Gransnet forums

News & politics

Labour Party Conference - chaos reigns.

(163 Posts)
Day6 Sun 22-Sep-19 15:09:43

Chaos - after two days. It's not going well.

Labour has had

an MP suspension mooted
the senior adviser to Corbyn quitting,
revelations the membership want to sack the queen
and call a general strike.

and all while 15 points behind the Tories.

It's all a bit reminiscent of militant Labour, isn't?

Momentum, the controlling force, is looking to replace Corbyn with another hard left Trot/Marxist leader.

What on earth has happened to Labour? shock

M0nica Tue 24-Sep-19 17:58:20

Neutral? I like to refer to him as a mugwump - someone who sits on the fence with their mug one side and their wump the other.

lemongrove Tue 24-Sep-19 16:00:23

Neutered more like..by Momentum.

lemongrove Tue 24-Sep-19 15:59:38

Corbyn...neutral ( that means he can’t decide)?

Anniebach Tue 24-Sep-19 15:56:18

Day 6 McClusky said anyone in the shadow cabinet who campaigns for remain should stand down

pinkquartz Tue 24-Sep-19 15:49:56

I heard Dianne Abbott giving a talk to older teens at a college in Islington, her constituency,
I was quite amazed by her. In a negative way.
I would never trust her. I can't repeat what I heard but it wasn't good and I have never heard her repeat that kind of talk on TV
This is back in the 1980's, about 1986 and so there were no cameras or recordings being made

Day6 Tue 24-Sep-19 15:37:02

McClusky said Emily Thornberry and Keir Starmer should step down from the shadow cabinet

That's interesting Annie What reasons did he give?

I loathe Thornberry but I imagined Starmer ("we will honour the result of the referendum" - not) was a bit of a golden boy for the party image?

He is out of favour now?

M0nica Tue 24-Sep-19 15:34:31

and so should everyone after the way Tom Watson whipping up panic over fake Westminster VIP paedophile ring. He was far too quick to pursue every well known person accused of all sorts of vile crimes. He supported 'Nick' the now imprisoned sexual fanasist and helped to make the last few months of Leon Brittain's life a misery for him and his family, to name but one person whose life was damaged by him.

Anniebach Tue 24-Sep-19 15:21:50

Tom Watson can’t make his speech today, disappointment for
all the momentum members who had planned to walk out of
the conference hall !

McClusky said Emily Thornberry and Keir Starmer should step down from the shadow cabinet

Day6 Tue 24-Sep-19 15:13:37

It seems to me we now have a party who want to force leave on the country, one who want to force remain and one who want a vote between a plausible leave and remain. It's only difficult to understand if you want it to be.

Really?

Gracesgran - you have just described a Labour Party which cannot agree on anything, which is irrevocably spit three ways! hmm

Labour Leave has been a strong force since the referendum, but the call to make Labour a Remain party was greeted with joy by MPs and anger by many Labour voters. Given leader of the party, the hypocrite Corbyn, fence-sitter-supreme, cannot decide where he stands, the shambles at conference would transfer to government should any deluded soul see Corbyn as PM material.

Not only that, the public would get hard-left Momentum too, into the bargain.

Anniebach Tue 24-Sep-19 14:38:30

Can’t employ more staff to cover just two days , don’t need 3 full time plumbers .

Zero hours contract perhaps!

M0nica Tue 24-Sep-19 14:18:06

But the Labour Party gave you a solution, all you need to do is employ more staffhmm

Except of course, that all the Polish plumbers who came over here to plug the skills gap have gone home.

gillybob Tue 24-Sep-19 12:03:01

They are idiots and heaven help us with them in charge of an already floundering ship !

