Gransnet forums

News & politics

Government watch

(209 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Sep-19 07:15:37

Given the fact that our democratic ability to ask urgent questions in parliament has been stripped from us, I think notice should at the very least be made of those issues that are popping up and for which the government does not have to answer.

The first

Tom Watson
@tom_watson

Given Cummings' focus on data science in the Vote Leave campaign the sudden urgent need for big data collection is extremely concerning. We need immediate clarity about how citizens' data will be protected and won’t be misused for party political purposes.

MaizieD Thu 19-Sep-19 08:53:41

And, Ug, the excuse that Johnson is 'new to the job' is absolutely pathetic and demeaning to the highest office in government. Our PM shouldn't be a rank amateur who has to learn on the job.

It certainly in no way excuses the fact that lying comes to him as easily as breathing. What is very frightening is that people like you just lap it up.

MaizieD Thu 19-Sep-19 08:39:13

Perhaps you should be more discriminating about which newspapers to base your posts on, Ug.

Incidentally, the best Leaver's 'take' I've seen on this story is that it was a set up by Remainers on Johnson's staff who are plotting to make the PM look bad ?.
Don't we just love a conspiracy theory ....

Grandad1943 Thu 19-Sep-19 08:35:24

Not all of us "just take on board" what we read in the newspapers or any other media.

Urmstongran Thu 19-Sep-19 08:22:21

Oh do calm down dears.

I’m not mean or nasty. I just followed the story in the newspapers like the rest of the country!

Sheesh.

Grandad1943 Thu 19-Sep-19 08:07:21

Urmstongran, your post @-23:26 yesterday in regard to the actions of the father of that very sick child is nothing short of totally disgusting.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 19-Sep-19 07:14:54

Yesterday Johnson told a distraught father “there is no press here”

Johnson was stood next to a man with a camera.

The No 10 crib sheet shows that the visit was to be done for the press coverage.

Johnson breaths. Johnson lies.

fleetstreetfox

Boris Johnson said proroguing Parliament was nothing to do with Brexit. Now the govt admits it was for political reasons. Judges are to decide whether it's legal, but basically - the PM has effectively admitted lying to the Queen, MPs, and voters.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 19-Sep-19 07:01:13

Dr Philip Lee

Thanks Laura, next time any patient gets substandard care I'll make sure to check their political affiliation first before I listen to their concerns.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 19-Sep-19 06:58:48

Social media is alive with enormous criticism of Kuenssberg.

Not only did she “out” a distressed father, but she told everyone where to find him.

That woman needs demoting to tea girl.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 19-Sep-19 06:55:01

Imran Khan

Hearing uncomfirmed reports that the man in that video in the hospital was sacked by the Times for making up quotes in a story, and by Michael Howard for lying about an affair, and once conspired to get a journalist beaten up.

Can anyone confirm?

growstuff Thu 19-Sep-19 01:40:08

Good point, Eloethan. Reading it reminded me of the current thread about Cameron and the death of his son. Quite correctly, people are pointing out that the father's occupation/position has nothing to do with the son. I don't really see a difference here. Nobody's claiming the child wasn't very ill and the hospital has now admitted there were indeed problems. The father has no less right to be angry because he was/is a Labour activist.

Shame on Laura Kuenssberg for getting ionvolved.

MaizieD Thu 19-Sep-19 00:15:56

Has no-one noted that Johnson said there was no press there when he was actually being followed round by a tv camera and journalists? And that the visit had been set up as media opportunity?

The No.10 'operational note' is on this tweet:
mobile.twitter.com/johnny_malham/status/1174368470370271233

His lying is so normalised that it doesn't get any attention.

Eloethan Wed 18-Sep-19 23:52:27

What a dreadful thing to imply - that a visibly distressed and angry father would use his seriously ill child to score a political point.

Like many other hospitals, Whipps Cross is doing its best to cope under very difficult circumstances. It is a very old hospital and there are plans for re-development but the current plans mean there will be fewer rather than more beds, even though the demand is now much higher, partly because other local hospitals have been closed.

