Gransnet forums

News & politics

Are you scared

(311 Posts)
morethan2 Sat 14-Sep-19 17:35:07

Before I start I’ll nail my colours to a mast I voted remain. I’m not thrilled with the result but I accept it. I’m a little anxious about all the information of a no deal brexit and I expect most remainers are. I don’t want to start a bun fight but are those of you who voted out are you concerned about a no deal exit? I’m not asking for reassurance just if you feel very confident about the outcome of a no deal.

ayse Sat 14-Sep-19 21:42:28

Yes, I am. It looks as if the country is in melt down and crashing out would be so difficult for so many people. I pray this will be resolved without the destruction of our society.

I feel whatever the outcome of Brexit we will suffer the consequences of this debacle for years to come.

GabriellaG54 Sat 14-Sep-19 22:22:22

I voted Leave and would vote the same way again.
I've read all I need to on the subject without drowning in reams of text.

GabriellaG54 Sat 14-Sep-19 22:27:05

...and no. I'm not in the least worried about the aftermath.

growstuff Sat 14-Sep-19 22:39:52

So have you found a solution to the Irish and Gibraltar issues Gabriella? Or aren't you bothered about them?

GrandmaKT Sat 14-Sep-19 22:57:51

Too many blasted MPs are determined to prevent the will of the people being implemented.

I'm fed up of hearing comments like this. If I was an MP and I seriously believed that our country would be very much damaged by Brexit, or course I would do anything I could to stop it. Any MP who acts otherwise has no principles. The will of the people isn't always the best or right thing.

I've been trying to think of a way of explaining how I feel, and it came to me earlier that it is exactly like a parent who has a child doing well at university, studying a subject that is likely to get them a good job when the student suddenly announces that they want to drop out with no plans or prospects for the future.

NannyJan53 Sat 14-Sep-19 23:08:20

Totally agree with GrandmaKT, this is exactly how I feel.

Joelsnan Sat 14-Sep-19 23:09:36

So, GrandmaKT
Would you force your child to remain at university even though he/she may be desperately unhappy and may have aspirations to excel in a non academic field but has not fully formulated his/her pathway. Because it’s what you want them to do?

GrandmaKT Sat 14-Sep-19 23:22:37

I would advise them to think very carefully, to talk to the university and see if whatever they didn't like could be changed. I would ask them to look to their future and think about what would be best for them in the long run. I would strongly advise them against leaving without a plan!

growstuff Sun 15-Sep-19 00:14:53

Not only that, but the child wouldn't be dragging all the others students out too.

Joelsnan Sun 15-Sep-19 01:03:44

Growstuff
Who knows, this ‘imaginary’ student may be part of a larger student body who have realised that they have been sold a false promise contrived during a period of high youth unemployment during the 80s. Their job prospects are little if any better with a university education and they have enormous debt that will drag down their income for decades. They can see better opportunities outside academia with equally good income and no student debt.
There is the potential for apprenticeships which are a new initiative but this cannot be pursued until they leave.
Their parents cannot understand their unhappiness and frustration and the vision they have for their futures because they can only see what they have done and are averse to change. When talking to their children its in terms of what they want and their vision with no regard for their child’s valid alternative view of the future.

GabriellaG54 Sun 15-Sep-19 01:54:47

growstuff
I wonder why you asked the question of me and not of any others (who posted before me) who said they weren't scared or fearful for the UK
post Brexit.
Answers on a postcard....

GabriellaG54 Sun 15-Sep-19 02:01:21

An MP has no superhuman powers. They're ordinary people with faults and failings and greed and jealousy and a host of other unbecoming traits...just like the rest of us.
Any MP who acts otherwise has no principles
MPs are there to enact the will of the majority, who voted to leave.
MPs who act otherwise have no principles.

Dottynan Sun 15-Sep-19 06:26:16

I'm looking forward to eating curly cucumbers without breaking the law

Joelsnan Sun 15-Sep-19 08:26:46

Growstuff
Strange response.
The post was directed at you specifically because of your posting repeated below:

Not only that, but the child wouldn't be dragging all the others students out too

Am I not allowed to respond to your postings?

