Gransnet forums

News & politics

Justin Trudeau

(108 Posts)
Sussexborn Thu 19-Sep-19 10:16:14

I got chatting to a lady (or should that be a woman?) who originally came from the West Indies. She felt these witch hunts cause more trouble for her community and are rarely initiated by them.

An elderly cockney lady asked a lad on the bus if he felt he was a victim of racism. His response was that he hadn’t felt that he was until his teacher told him he was.

seacliff Thu 19-Sep-19 10:15:36

The world has gone mad!!!

sunseeker Thu 19-Sep-19 10:15:04

Looking at the picture I am surprised he hasn't been accused of sexual harassment as he has his hand on the young lady's chest!

sasquatch Thu 19-Sep-19 10:05:21

People need to get a grip! So he darkened his face and dressed as an arabian at an arabian night theme party twenty years ago! I dressed as a french person once with beret stripey teeshirt and a string of garlic round my neck... and said ooh lah lah for most of the night! does that make me racist? most of us have dressed as a person from another country... if anyone wants to don a red wig, paint freckles on their face and sing diddly aye songs till the wee hours... away with yis... i promise i wont be offended!

henetha Thu 19-Sep-19 10:04:57

If he is guilty of racism then so am I. Many years ago at school, in the 1950's, (I was about 13/14 years old) I was chosen as one of the three wise men to each sing a verse of "We Three Kings of Orient Are". I was the one with the turban and the blacked up face. (well, more brownish really). I was so nervous and trembled my way through it as I, (and 2 other girls) had to walk the full length of the school hall, singing, and then go up onto the stage.
I don't think I was guilty of racism. I didn't have a clue.
To condemn Mr.Trudeau is utterly ridiculous.

MaizieD Thu 19-Sep-19 08:55:36

I'm with you, Rosina...

Urmstongran Thu 19-Sep-19 08:45:10

We weren’t ‘woke’ then. You shouldn’t judge people’s past actions by today’s standards, in my opinion. Life moves on. What was acceptable once isn’t now. What is acceptable now won’t be in 20 years I daresay.

Rosina Thu 19-Sep-19 08:39:57

I have just read that Trudeau should resign because he wore some tan/black face makeup at an Arabian Nights fancy dress party around twenty years ago.

Anyone care to join me in repeatedly banging our heads against the wall?