Do you really think that because this man worked for Emily Thornberry and is a Labour supporter his distress was not real but was just play acting?

suziewoozie Wed 18-Sep-19 23:31:50

Urm havevyou the slightest idea how your last post reads? This man has a seriously ill very young child. And as for the childish ‘ Lady Nugee’ words fail me.

suziewoozie Wed 18-Sep-19 23:29:04

Urm you’re so clued up about this story you can’t even get the sex of the baby correct. The hospital has acknowledged the truth of what the father said, that there was a staffing problem that affected the ward his daughter was on. It was the BBC who reported on his political links - and then Laura K tweeted a link to his twitter feed. Is that the role of the BBC?

Urmstongran Wed 18-Sep-19 23:26:22

Actually Sorry for his baby......but shouting and bawling backfired on him he looks like he's showing off his activist labour role!

Salem worked as Emily Lady Nugee Thornberry's personal assistant for two years. Says all you need to know about this political stunt!

Urmstongran Wed 18-Sep-19 22:56:03

I still have to come back to ‘why blame Boris?’

He’s new to the job.

And I did acknowledge that the dad in question was there innocently (because his son was ill).

But an opportunity nonetheless. He wouldn’t have been shy.

However, his outrage ought to have been directed to those who were in power/made the decisions at the time that resulted in his perception of the ward shortages!

GracesGranMK3 Wed 18-Sep-19 22:26:54

The poor father was perfectly right to blame the Tories. I feel pointing out that he is a LP supporter is no better than saying Cameron only knows "privileged" pain. Both these people are fathers and that is surely all that matters. I think Johnson's response shows just how far he and others like him are from those whose lives the have ruined.

varian Wed 18-Sep-19 19:13:28

I am quite struck between the resemblance between Johnson and Trump.

Both absolutely love the adulation of right-wing rallies but are absolutelty unable to cope with the legitimate grievances of ordinary voters who challenge them in any way.

GillT57 Wed 18-Sep-19 16:09:22

urm the father's politics are irrelevant here. You missed a chance there to defend Johnson by claiming that it was all genuine and not set up to have him only meeting supporters. You are slipping!

Whitewavemark2 Wed 18-Sep-19 16:00:33

He is also a father with a son in hospital. So being a Labour activist should take away his right to express his beliefs?

Are you also suggesting that he arranged for the confrontation, by ensuring his son was sick in hospital at the time of Johnson’s visit.

If I was in his position I would have said exactly the same.

I don’t think so.

Urmstongran Wed 18-Sep-19 15:52:41

Oh I don’t know that WW

He’s only been in post a few short weeks! Busy with Brexit too. Blame Cameron and May perhaps, but not Boris (just yet anyway).

At least he is trying to engage with the public. Out and about.

And the guy who approached Boris?

Not just a caring, concerned dad but a well known Labour activist ....

Sometimes one has to dig a little deeper into the story!

Whitewavemark2 Wed 18-Sep-19 15:24:03

Johnson isn’t popular is he?

He was talking to a father whose child is in hospital.

dave ❄️ ?
@davemacladd
·

"There are not enough doctors or nurses on this ward, the NHS is being destroyed and now you come here for a press opportunity" ??

Boris Johnson meets the public and it turns out really badly, episode 459 you know the drill

Whitewavemark2 Wed 18-Sep-19 10:05:21

Something else we can’t ask questions about

lowdownnhs.info/private-providers/collapse-of-private-ambulance-firm-hits-nhs-999-care/

jura2 Tue 17-Sep-19 18:31:12

Oh yes, same 2 questions.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 17-Sep-19 18:24:46

If parliament was sitting there mould undoubtedly be questions about this and our voice would be heard

James Melville
@JamesMelville
Two questions:

1. How on earth did Liz Truss ‘accidentally' or ‘inadvertently’ grant new export licences of military equipment to Saudi Arabia, when it is banned by the court of law?
2. Why is she still in her job of International Trade Secretary?