Gransnet forums

News & politics

Grab bags for Brexit.

(70 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Tue 10-Sep-19 08:18:04

Have you got yours ready?
What’s in it?
Apparently, just seen on Breakfast, we are being advised to carry back packs to make sure we are equipped for Brexit.
These should include- a torch, a whistle, matches and a wind up radio as well as lots of other essential bits of kit!
I think it’s serious advice.
What does yours have in it? Don’t think I heard the word gin.

lemongrove Tue 10-Sep-19 08:27:29

Haha! ???
Well, I would have a bar of chocolate, a woolly bobble hat,
A hip flask filled with strawberry gin ( since you mentioned the word gin ?) a bus timetable, my favourite socks, whatever book I’m reading at the moment, a compass, and a packet of plasters.

Grandad1943 Tue 10-Sep-19 08:28:30

Mine is already packed. Contents are:-
Bottle of Drambuie.
Bottle of Baileys
Couple of cans of cider.
Couple of bottles of red wine.
Clean underpants in case I wet myself after drinking all that.
Oh and a toilet roll. ?

lemongrove Tue 10-Sep-19 08:32:31

?

Chewbacca Tue 10-Sep-19 08:35:55

Got mine packed and ready by the front door:

1 thermos of coffee
2 packs of chocolate hob nobs
1 tube L'Occitan handcream
1 copy of Survival for Dummies
Packet of fags
Lighter

Gonegirl Tue 10-Sep-19 09:27:38

You do know this advice was put out by Thames Valley police, as part of a month long "What to do in an emergency" campaign. They have since stressed that it is nothing to do with Brexit. Just general advice.

Their timing was crass. It was obviously going to be misinterpreted. And jumped on by the media.

People have been genuinely frightened by it.

WadesNan Tue 10-Sep-19 09:35:04

I understand these "go-bags" are based on those advised for Americans when they are expecting hurricanes or earthquakes, right down to the wording "flash light" instead or "torch"

Teacheranne Tue 10-Sep-19 09:38:40

I'm beginning to think that the idea of having a bag packed ready for emergencies is a good idea. Living alone, if I had an unexpected hospital stay, it would help friends to find the things I might need. Also, I suppose in the event of a fire, having a bag at hand might also help

I do have a fireproof box with all important documents in - insurance details, passport, bank details etc but don't plan to grab it if I had to leave the house, it's a bit too heavy!

Now, what to put in my emergency bag? I don't think I'll need a torch or wind up radio in hospital but a phone charger, toiletries, book, a crochet project and some chocolate might be useful

midgey Tue 10-Sep-19 09:40:23

I am going to assemble one of these. We may not have hurricanes but we do have house fires and floods so a bit of adjustment for our own circumstances.

Gonegirl Tue 10-Sep-19 09:41:35

With winter round the corner, the actual doesn't seem too ridiculous. The timing though is diabolical. Or at least they should have made it clear they were not thinking of Brexit.

But then, they probably thought most people would be too sane to even think it.

Gonegirl Tue 10-Sep-19 09:41:52

actual advice

merlotgran Tue 10-Sep-19 10:21:13

I have a winter emergency cupboard because we're prone to power cuts caused by swans flying into overhead lines, strong winds, thunder storms, blizzards etc.

It contains candles, batteries for torches and radio, camping gas stove and lamps. I also keep a few tins of soup and baked beans etc., in my Brexit cupboard (only joking)

We have a woodburner so we'll always be warm but it's good to be prepared.

