Gransnet forums

News & politics

Some Tories trying to undermine our rule of law

(55 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 25-Sep-19 07:56:33

Cummings is screaming blue murder, and some government cabinet members are suggesting that the Supreme Court is wrong.

We are a civilised country based on the rule of law, the foundation of which keeps this country from anarchy.

These people must be prevented from destabilising our country.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 25-Sep-19 07:58:00

Rory Stewart
@RoryStewartUK

Those - who were arguing recently that no-deal Brexit would “give back control” to British courts and a British parliament - have u-turned and are now suddenly against our courts, parliament, parliamentary sovereignty and constitution. ?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 25-Sep-19 07:59:11

Jo Maugham QC
@JolyonMaugham
·

Johnson tried to throw Parliament under a bus. He failed. And now he is trying the same with judges. And he will fail again.

We will soon awake and remember who we are. And when we do, those who did this, and those who helped them, will hang their heads in shame.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 25-Sep-19 08:00:36

James Melville?
@JamesMelville

The right-wing populists are deliberately and cynically pitching the people against the lawful institutions that we rely on, which have served us well for centuries and which are, still, the envy of the free world. History has taught us that we should never walk down this path.

MamaCaz Wed 25-Sep-19 08:06:39

Whitewavemark2
Those - who were arguing recently that no-deal Brexit would “give back control” to British courts and a British parliament - have u-turned and are now suddenly against our courts, parliament, parliamentary sovereignty and constitution.

Yes, and some of them will no doubt already be considering how they can change our whole judicial system, as a result. Politically, we are living in dangerous times!

Whitewavemark2 Wed 25-Sep-19 08:12:41

A Supreme Court judge Lord Sumpter on radio 4 this morning said that this government was trying to create a revolution and overturn aspects of our constitution.

“If you do something sufficiently shocking, you must expect people to want to push the boundaries out. And that is exactly what the Supreme Court has done"

Whitewavemark2 Wed 25-Sep-19 08:15:32

The point is until they are got rid of they will never stop trying to undermine our rule of law.

The biggest compensation is that parliament is in control at the moment.

The huge danger is if they win a GE.

growstuff Wed 25-Sep-19 08:15:43

Name names Whitewave. I can read for myself that Johnson is behaving like a spoilt brat. It really makes you wonder how he managed to "spaff" all the money that was spent on his education because it doesn't seem to have improved his understanding of his country.

I'd like to read for myself what the rest are saying.

Grandad1943 Wed 25-Sep-19 08:15:48

Yes, taking back control and having our own Justice were key planks in the referendum leave campaign.

However, as soon as that justice confirms the unlawful actions of leave persons then those same leavers wish to undermine the whole system that they once so praised.

What a total scandal this whole Johnson administration is.

growstuff Wed 25-Sep-19 08:17:46

Dominic Cummings struck lucky with VoteLeave. He plays for big stakes and he's lost. Fortunately/ironically, the Farage camp hate him - there really isn't much honour amongst thieves.

Cummings will be consigned to history soon.

MawB Wed 25-Sep-19 08:18:13

They can scream all they like, surely the law is the law .
Just as the losing team cry “We was robbed” but must accept the referee’s decision as final.
#?

growstuff Wed 25-Sep-19 08:19:29

Ah, Grandad, but those judges are all part of the "establishment" they despise. (Yes, I know they don't know what they're talking about.)

Whitewavemark2 Wed 25-Sep-19 08:24:34

Cummings is the No. 10 source, cited by Kuenssberg, who is spitting tacks.

So all phrases that begin “sources at no 10” are Cummings.

Other faceless influences are people like the billionaire Crispin Odey. They have enormous influence paying millions for the privilege.

Of course the populist press barons. Who are furious that they are being frustrated.

You can listen to others, who will pop up to try to push back on the radio and tv etc.

growstuff Wed 25-Sep-19 08:26:52

I hardly ever watch TV, only a few programmes on Catch Up, if I've heard they were interesting.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 25-Sep-19 08:30:40

Lots of other sources though aren’t there

growstuff Wed 25-Sep-19 08:31:49

The current Conservative cabinet is so lightweight, I'd be surprised if any of them could spit a tack further than the end of their nose.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 25-Sep-19 08:33:53

?

Did you hear Gove this morning being all bitter and twisted, refusing to accept they were wrong.

Idiot

growstuff Wed 25-Sep-19 08:35:22

Well, yes, there are other sources, but I just hadn't come across many of them saying anything very much. Raab comes out with his usual scripted tripe and I expect Kwarteng, Schapps, Leadsom and Cleverly will be wheeled out to put the government's case, but only a dimwit would take anything they say seriously.

growstuff Wed 25-Sep-19 08:36:48

Errm … quite … Gove has twisted so much in the past that I don't think anybody trusts him.

growstuff Wed 25-Sep-19 08:40:16

Just seen this comment on Twitter from somebody I don't know:

If caught speeding today, use these words. ‘I have the highest regard for the police force, but I think their decision is wrong. Though I will respect it, what’s important now is that I get to my destination as quickly as possible.’

Nobody would take a defence like that seriously and people who do try to use it are digging their own hole.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 25-Sep-19 08:48:55

Rees Mogg

Furiously talking about the judges and a constitutional coup.

The Telegraph

“Democracy dodging” parliamentary MP’s
“Who runs this country”

The Express

Rees-Mogg dismantles REMAINER JUDGES.

Masses of it.

All nonsense of course, but many who think very little will believe it.

Gonegirl Wed 25-Sep-19 08:51:58

When you think about it, those judges are just people each with their own way of looking at this.

It's certainly not the first time the judgement of the Courts has been challenged.

Urmstongran Wed 25-Sep-19 08:58:55

Although I hope we achieve Brexit it must be done within the confines of the law of the land. Those 11 Supreme Judges gave gravitas to the whole situation.

I agree Maw. #?

Davidhs Wed 25-Sep-19 09:06:04

I am simply gobsmacked that Johnson, Gove, JRM and the rest are saying publicly that 11 Supreme Court judges are wrong. I hope parliament crucifies the lot, they have no respect and are not fit for office.

MaizieD Wed 25-Sep-19 09:08:37

You've just completely taken my breath away, Gonegirl shock