Gransnet forums

News & politics

Grab bags for Brexit.

(71 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Tue 10-Sep-19 08:18:04

Have you got yours ready?
What’s in it?
Apparently, just seen on Breakfast, we are being advised to carry back packs to make sure we are equipped for Brexit.
These should include- a torch, a whistle, matches and a wind up radio as well as lots of other essential bits of kit!
I think it’s serious advice.
What does yours have in it? Don’t think I heard the word gin.

Moocow Tue 10-Sep-19 19:06:52

Me too MamaCaz! Failing that, me too annehinkley!

ALANaV Tue 10-Sep-19 19:08:14

When are we going to see the ads urging us to DIG FOR VICTORY and YOUR country needs you ……….

Are we to dig underground shelters from the flac from people like me ...a Remainer ……..grin

Evie64 Tue 10-Sep-19 21:25:34

Ha ha! A grab bag for Brexit! What a laugh, it's not a holocaust! If I had to? Fags, Lighter, Alcohol, phone and charger, laptop and charger and of course, chocolate & cheese & onion crisps grin

GagaJo Tue 10-Sep-19 21:30:06

Gonegirl, perhaps those 'people' should abandon the Daily Hail and read a sensible paper. If you read crap, you'll end up shitting yourself.

Gonegirl Tue 10-Sep-19 22:42:49

I don't know about that Gagajo. The Daily Mail seems ok to me. Except for all the celeb crap of course.

Gonegirl Tue 10-Sep-19 22:44:26

I heard about this on Twitter. I follow Thames Valley Police.

paddyann Tue 10-Sep-19 22:47:55

dont know about grab bags for Brexit but anyone got sympathy or advice for these people who have had to fold their previously lucrative business?
THE LAST POST

We regret to inform you that Isle of Skye Chocolate has now closed permanently.

For the past 3 years, ever since the UK voted to leave the EU, we have been "on hold" as far as investment in the business is concerned, due to the UK's uncertain economic future. Our raw material prices have increased by around 30% in that time, mainly due to the fall in the value of the pound against the euro. Being outside the EU single market and common customs tariffs will lead to tariffs of between 10% and 20% being imposed on chocolate from the EU (our chocolate comes from Belgium).

No matter what happens in the future regarding brexit, irreparable damage has been done to our small business. We are not a large producer of chocolate like Cadbury's, but operate at the luxury end of the market with the highest quality ingredients. We are unable to run a profitable business in these trying conditions and so have reluctantly taken the decision to close our doors permanently.

We thank all of our customers and suppliers for their loyalty and support over the past few years.

The Apprentice will continue to make her cakes part-time and will continue to post on Skye Celebration Cakes. If you would like to follow her on that page it would give her a wee boost.

Thank you all again.THE LAST POST

We regret to inform you that Isle of Skye Chocolate has now closed permanently.

For the past 3 years, ever since the UK voted to leave the EU, we have been "on hold" as far as investment in the business is concerned, due to the UK's uncertain economic future. Our raw material prices have increased by around 30% in that time, mainly due to the fall in the value of the pound against the euro. Being outside the EU single market and common customs tariffs will lead to tariffs of between 10% and 20% being imposed on chocolate from the EU (our chocolate comes from Belgium).

No matter what happens in the future regarding brexit, irreparable damage has been done to our small business. We are not a large producer of chocolate like Cadbury's, but operate at the luxury end of the market with the highest quality ingredients. We are unable to run a profitable business in these trying conditions and so have reluctantly taken the decision to close our doors permanently.

We thank all of our customers and suppliers for their loyalty and support over the past few years.

The Apprentice will continue to make her cakes part-time and will continue to post on Skye Celebration Cakes. If you would like to follow her on that page it would give her a wee boost.

Thank you all again.

paddyann Tue 10-Sep-19 22:49:13

sorry dont know why that posted twice

jools131056 Wed 11-Sep-19 00:42:22

I can’t be arsed. I like the excitement of never being prepared!

Callistemon Wed 11-Sep-19 05:07:51

I woke in the night wondering what to take in an emergency evacuation but this emergency is real as I'm in an area of bush fires.

Brexit grab bag?? Where would we be evacuating to? Not Europe anyway!

[bemused]

Hetty58 Wed 11-Sep-19 09:15:37

Gonegirl, did you really mean to say:

'The Daily Mail seems ok to me'?

OK for what? In media studies we decided it was a comic, rather than a newspaper. The mail-o-matic site is good for a laugh, though. It combines things mail readers fear or dislike with others that they hold dear to create headlines:

www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/

Gonegirl Wed 11-Sep-19 13:57:59

Yes I did! hmm Easily accessible way to read the news.

And I don't give a flying fig (note the good behaviour there) what effin' media studies taught you.

sunseeker Wed 11-Sep-19 14:11:56

It is fashionable to criticise the DM however, it is one of the largest selling newspapers in UK, (only the Sun sells more I believe) also it's online version is very popular.

I choose to read several newspapers with different stances on matters. If you restrict yourself to only reading the newspaper which reflects your views you will never get the full picture. Didn't your studies encourage you to explore all viewpoints?

Callistemon Thu 12-Sep-19 01:26:00

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

BradfordLass72 Thu 12-Sep-19 05:47:12

A 'grab bag' is actually for making a quick exit away from disaster - 'grab and run'.

Shall I start making up the spare beds?

notanan2 Thu 12-Sep-19 07:40:02

Didnt you learn about "echo chsmbers" in media studies? (Or as is was called when I went to uni: the Beer degree)

I read all media sources. The least useful media sources are the ones you already agree with: you wont learn anything from them they'll only cement your bias.

Pantglas1 Thu 12-Sep-19 07:45:13

Very true notanan2!

petra Thu 12-Sep-19 08:19:38

Hetty58
we decided it was a comic
How funny do you think it was that the Dail Mail was responsible for putting the killers of Steven Laurence in prison.

Callistemon Thu 12-Sep-19 13:39:45

Just to point out that I asked for my post to be deleted and it was not against guidelines.

This happens sometimes when the "night staff" are on can this be addressed?

BradfordLass72 Fri 13-Sep-19 00:48:49

Further to paddyanns sad post about Skye Chocolate. This is the cake The Apprentice made for a 40th birthday.
How magnificent
smile