Anniebach Tue 24-Sep-19 10:43:44

And this

So sorry we can’t fix your leaking kitchen pipe until next Monday , today plumber 1 has a day off, plumber 2 is on an emergency call out. Tomorrow plumber 2 has a day off and plumber 1 is booked for an emergency call out which we can’t
fix today.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 24-Sep-19 10:18:06

gillybob ditto!! ??

gillybob Tue 24-Sep-19 10:00:51

Well thank you so much mr McDonnell.

A 4 day week ( 32 hours) on full pay . How very generous of you . Now how shall I tell our customers ?

Ring ring “hello”
“ could we have an engineer out to fix our machine?”
“ well let me see “ hmm sigh....
Mr A is on his day off, Mr B is going his own work , Mr C is going Mr A’s work.... sorry try next Wednesday .... or hang on not good... then it’s Mr C’s day off and ........

Meanwhile industry comes to a standstill .

Stupid man , stupid ideas .

Anniebach Tue 24-Sep-19 09:55:16

Between leave and remain = sitting on the fence

Whitewavemark2 Tue 24-Sep-19 09:54:59

gg3

That is exactly as I saw it. It was obvious which way the vote went.

GracesGranMK3 Tue 24-Sep-19 09:51:36

I know little about LP conferences but didn't the two people on the stage both agree on which group had largest vote but one just got the attribution wrong?

It seems to me we now have a party who want to force leave on the country, one who want to force remain and one who want a vote between a plausible leave and remain. It's only difficult to understand if you want it to be. Personally I am getting fed up with wondering just how far below 100 is it IQ of those who say either they do not understand or the public will not understand.

Anniebach Tue 24-Sep-19 09:14:00

A mistake in such an important vote is not forgivable

Grandad1943 Tue 24-Sep-19 09:10:20

08:36Anniebach, yes there was a mistake made between the chair and vice-chairpersons, but from the angle of the media cameras it was obvious that the vote held a large clear majority against the motion.

I believe that having the delegates needing to vote against the motion caused the confusion on the platform and it was Jennie Formby that called it wrong in the chairperson's ear.

However, Jennie Formby is still in the recovery stage from Breast Cancer. Therefore, I feel the vast majority at the conference soon forgave her for that mistake as it was being stated only a week back that she would not be in attendance at the conference.

We all make mistakes Anniebach, and in her case yesterday, they are very forgivable.

Anniebach Tue 24-Sep-19 09:03:10

Refusing card vote and Jennie Formby deciding the result of the vote ?

Grany Tue 24-Sep-19 09:00:25

Well Said Granddad1943
Real debate within a genuine conference

Anniebach Tue 24-Sep-19 08:36:12

granddad43 yes the executive where certainly present , you adored Jennie even changed the result of a vote. Embarrassing for the chair and causing much anger .

It was chaos.

Grandad1943 Mon 23-Sep-19 23:06:35

Anniebach Quote [Been to many conferences, watching and listening to today’s
definitely gone rather rough and rowdy] End Quote.

Anniebach, the Labour movement Delegate Conference is once again an event of true passion and debate. Gone are the days of the executive parading onto the stage to loud drums and music in the liking of Greek Gods. They then made bland speeches following which the media would judge their performance by the length of the expected standing ovation.

All rank and file members who wished to speak for or against any motion or resolution would have to submit their proposed address to the conference standing orders committee a day prior to the agenda resolution or motion being called, and if it was radically against any executive policy then that grassroots member would not be called to the podium.

Under the present leadership of Corbyn and others, the above has been brought to an end, and once again we see the reunification of the parliamentary Labour Party into the broader (affiliated) Labour movement in the country.

So, now the executive share the podium at conference in equal status to those from district and Constituency Labour Parties along with trade union activists and their executive leadership.

The above brings real heartfelt debate and argument to the conference floor, and that is the way it should be if the Labour conference is to play any real meaning in bringing and maintaining true democracy within the Labour movement.

So, real debate carried out within a genuine conference.

Anniebach Mon 23-Sep-19 22:00:46

Been to many conferences, watching and listening to today’s
definitely gone rather rough and rowdy