Joelsnan Sun 15-Sep-19 08:30:12

Growstuff
Apologies, I notice that it was GG54 that was making the comment to you.

growstuff Sun 15-Sep-19 09:00:23

confused

FWIW I don't think it's a particularly good analogy.

CarlyD7 Sun 15-Sep-19 09:16:38

Sick of hearing the phrase "the will of the people" when only 37% of those eligible to vote wanted Leave but ALL of us have to bear the consequences. Being in the EU has made us the 6th richest economy in the world - but Leavers never let facts get in the way. And, to finish, the report on a no deal brexit, Yellowhammer = an anagram of Orwell Mayhem (which should tell you everything you need to know. One day our grandchildren will hate us for allowing this to happen.

jacalpad Sun 15-Sep-19 09:23:21

Thinking nationally, I wonder if there were another referendum whether many would vote differently now or whether the outcome would be the same!

Sheilasue Sun 15-Sep-19 09:24:13

I did vote to remain but as the leavers won I have accepted that. What concerns my family is the fact that labour and Lib Dem’s are trying to stop us from going. I have said again and again and heard it on the news and fb, we are a democracy and the people have spoken we must go with or without a deal.
I will never vote again after what has been going on over the last months.

Aepgirl Sun 15-Sep-19 09:26:28

I voted ‘out’ and I am insulted when I am told that I didn’t know what I was voting for.

I’m convinced that Europe needs us more than we need Europe. We are perfectly capable of running our own imports and exports - we’ve done it before. I will not be bullied into thinking that I made the wrong decision. It was a democratic vote in a democratic country.

Rosina Sun 15-Sep-19 09:26:40

The waters are now so muddy; we have seen three years of grotesque behaviour from so many MPs who have been putting party interests and private prejudices in front of doing the best for the country and accepting a democtratic vote - that's what we all have to do at election time, like it or not, and however you want to shout about percentages and actual voting numbers. If you listen to an expert you will be convinced of that opinion; listen to another with opposite views and be convinced another way. Various counties have said they are happy to trade with us - Canada was declaring this within days of the referendum. The Commonwealth is bigger than it has ever been - all willing and happy to trade.
Our current danger is delay and prevarication - this destroys confidence. I think the point made about the disastrous state of some European countries is simply to consider what being members of the EU has done for them.

BusterTank Sun 15-Sep-19 09:31:52

I'm not worried about a no deal at all . Think of how our country will be millions better of . There will be teething problems in the beginning . There also may shortages of certain items on the shelfs . Start a box with long life products and you won't get caught out . If you prepare for the worst , what can go wrong .

Hm999 Sun 15-Sep-19 09:40:53

The problems of a shortage of medication is terrifying.

GrannyAnnie2010 Sun 15-Sep-19 09:46:18

It's a two-way street. Many seem to think that securing trade deals would be difficult. So, let's say Germany, for example, who's been selling millions of pounds worth of medical supplies to us - making a healthy contribution towards their economy - is going to not even try to reinstate that trade agreement in a different form? They'd prefer to watch their exports to us just drop?

All the EU countries will have to increase their customs/visitors staffing and facilities to accommodate trade with and visitors from the UK.

It cuts both ways, so I don't know why we should wallow in all this angst.

Nannan2 Sun 15-Sep-19 09:46:24

I was a kid when we went into 'common market' as i think it was called then? (Was it when we went decimal?) Some of you older than me may remember better,im 56,but seems to me we did ok before it,stands to reason,we will probably be ok after it.(we had shops,buisnesses,etc before joining,managed to survive 2 world wars,etc,im sure theres a lot of scaremongering going on by various politicals.Lets just hang on in there,& see how we fare?.yes,government have dallied around too long,left enough time for worries to seep in.I look at this way,theres always someone worse off,we're better off than the 3rd world countries!