morbid sense of humour posted that bit of advice.

Nonnie Tue 10-Sep-19 17:26:01

DotMH1901 Tue 10-Sep-19 16:51:36 yes and I think it was all the publicity and panic that meant companies took precautions which stopped it becoming a problem. Had they put their heads in the sand and called it Project Fear, it would have been a disaster!

notanan2 Tue 10-Sep-19 17:27:30

I have one! Its actually a grab sized folder of essential documents that I keep in a fire/flood proof box. Some documents are harder to replace than others.

I also have a wind up radio for emergencies, and a stock of non perishables

Not specifically for brexit, more likely extreme weather or even just a fire on my street etc

Doodledog Tue 10-Sep-19 17:30:49

I agree with Nonnie about the Millennium situation.

Now that I think about it, I might photocopy things like passports and birth certificates, and put the copies in my emergency box. If we did have to leave suddenly (and we do live on a flood plain) it would be much easier to grab them from the box than root about for them.

Elegran Tue 10-Sep-19 17:48:09

The Millenium - DH and several colleagues spent eighteen months scrutinising every line of every program involved in running the systems that brought an essential utility to the public. They were checking in case one line in tens of thousands might have contained an electronic instruction that didn't take into acount the fact that a second after 23 hours, 59 minutes and 59 seconds of the last day of 1999 would be 0 hours, 0 minutes, and 0 seconds of 2000 which would not have been allowed for in a program written some time previously when computers were less powerful and had less storage built into them

Had there been such a line, and had they missed it, the control systems would have failed, the machinery closed down, the distribution stopped dead. There would have been the mother of all power cuts, affecting homes, hospitals, life support systems, factories, schools, transport, traffic lights, airport control towers, you name it. The country would have ground to a halt, production halted, and lives would certainly have been lost.

Are the majority of us still here and unscathed? Yes, we are, because something was done about it. Not in panic, but as a planned exercise in finding and dealing with the possibility of disaster. It wasn't "Project Fear" It was "Look it full in the face and know what you have to deal with"

MamaCaz Tue 10-Sep-19 18:04:51

Wind-up radio?
I keep hoping that I will wake up in the morning to find that the whole of our current political mess is nothing more than a prank based on wind-up radio, wind-up television, wind-up newspapers and wind-up social media! grin (or grimace!)

patp Tue 10-Sep-19 18:41:27

I think you only really need a torch. With a torch you can easily find all the things you need in an emergency. If it was a fire then you really shouldn't stop for anything!