Gransnet forums

News & politics

Labour La La Land?

(141 Posts)
Rosina Mon 23-Sep-19 16:32:34

Over the past few weeks and months I have heard the following from various Labour spokespersons. Prescriptions and old age care will be free, student loan debts will be wiped clean, private landlords will be made to offer 'Right to Buy' with large discounts to tenants, and now I read Labour is promising a four day week. The one utternace that never happens is how this is to be paid for - unless of course 'soaking the rich', that old chestnut, gets revived. (The 'rich' will likely all have fled if Labour come to power). All this, along with abolishing private schools and the Monarchy - I can hardly wait!

MaizieD Sun 29-Sep-19 15:25:15

And what a good decision the crowds' turned out to be...

Resulted in the expulsion of the Jews from their homeland, didn't it? (As prophesied; if we're going to take the bible literally...)

eazybee Sun 29-Sep-19 15:12:06

Pilate gave the crowd a choice and he honoured their decision, as he said he would.
But so much easier to blame him.

trisher Sun 29-Sep-19 13:03:53

Impartiallyeducated You see that's the problem when people use someone else's ideas they get the wrong end of the stick. There is a referendum but Pilate does not have to give in to the crowd, he chooses to do so. So any referendum can be advisory and does not need to be slavishly adhered to.
When people were paid properly and housing was affordable there were no foodbanks.
But carry on you are obviously happy to condemn some to a life of hardship and misery.

Grandad1943 Sun 29-Sep-19 12:58:24

Impartialandeducated Quote [ Anniebach I usually appreciate and agree with your comments. I do disagree with the assertion that JC is not the saviour. He clearly is! (Of the conservative party) ] End Quote.

Impartialandeducated, Theresa May thought that Jeremy Corbyn would be the saviour of the Conservative Party when she launched her unnecessary 2017 general election campaign with the intention of wiping the Labour Party out in the House of Commons. How wrong she was.

So, anyone who is remotely impartial and educated might well judge it wise to "wait and see" the outcome of the forthcoming General Election prior to making any outright predictions.

paddyann Sun 29-Sep-19 12:52:23

No rants about Boris and co promising loads of new hospitals and shed loads of money for all sorts of stuff after destroying lives for years because austerity was apparently essential .Shame austerity left them with a debt that has more than trebled ..Where DID all the money go?

Anniebach Sun 29-Sep-19 12:44:13

Impartial you are so right.

Anniebach Sun 29-Sep-19 12:42:09

Yes the unions, who can forget they kept a guilty man in his
job , perhaps because he was ‘A Lord’.

Impartialandeducated Sun 29-Sep-19 12:42:00

Anniebach I usually appreciate and agree with your comments. I do disagree with the assertion that JC is not the saviour. He clearly is! (Of the conserative party)

Grandad1943 Sun 29-Sep-19 12:33:47

You can always tell when some member of this forum feels they have lost a debate or argument, they resort to outrageous rants.

Impartialandeducated Sun 29-Sep-19 12:26:28

Trisher the sabbath has clearly brought out the religious spirit. Did not Pilate run a referendum and stand by the result. Had he tried to buck the referendum result there would have been chaos.(sounds familiar). " God heps those who help themselves..the more food banks you open up, the more people will help themselves. You realky do like going round in circles (be careful of the old labyrinthitis at your age) with your graphics and tortuous repetition. Do you think that unfettered immigration will remedy the housing problem? Perhaps a 4 day week will release more cash for the varios demands. Maybe Shariah law is the answer as Emily thornbury might suggest, though she did say that she would not allow her child to be looked after by someone in a Burkha!!!!!

Grandad1943 Sun 29-Sep-19 12:13:14

Anniebach Quote [Nothing democratic about the Labour Party grandad43, puzzles me why you are not a Labour Party member] End Quote.

