Gransnet forums

News & politics

If we had another referendum

(81 Posts)
Dottynan Wed 25-Sep-19 06:40:06

If we had another referendum next week would you vote the same way you did in 2016

DillytheGardener Wed 25-Sep-19 08:16:23

I voted leave but I would now vote remain. Both my children’s industries have left UK due to brexit and they both now emigrating to Canada and NZ respectively for jobs. I don’t know if my husband would vote leave again, he stubbornly holds the view in public and with us that brexit should still go ahead, but we have now lost both our children. Horrendous mess. Wish the referendum had never been called in the first place.

MamaCaz Wed 25-Sep-19 08:18:27

I would definitely vote the same way, but this time it will be both a heart and head decision, whereas last time I admit that it was more head than heart.

Maybe there will come a time in the future when I genuinely feel that we would be better out of the EU than in, but for me, that time isn't now

-If we leave now, there is no going back. That's it, do better or worse, we are stuck with that position - and 'for worse' looks far the most likely outcome for a considerable length of time.

-If we were to revoke article 50 right now, and remain, the option of leaving at any time in the future would still be available.

The second of those options still seems overwhelmingly the best one to me at this moment in time!

MamaCaz Wed 25-Sep-19 08:20:01

'...for better or worse' not 'do ...'

growstuff Wed 25-Sep-19 08:24:53

On the contrary gillybob You're very much in your right mind. Businesses like yours in poorer areas are exactly what leavers claim Brexit will help. Only the goldfish-brained think that it will.

DanniRae Wed 25-Sep-19 08:28:16

I voted remain before and I would vote remain again.

Grandad1943 Wed 25-Sep-19 08:35:01

My own company are to open new offices in Belgium on Friday as an extension of our operations in the European Union. That has been brought about by now two of our major client's moving their operations into Europe.

Four years back in our wildest dreams we would not have thought this would be required to be brought about. However, the first quiet commercial move due to Brexit into EU member states has now turned into a "stampede" as a move by one large company draws their suppliers in the same direction.

MaizieD Wed 25-Sep-19 09:04:11

Terribly judgemental comments whitewave.

As opposed to your strange comment, kl? Wwmk2 has only made one comment on this thread, so why refer to 'comments'?

Why call a statement that people may have changed their minds after seeing the implications of their previous choice 'terribly judgemental'? It's only stating the obvious.

People have changed their minds. This site is for people who've gone from Leave to Remain

www.remainernow.com/

I expect there may well be one for movers in the other direction. I'm not looking for it, though..

My vote remains unchanged. Strongly reinforced by reading Leavers' comments on here...

Davidhs Wed 25-Sep-19 09:17:25

I voted remain. Partly because I think, despite some irritations the country is better off in the EU but also that leaving would cause so many problems that if there was a gain it would take 10 yrs to benefit.

Never did I foresee the current mess or the depth of disruption that would be caused.

mcem Wed 25-Sep-19 09:18:32

My vote would be remain again.
I have read a few posts on GN from people who voted leave - not for jingoistic reasons and not because of stupidity - but they have now changed their minds and honestly admit that they simply didn't have the knowledge at the time to cast an informed vote.
Then there are the posters who are so anti - immigrant, so belligerent in their "patriotism" that nothing will change their minds.

KatyK Wed 25-Sep-19 09:29:32

I would vote the same.

Cherrytree59 Wed 25-Sep-19 09:34:54

Vote Same again.

Labaik Wed 25-Sep-19 09:52:10

The man who spearheaded the leave campaign has been proved, yet again, to be a liar....when will some people admit that they were fed a load of lies and swallowed them. As had been said on TV just now 'a refererendum is just a snapshot of peoples opinion at a moment in time' and is not legally binding. I will never stop fighting for us to remain in the EU,and the more I see and hear about the people who instigated it the more determined I am....

kittylester Wed 25-Sep-19 09:58:33

I also know several people who have gone from Remain to leave. It's not all one way traffic!

However, a second referendum might give us a much clearer idea of what people think now. A ge will just muddy the waters!

trisher Wed 25-Sep-19 10:00:37

Still Remain.

growstuff Wed 25-Sep-19 10:01:37

So you agree that there should be a second referendum?

I don't understand the comment about age muddying the waters.

MaizieD Wed 25-Sep-19 10:03:21

I didn't say it was one way traffic, kl. No-one says it's one -way traffic. But any insistence on 17.4 million unchanged votes is utter nonsense (*not*, I hasten to add, that any poster on here has used that tired old argument recently)

gillybob Wed 25-Sep-19 10:06:30

I was listening to my local radio this morning and the reporter was interviewing people in the street asking this very question. It made me feel very embarrassed to think how short sighted and selfish some of my fellow Geordies are.

MaizieD Wed 25-Sep-19 10:13:47

I think that a GE would muddy the waters because of;

1) tribal voting

2) conflict of beliefs e.g. what if I believe that LP social policies are the best for the country but don't believe that LP policy on Brexit is the correct approach and would prefer a Remain stance? How do I vote, LP or LD? I'm sure I'm not the only person who would be conflicted.

I agree with kittyl on this.

Pudding123 Wed 25-Sep-19 10:23:34

Who on earth can you trust from the thee main parties ???

Barmeyoldbat Wed 25-Sep-19 10:36:11

I would vote the same, remain. I don't want to see another referendum yet, I would rather we just revoke, think and plan. Do most of the work behind, work out the Irish border problem and then have another referendum but would still vote remain.

Amagran Wed 25-Sep-19 10:38:43

I would vote the same way.

I have seen very little by way of evidence-based argument which would persuade me to change my mind.

Certainly the woeful lack of understanding of the way our Parliamentary democracy and our legal system both operate, which is demonstrated by many of those holding an opposing view, is also unlikely to make me change my mind.

libra10 Wed 25-Sep-19 10:43:45

I would vote the same!

Alexa Wed 25-Sep-19 10:55:43

But the next referendum will ask more intelligent questions. It will ask "Do you want to leave Europe along with deal a) deal b) or deal c)? Do you want to stay a partner within Europe?

Something like that.

Dinahmo Wed 25-Sep-19 11:00:35

I would vote Remain - tried to last time but didn't manage because of a cockup with the voting papers.

Davidhs Wed 25-Sep-19 11:05:04

Alexa

A multiple choice vote really would be a waste of time it has to be a in or out vote, negotiating has been done, if a deal is agreed there will be no second vote.