Gransnet forums

News & politics

If we had another referendum

(81 Posts)
Dottynan Wed 25-Sep-19 06:40:06

If we had another referendum next week would you vote the same way you did in 2016

Labaik Fri 27-Sep-19 13:06:48

I agree; I love my country with a passion and it's breaking my heart seeing what brexit has turned it and it's people into....

Granniesunite Fri 27-Sep-19 11:11:44

Not old fashioned at all Alexa. Im devastated for mine and for the future of its people. Whatever or whoever they voted for .

humptydumpty Fri 27-Sep-19 11:10:30

Most importantly, the people who are going to be affected most by the referendum, who were too young to vote previously but would be able to now, would be able to have their opinions heard.

Alexa Fri 27-Sep-19 11:05:00

I suppose it's old fashioned to feel patriotic but I do feel for my country.

Granniesunite Fri 27-Sep-19 10:14:50

Most definitely. I have family that moved,reluctantly to the far side of the world or be out of work ... because it was cheaper to run a business there than stay in Britain and I have family in Dublin lawyers, who say they are getting small British companies buying property because it'll be cheaper to run their busines over there! That's not being reported in the news.

growstuff Fri 27-Sep-19 10:04:48

Really? Where's your evidence. Still seems like a very remote possibility to me. Are you worried about your grandchildren being conscripted to NATO?

Sussexborn Fri 27-Sep-19 10:00:37

I would vote the same. I do not want my grandchildren conscripted to an EU army. I have been mocked for mentioning this possibility and now it seems I wasn’t quite as stupid as people told me I was.

Sussexborn Fri 27-Sep-19 09:56:55

WW is the self appointed lord and master of us all. His opinion is sacrosanct and must never be challenged especially by women who have smaller brains than him. That’s what worries normal everyday people. Belittling people alienates them totally. He thinks if he keeps repeating the same boring mantra people will just give in and do what he says.

jura2 Wed 25-Sep-19 16:58:19

Indeed Growstuff, demographics alone have changed hugely the picture. The young won't make the same mistake twice, either, eg, not to bother to vote.

Fennel- I agree that there is a good number of people of retirement age who have become more entrenched on their Leave position, some my even have changed their mind for leave (although I do not know of any myself) - but I am sure they are a very small number in the grand scale of things- and vastly outnumbered at the other end, by young people.

growstuff Wed 25-Sep-19 16:55:51

No, it doesn't Tea, because some people will vote for non-Brexit issues and others will be faced with no choice on Brexit. The only way to determine whether the small majority of British people still want to leave the EU is for another referendum.

Rebellious Wed 25-Sep-19 16:33:45

More remain than ever and it was an easy decision the first time.

pinkquartz Wed 25-Sep-19 15:24:01

I would also emigrate if I wasn't already too ill and disabled.
Fact is I need our NHS........

Tea3 Wed 25-Sep-19 15:14:16

If there is another referendum then a vote to leave/remain still has to get through Parliament. A general election gives us all the chance to endorse or otherwise our own MPs views. I've issues regarding a local matter with our MP but still I think they are more likely to make a better judgment on Europe than me.

WOODMOUSE49 Wed 25-Sep-19 15:11:02

Simple question from Dottyman. No explanation asked for.

Simple answer from me: Yes.

growstuff Wed 25-Sep-19 15:07:14

Just seen your post Cindersdad. Sorry to repeat what you wrote. I agree.

growstuff Wed 25-Sep-19 15:06:26

I've already explained why the electorate itself has changed over the last three years. It's entirely possible that the result would be very different, even without people changing their minds.

PS. People who think it will all be over and done with are kidding themselves. Leaving with no deal will make the future more difficult and the negotiations more prolonged.

Cindersdad Wed 25-Sep-19 14:59:30

I'd still vote REMAIN. Most people appear to intend voting the same way. However of the 44 million electorate in 2016 roughly 2.5 million have passed away and about the same number of younger voters have become eligible. Now we understand the nature of Brexit better, the result of a second poll could go either way.

If Brexit goes ahead and it turns out to be a mistake could we rejoin on the terms we have now? I somehow doubt it. A second poll I believe is the only democratic way forward.

Fennel Wed 25-Sep-19 14:57:41

I've spoken to a few people who are even more determined that we should leave. And a few ex-remainers who have changed. all because 'we want to get it over and done with'.
Same part of the country as you, Gillybob.

growstuff Wed 25-Sep-19 14:53:51

The government needs a clear mandate to continue with the path it's taking. The only way to achieve that (or not) is with an honest referendum with "revoke" as one of the options.

growstuff Wed 25-Sep-19 14:52:29

A general election wouldn't provide any answers to Brexit.

pinkquartz Wed 25-Sep-19 14:27:56

NO

jura2 Wed 25-Sep-19 14:27:52

yes, remain and with even more conviction.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 25-Sep-19 14:27:47

Tea3 we definitely need a GE as soon as possible.

Tea3 Wed 25-Sep-19 14:25:05

We elect MPs to represent us and govern together with advice from the Civil Service and (hopefully) experts. A referendum seems a poor way of deciding policy. We need a general election.

AllotmentLil Wed 25-Sep-19 14:10:51

Still Remain.