Gransnet forums

News & politics

Labour Party Conference - chaos reigns.

(162 Posts)
Day6 Sun 22-Sep-19 15:09:43

Chaos - after two days. It's not going well.

Labour has had

an MP suspension mooted
the senior adviser to Corbyn quitting,
revelations the membership want to sack the queen
and call a general strike.

and all while 15 points behind the Tories.

It's all a bit reminiscent of militant Labour, isn't?

Momentum, the controlling force, is looking to replace Corbyn with another hard left Trot/Marxist leader.

What on earth has happened to Labour? shock

Anniebach Sun 22-Sep-19 15:12:00

Labour died in 2015

Whitewavemark2 Sun 22-Sep-19 15:12:24

Wait until the Tory conference ??

That is of course if Johnson is still the PM.

Can proven liars remain in office?

Pantglas2 Sun 22-Sep-19 15:13:48

Blair did....

Whitewavemark2 Sun 22-Sep-19 15:16:50

Not to the Queen though.

Pantglas2 Sun 22-Sep-19 15:18:43

Ah well that’s ok then.....we need to know our place cos we don't count!

Whitewavemark2 Sun 22-Sep-19 15:22:37

I think you misunderstand.

I posted that I wondered if we would still have amp next week because he’d lied to the queen.

That is a constitutional massive offence.

But I take your point about lying to the voter.

But to be honest if Johnson opens his mouth he is lying.

Latest mis-deamer is misuse of public money I believe.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 22-Sep-19 15:23:46

That should be PM not amp?

Anniebach Sun 22-Sep-19 15:28:51

Andrew Fisher doesn’t believe Labour can win the next election, he thinks the party lacks common decency

GagaJo Sun 22-Sep-19 15:32:17

As opposed to the CP which is FULL of upstanding leadership types.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 22-Sep-19 15:35:45

Especially the one they have at the moment.

Taking your friend on jollies at the tax payers expense. Lying constantly. Taking part in a fraudulent referendum.

What not to respect?

growstuff Sun 22-Sep-19 16:17:04

It's not a race to the bottom.

We have possibly the worst government in living memory and an opposition which can't get its act together.

Anniebach Sun 22-Sep-19 16:19:07

Fisher was giving his reason for standing down from being a close aide to Corbyn , he said the Labour Party lacked common decency.

No disagreement from corbynites here ?

Anniebach Sun 22-Sep-19 16:23:53

Diane Abbott supports abolishing private schools, when asked
about her sending her son to a private school ?

‘That was years ago, we are moving forward now’

So ok for her son but not for anyone else’s son or daughter

growstuff Sun 22-Sep-19 16:25:40

I'm not entirely sure what he meant by that. Richard Murphy (of Tax Research UK) reckons there will be a backlash against Fisher.

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2019/09/22/labour-needs-to-lead-right-now/

growstuff Sun 22-Sep-19 16:28:46

In an ideal world, I'd like to abolish private schools too - or at least, have schools so good that nobody would want to send their children to private school.

However, it's an issue which has been going on for years. It really isn't going to be solved overnight, nor is the place of the monarchy, etc.

Doesn't Labour realise that the big question people want solved is Brexit?

M0nica Sun 22-Sep-19 16:33:09

When did the Labour Party have a confrence where chaos did not reign?

jura2 Sun 22-Sep-19 16:43:22

It is an argument I do not buy, sorry.

If the NHS will not provide safe and adequate treatment for your child - it is perfectly acceptable to say 'safe and adequate treatment should be available for all, and I will fight to ensure this is the case ... but in the meantime, my child needs the treatment NOW, so I will have to, unfortunately, have to ge the treatment privately.

Same for education. DD1 is totally against private education in principle. Both our DDs went to the local primary, local middle and then 6th Form - and we were often criticised to it by most colleagues and relatives who sent their privately. But ... after a few years in their local primary school, it became apparent that juge class sizes and children sent to the school with severe problems without adequate support- GCs education and welfare (bullying and severe disruption of classes, etc) were really compromised. In the end- they chose to go private, with great success. DD1 and SIL really regret that was necessary- and do believe excellent education should be for all.

Ilovecheese Sun 22-Sep-19 16:47:13

It would be nice to have a thread to discuss the policy ideas put forward at the Labour Party Conference.
I'm not sure if I would like to see private schools abolished but would like to see them lose charitable status.
I'm also not sure that just discussing one issue i.e.Brexit, is a good idea, there are a lot of other issues that need talking about, particularly how we can make this nation more equal, and how we should tackle the very real poverty that a lot of people are experiencing.

But the trouble with these anti labour Party threads on Gransnet is that they are never really a discussion, but become a sort of list of dogmatic assertions or casual insults towards anyone who is left wing.

Ilovecheese Sun 22-Sep-19 16:53:28

It is a problem, I agree jura2 everyone wants the best for their own children, and while our state system is inadequately resourced those that can afford it may feel that they must go private or they are not doing their best, while still feeling sorry that they had to make that choice.

I guess I was maybe lucky never having to make those choices as I couldn't have afforded them anyway when mine were young.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 22-Sep-19 16:55:16

lvecheese try the next government thread

Ilovecheese Sun 22-Sep-19 17:04:57

Thanks Whitewavemark2 I will have a look.

growstuff Sun 22-Sep-19 17:13:54

I'm not "anti Labour" Ilovecheese. I'd really love to see a Labour government with pragmatic, social democratic ideas, but I don't think we're going to have one.

Within a few weeks, it's highly likely that the UK will be out of the EU. One way or other, there's going to have to be some kind of deal, whether or not that's negotiated before or after we leave.

The Labour leadership seems to be in favour of Brexit, so I'd like to know how they're going to mitigate all the problems there will be - and there will be problems - not pie in the sky ideology about private schools.

Yes, if there really is a Labour government, it would be good if charitable status were removed from private schools, but there are going to need to be parallel initiatives to make sure every single school is a good school. Governments have been grappling with that for decades and there isn't an easy solution.

So what does Labour intend to do about lost jobs, an unstable currency and higher prices? What is their intention for Ireland and Gibraltar? What about the rights of EU citizens in the UK and UK citizens in the EU?

Ilovecheese Sun 22-Sep-19 17:24:40

"So what does Labour intend to do about lost jobs, an unstable currency and higher prices? What is their intention for Ireland and Gibraltar? What about the rights of EU citizens in the UK and UK citizens in the EU?"

Hopefully that is something that they will discuss at the conference, and come to some sort of agreement.
I know that they intend to support a new green deal if in Government, which will lead to more jobs, as well as helping the environment.
I seem to remember when the result of the referendum was first known, the Labour Party suggested that the rights of EU citizens who were in the UK should be guaranteed, but the Conservatives wanted to use them as leverage in the negotiations. So I imagine if Labour came to power they would then give them that guarantee.

I hope some answers to these questions will emerge at the conference.

jura2 Sun 22-Sep-19 17:25:42

Ilovecheese- yes it is difficult. But I can't blame them.

We actually could have afforded to send ours privately, but we chose not to. As it happens, despite some ups and downs- it has served them hugely well as they are able to communicate and deal with, all sorts of people, at all levels, in confidence.