LondonMzFitz Tue 10-Sep-19 10:52:03

The Latter Day Saints (Mormon) Church instruct their congregations to have backpacks ready "in case" ... I saw this trending on Twitter yesterday as part of the Thames Valley initiative for September. As I also live alone I think it's a pretty good idea. I got a list together yesterday (yes, in all seriousness).
1.Note pad and pens
2.Phone charger (kindle charger! - with kindle)
3.Change of clothes (seasonal)
4.Water purification tablets
5.Bottled water
6.Protein bars (chocolate)!
7.Basic toiletries (take the cardboard tube out of toilet roll so they fold - found that on an LDS site yesterday)
8.Basic first aid
9.Torch (and spare batteries)
10.Blanket/towel
11.Swiss army knife
12.Face mask
13.Waterproof Poncho
14.Matches and lighter and candles
15.Whistle
16.Mirror
17.Rope (I have a travel washing line)
18.Hand sanitizer
I very much doubt I'd ever have to use it, but I think I'd find comfort in having a bag such as this to hand.

Shortlegs Tue 10-Sep-19 11:24:37

Hmmmmm....think I'll take my chances.

EllieB52 Tue 10-Sep-19 11:28:02

Is it April 1st already?

PamelaJ1 Tue 10-Sep-19 11:36:14

Gonegirl- you are right I’ve just been to read my paper which doesn’t link the bags to Brexit. The Breakfast show definitely implied that this was related to Brexit.
In these times I m not sure if anyone is sane!

Maremia Tue 10-Sep-19 11:38:11

All will become clearer when they are forced to share 'Yellowhammer' with us.

gmarie Tue 10-Sep-19 11:45:40

Only tangentially on topic here, but whenever one of you uses "torch" instead of "flashlight", my mind goes right to a mob carrying pieces of wood topped with flame! grin. Seriously, though, I need to put my own kit together as I live in California, current land of floods, wildfires and earthquakes! shock

Rosina Tue 10-Sep-19 12:09:22

What exactly is going to happen at 'Brexit Time' to involve needing a grab bag? Why are people likely to think this advice refers to leaving the EU? I am baffled- and clearly ignorant as to why I might need to run away from my home clutching a torch, clean underwear, supplies to eat, and the family dog.
In times of crisis I want to run home, leap through the front door and slam it shut, and then lean against it, relieved and happy to be in my haven.

grandMattie Tue 10-Sep-19 12:15:52

I’d have brandy, cream crackers, cheese and external hard drive!
Joking apart, I was brought up in a country where hurricanes were a regular occurrence. My DM always had candles, paraffin for the Primus (remember those) and lamps, hardtack type biscuits (we loved those!) and tins of corned beef... as we were young, it was terrific fun until we had a Dorian-type hurricane when the roof came off the house. I still feel anxious and tearful if we have storhere.

sarahellenwhitney Tue 10-Sep-19 12:25:10

For pity's sake this is Brexit not world war three. We are leaving Europe not being invaded by it.

Doodledog Tue 10-Sep-19 12:43:55

I have always had an emergency box in the pantry. It has a lot of the things in the 'grab bag', and also things like dried and tinned food, bottled water, candles, a primus stove (and gas), paracetamol, tampons (a bit aged now grin, loo roll, a wind-up torch, and even a pack of cards, which I put there when my children were small, to give them something to do in an emergency.

I put it together long before the vote for Brexit, in case there was a power cut, a flood, getting snowed in - whatever. My grandmother had one in the war, in case they had to leave the house in an emergency, and my mum followed suit, so it seemed a natural thing to do. I check it every few years to make sure the batteries are working, and the food and drugs are roughly in date.

My box isn't really a 'grab bag', though, It's far too heavy. It's more case of knowing where to look if the power goes off, or if we suddenly had to leave the house to camp out in a church hall for some reason. There is plenty of food in the pantry proper, but it's reassuring to know that I can cook the things in the box if the oven and microwave don't work.

EllanVannin Tue 10-Sep-19 12:51:01

I'm afraid I'm not hyping myself up for anything.

missdeke Tue 10-Sep-19 12:57:20

With you there Ellan

4allweknow Tue 10-Sep-19 13:11:24

Don't think the backpack is for Brexit, it's for any kind of emergency eg the recent power failure, flooding, fire.