Gransnet forums

News & politics

Are you scared

(310 Posts)
morethan2 Sat 14-Sep-19 17:35:07

Before I start I’ll nail my colours to a mast I voted remain. I’m not thrilled with the result but I accept it. I’m a little anxious about all the information of a no deal brexit and I expect most remainers are. I don’t want to start a bun fight but are those of you who voted out are you concerned about a no deal exit? I’m not asking for reassurance just if you feel very confident about the outcome of a no deal.

Lisagran Sat 14-Sep-19 17:37:39

“^I don’t want to start a bun fight^” Good luck with that then

hmm

gillybob Sat 14-Sep-19 17:39:56

I voted remain too morethan but now just wish they’d get on with it . I think this level of uncertainty is causing more harm than the actual leaving might do .

Jane10 Sat 14-Sep-19 17:40:42

A 'bun fight' is a tea party. That would be nice. brew and ? anyone?

Sara65 Sat 14-Sep-19 17:54:19

Exactly what Gillybob said.

Grandad1943 Sat 14-Sep-19 18:02:52

My companies role in industrial safety brings us regularly into contact with the Road Haulage Industry. Within that management, there is a widespread view that on the 31st of October (if that is the date that we actually leave) little disruption will occur at the channel ports or tunnel in a no-deal scenario.

The reason for the above thinking is they believe that none of the authorities will be ready to carry out the full checks of vehicles, and therefore at that time a large percentage of the trucks will be simply waved through.

However, it is also believed that within a short time EU member state governments will be demanding of the European Commission that Britain as a third country should not be still be gaining the advantages of full membership. It will be then that the full checks will be implemented and the chaos at the ports commence.

That stated, in the view of many in the Road Haulage Industry, Britain could have a short Brexit honeymoon period before the full impact of a no-deal leave is brought down on this nation.

dragonfly46 Sat 14-Sep-19 18:04:55

Apparently according to the Brexiteers I know it is all going to be absolutely fine when we come out without a deal. They are not at all worried about the things us Remainers are worried about as they don’t believe that they will be worse off, that there will be shortages, chaos at the ports, shortage of nurses and care workers ..... I could go on!

Coolgran65 Sat 14-Sep-19 18:13:01

I also voted remain believing that any issues would be better fought from within.
I’m afraid of shortage of the medications on which I rely and without which my life will be a misery.

SpringyChicken Sat 14-Sep-19 18:21:38

If it's any consolation, Morethan2, Germany is on the brink of recession, Greece and Italy's economies are in hell of a state, Spain's unemployment is about 14.7% , (Spain's youth unemployment is 30+%).

morethan2 Sat 14-Sep-19 18:27:03

Selfishly, In the first instance I’m worried about hold ups on the M20. When ever there is disruption at Dover a 10 minute journey from my house can take over an hour.

JenniferEccles Sat 14-Sep-19 18:31:50

Not in the slightest bit scared.

I like millions of others just want it over and done with.

I have a horrible feeling though that it isn’t going to happen despite Boris’s best efforts.

Too many blasted MPs are determined to prevent the will of the people being implemented.

Grandad1943 Sat 14-Sep-19 18:33:34

Springy Chicken Quote [If it's any consolation, Morethan2, Germany is on the brink of recession, Greece and Italy's economies are in hell of a state, Spain's unemployment is about 14.7% , (Spain's youth unemployment is 30+%).] End Quote.

Springy Chicken in regard to your above post, could you please inform me how all the above problems in European Union member states makes Britains leaving the EU better.

Surely if the EU were to fall into recession then as the worlds largest trading block that would impact on all world trade and make Brexit even more difficult.

Britain and the whole world needs a strong European Union to act as a benefit for all

Hetty58 Sat 14-Sep-19 18:36:43

I voted to leave and I'm not scared at all - if it ever happens!

GrauntyHelen Sat 14-Sep-19 18:37:51

a NO DEAL Brexit will we a disaster on many fronts -just read Yellowhammer imho just Brexit is awful We are concerned that drug shortages will be a problem for us with PD and Diabetes meds already in short supply I fear a resurrgenge of the troubles in Northern Ireland

growstuff Sat 14-Sep-19 18:41:37

It can't be "over and done with" even with Johnson's best efforts.

Negotiations will continue for years if not decades.

growstuff Sat 14-Sep-19 18:43:06

Don't you care about Northern Ireland or Gibraltar Hetty?

I'm not personally scared, but I fear the future of my country, which isn't the same at all.

growstuff Sat 14-Sep-19 18:46:36

I don't understand why Brexit improves the UK's situation in the context of financial problems in Germany, Spain and Greece.

I'm sure SpringyChicken will be back to explain (or not).

petra Sat 14-Sep-19 18:55:31

morethan2
I'll keep it short ?
I've never had a moments doubt.

SpringyChicken Sat 14-Sep-19 19:00:50

I was merely pointing out to morethan2 that other countries are not without problems and giving a few examples. Nothing more.

varian Sat 14-Sep-19 19:09:24

gillybob posts-

"I voted remain too morethan but now just wish they’d get on with it . I think this level of uncertainty is causing more harm than the actual leaving might do"

I think,she speaks for many, especially business people who have been suffering from the uncertainty.

However jillybob and so many others need to be reminded that if brexit is allowed to happen, that would not remove the uncertainty because we would then have to face umpteen years of uncertanity over trade deals as the UK would be out in the cold, trying to negotiate at a huge disadvantage because the whole world would have us over a barrel, knowing we would be utterly desperate.

The only way that business people can have any certainty in the foreseeable future is if we Revoke Article 50 and Remain in the EU.

Then you would all know where you are - in the same good position as we are now as full members of the European Union.

EllanVannin Sat 14-Sep-19 19:13:22

Will all those MP's who've done sweet f.a. around their constituencies over the past 3+ years suffer from shock when they actually learn that they have to work, if they ever return to normal ?
Not bad getting high wages just for squabbling and falling asleep. Shameful lot. None of them give a toss about their constituents.

Grandad1943 Sat 14-Sep-19 19:14:13

Springy Chicken in regard to your post @-19:00 today, undoubtedly there is not a country in the world that has not got or had its problems at this present time or ever.

However, Britain's problems are entirely self-generated from within its own population with no external influences or pressures whatsoever.

In that, those problems derive from one single word, Brexit, which came about by attempting to resolve problems in the Tory Party which dragged this whole nation into that failed resolution.

growstuff Sat 14-Sep-19 19:31:32

Thank you for your reply SpringChicken. So your comments were irrelevant to Brexit.

lemongrove Sat 14-Sep-19 20:19:33

morethan2
Not worried by a no deal, but prefer if we leave with an agreement, then once officially out of the EU, onto the next stages of trade deals whilst we get on also with domestic matters which have been let slide over the last three years.

varian Sat 14-Sep-19 20:39:47

Not worried????

Have you read Yellowhammer which is NOT worst case scenario but base scenario (ie most likely).

You have not seen the Black Swan worst case scenario. Because that would certainly scare you.

Go on then if you believe in fantasies and ignore well informed warnings, jump off that cliff. It's not at all scary (according to you and your fellow fantasists) - but don't take me. my children and grandchildren with you.