Gransnet forums

News & politics

Government watch

(209 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Sep-19 07:15:37

Given the fact that our democratic ability to ask urgent questions in parliament has been stripped from us, I think notice should at the very least be made of those issues that are popping up and for which the government does not have to answer.

The first

Tom Watson
@tom_watson

Given Cummings' focus on data science in the Vote Leave campaign the sudden urgent need for big data collection is extremely concerning. We need immediate clarity about how citizens' data will be protected and won’t be misused for party political purposes.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Sep-19 17:33:36

David Gauke
@DavidGauke

It is neither responsible nor acceptable for 'sources in No 10' to accuse judges of political bias. Criticism of this type from within Government undermines the independence of the judiciary and, therefore, the rule of law.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Sep-19 17:34:51

labaik I’m not on Facebook. What there any significant Qs and As?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Sep-19 17:35:57

MrsAitchBee ? ?⚫️⭐️
@MrsAitchBee
·

Replying to
@TheNewEuropean
How bloody dare they not let us see what damage and impact brexit will have on us. Why should we be expected to blindly just sit back and let it happen to us! This government is so morally corrupt that they would still let a no deal damage us

Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Sep-19 17:37:25

(((Dan Hodges)))
@DPJHodges

No.10’s attitude is increasingly “it doesn’t matter what the law says. It doesn’t matter what the judges say. We can ignore it and it won’t matter because we’ll be vindicated at the ballot box”. Regardless of your view of Brexit, we are getting into very dangerous territory.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Sep-19 17:38:35

I’m waiting for the first court case to be brought against the government/Johnson for this illegality.

Labaik Wed 11-Sep-19 17:51:59

I only watched it for a minute or so and, seeing some of the replies from his adoring public made my comment and switched it off. I still can't believe it...I've spent the afternoon watching a home swap programme on catchup to have a break from politics. It's part of Cummings 'Boris and the people against nasty parliament' campaign. I'm truly shocked. If it wasn't so frightening it would be funny...

Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Sep-19 18:05:34

I wonder if parliament could be opened by the MPs? Committee meetings etc. Simply ignore an illegal parliament.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Sep-19 18:08:46

Prorogation! Not parliament.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Sep-19 18:51:48

Jolyon Maugham QC - Parliament doesn't need to be recalled as it's never been suspended after today's ruling.. so parliamentarians should be knocking on the door of the Palace of Westminster...

varian Wed 11-Sep-19 19:06:16

Her Majesty was ill advised and misled by 3 Privy Councillors.

They did not apparently have to give her a reason for the advice to prerogue parliament.

The Privy Council is required to advise the Monarch in the best interests of the nation and instead they advised her in what they considered to be the best interests of the Conservative party.

This is outrageous.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Sep-19 19:43:27

Charlie Falconer
@LordCFalconer
·

Lord Chancellor should put a stop to this nonsense immediately. Upholding the rule of law means ensuring government does not attack the judges for decisions the government doesn’t alike. Appeal if you don’t like it, don’t undermine the judges as if they were politicians.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Sep-19 19:45:03

Jess Phillips Esq., M.P.
@jessphillips

Boris Johnson has lied to every other woman in his life, why he'd make an exception for the queen seems unlikely.

Fennel Wed 11-Sep-19 21:32:53

I've just been watching a replay of the proceedings following prorogation (on BBC ) .
The main person in the HoL read out a statement from the Queen about 'my government' and what they'd achieved and plan to do.
Poor old Liz, at her age she must be thoroughly exhausted with politics. I wonder if Johnson actually spoke to her personally about his reason for prorogation, or to one of her aides? After that he and Carrie spent the night there.
We haven't heard much about that.
Personally, I'm so upset and disgusted with all the dishonesty, by self seeking politicians and their sycophants.
All I can do is pray that those who still have moral values will be able to hold out.

varian Wed 11-Sep-19 21:41:54

Aparently BJ did not have to give HM any reason for proroguing parliament.

He just sent three Privy Councillors to tell her that was what he wanted and HM has to act on the assumption that these PCs are honourable and advising what is in the nation's best interest.

However these PCs should not have been trusted, as the highest Court in Scotland has decided and so HM was misled.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Sep-19 21:46:37

Going on behind closed doors

Tom Newton Dunn
@tnewtondunn
·
Excl: Nigel Farage has told Boris Johnson his price for an election deal - a free run for the Brexit Party in 80-90 seats
* Farage thinks he’d win “40 to 50” of them now
* Also wants WA replaced by 2 year standstill
* ‘scoping’ conversations have started

Fennel Wed 11-Sep-19 21:54:08

Farage is a real chancer - at the moment his party has at the most one seat. Though to be fair, they had a bigger proportion of votes. He wants proportional representation.

varian Wed 11-Sep-19 21:55:58

One seat? Is that Kate Hoey?

HootyMcOwlface Wed 11-Sep-19 22:12:09

A poster on mumsnet has linked this document

assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/831199/20190802_Latest_Yellowhammer_Planning_assumptions_CDL.pdf

mcem Wed 11-Sep-19 22:34:46

Thanks for that.
Doesn't make comfortable reading, does it?
Any brexit Polyannas around to assure us that it's all fine?
Or spout that other mantra that we should just wait patiently and not panic?

Labaik Thu 12-Sep-19 00:40:34

We'll be fine with this lot in charge....

Whitewavemark2 Thu 12-Sep-19 06:21:01

an Howes #FBPE ?? #StopBrexit #Sodem AKA Mack
@ianhowes1970

Anyone read the letter from Gove to Grieve?

Interesting that he cites European Convention on Human Rights as a reason for not giving the balance of info requested

Oh the irony...

Linda369 Thu 12-Sep-19 06:22:06

If anyone has not watched ‘The Great Hack’ do, especially if you are worried about how our data was gathered without our knowledge.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 12-Sep-19 06:24:25

It is reported that Johnson is trying to find a way to get the rebels back onside.

His strategy is quite extraordinary.

Q. Do we believe he has one?

A. Of course not ?

crystaltipps Thu 12-Sep-19 06:29:29

A rubber stamp could do the work of the Queen. She serves no political purpose.

Amagran Thu 12-Sep-19 10:02:34

Labaik! grin