Gransnet forums

News & politics

So much for controlling immigration!

(132 Posts)
notentirelyallhere Wed 11-Sep-19 17:56:58

Sorry, hot potato, can't resist posting nevertheless :

Record number of migrants cross Channel to UK in single day

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/sep/11/record-number-of-migrants-cross-channel-to-uk-in-single-day?

1000+ so far this year apparently.

MaizieD Thu 26-Sep-19 08:29:58

I really don't think that there are tens of millions of 'educated migrants' dying to get into the UK each year. Hyperbole just encourages the ignorant, david

According to govt statistics there were 99,999 (why don't they just say 1 million? ?) applications for work visas in 2017

www.gov.uk/government/publications/immigration-statistics-october-to-december-2017/summary-of-latest-statistics

Davidhs Thu 26-Sep-19 17:56:53

Maizie
You misquote me, my question was “ how many million do we want this year”

It is not hyperbole I’ve travelled a lot in Africa and India and almost everyone who is educated and invariably speaks good English wants to get out for a better life. Even if they are educated to degree level, decent work is very hard to find. First choice U.K. but any English speaking nation would do, work visas are a distant dream, tourist visas rare unless you have relatives in Britain.

Some are brave enough to travel illegally to the land of milk and honey, many die on the way, all are exploited by traffickers.

jura2 Thu 03-Oct-19 16:56:26

no, but the word is getting around that soon the ports in Calais and other locations will no longer be policed 24/7 by 1000s of French CRS.

Blinko Thu 03-Oct-19 19:06:53

Thanks for that link, LondonGranny. Very powerful.

varian Sat 05-Oct-19 16:20:51

ITV News has figures showing tonnes of food is being wasted, as a shortage of farm workers means some UK crops are not being harvested.

Seasonal migrants from the EU are staying away, fearing a no deal Brexit.

The industry blames the government’s failure to allow more agricultural workers from outside the EU.

We filmed at a fruit farm in Ledbury, Herefordshire, where 87,000 punnets of raspberries were wasted in just a fortnight. It's because they are short of 100 pickers - the majority of seasonal agricultural workers come from Eastern Europe.

Fears about Brexit are one of the major reasons so many are now staying away, but a fall in the value of the pound and improving job conditions in their own countries are compounding this growing problem.

www.itv.com/news/2019-10-04/tonnes-of-british-grown-fruit-wasted-over-shortages-of-eu-workers-amid-no-deal-brexit-fears/

lysagrey93 Sun 13-Dec-20 15:43:23

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.