As I have stated many times on this forum anniebach, for what they did for my education in years past I remain a member of the Unite Union (formerly The Transport and General Workers Union)

Through that organisation's membership, I am an affiliate member of the Labour Party by agreeing to pay the political levy.

Should I ever get around to retiring I may join the Labour Party in my own individual right, and perhaps become an activist.....who knows.

trisher Sun 29-Sep-19 12:05:15

I see you misunderstand the analogy. Washing your hands and saying you can do nothing is the sin, regardless of what or who is involved.

Anniebach Sun 29-Sep-19 12:00:52

Yes trisher , but unlike you I cannot place Corbyn as The
Saviour .

trisher Sun 29-Sep-19 11:53:24

Ever heard of Pontius Pilate Annie?

Anniebach Sun 29-Sep-19 11:45:26

Nothing democratic about the Labour Party grandad43,
puzzles me why you are not a Labour Party member

Anniebach Sun 29-Sep-19 11:43:43

For me, pointless in discussing it trisher, same as pointless
discussing what the conservatives say. I do not trust either .

So wish it could be different and I could return to fighting for
the Labour Party that was before Corbyn.

Grandad1943 Sun 29-Sep-19 11:38:11

Just a straightforward balance of argument Anniebach, it is known as democratic debate.

trisher Sun 29-Sep-19 11:35:09

Well let's discuss the issues. There are currently around 320,000 people homeless in UK.This includes families 78,930 are in temporary accommodation amongst these are 130,000 children. There is also a hidden number who rely on friends for support and accommodation.
Foodbank use has risen alarmingly
Schools and the NHS are massively under funded.
Labour want to change all of this and support ordinary people.
It might cost a little more. So would you mind a small increase in tax? I'd pay
Or do you still support austerity and its results?

Anniebach Sun 29-Sep-19 11:19:38

Any criticism of the Labour Party on a Labour Party thread will immediately bring criticism of the Conservative party,
no matter there are many threads criticising the conservatives.

Same old distraction from thread

Grandad1943 Sun 29-Sep-19 11:11:59

love0c, certainly no beauty about the Tory party either at this time, especially in regard to that organisations leader.

Anyone only has to search the media to realise and conclude that.

love0c Sun 29-Sep-19 11:07:30

Wish the title thread didn't have 'Labour' and 'La La Land put together. I absolutely loved the film La La Land. It is a truly beautiful film. No beauty about Labour whatsoever!

Grandad1943 Sun 29-Sep-19 11:02:14

Anniebach.
?

Anniebach Sun 29-Sep-19 10:50:09

Neither, neither are democratic , both are corrupt, neither
Johnson or Corbyn are honest

Grandad1943 Sun 29-Sep-19 10:39:23

Anniebach Magret Hodge and others will have an opportunity to state their case against deselection to their Constituency Branch meeting and that body will then decide.

However, with the removal of the Whip and the revoking of longstanding membership in the case of the Twenty one Tory MPs that was at the straightforward orders and behest of Johnson and Cummings.

So anniebach, which of the two above systems do you feel is the most fair and democratic?

Grandad1943 Sun 29-Sep-19 10:30:25

Impartialandeducated, none of the opposition parties in the House of Commons is going to allow Johnson a General Election at this time for the simple reason that they are aware that he and Cummings would allow Britain to "crash out" of the European Union with no deal while that election campaign was taking place.

In short, no one trusts Johnson, and in that, they have good grounds judging by the news in regard to Johnson's activities in and out of politics in the last few days.

Anniebach in regard to your post @09:57 today, the trade unions are once again an integral part of the broad Labour movement in this country to which the Parliamentary Labour Party are also a part as equals

That situation has always been (with the exception of the Blair Years), but that under Corbyn has now been once again rectified to the benefit of the whole movement.

You have stated many times on this forum anniebach that the above is unacceptable to you, but over four hundred thousand joined the Labour Party on the election of Corbyn and the bringing forward of those changes.

So, many would argue that such change has proven very popular. ?