Gransnet forums

News & politics

Some Tories trying to undermine our rule of law

(56 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 25-Sep-19 07:56:33

Cummings is screaming blue murder, and some government cabinet members are suggesting that the Supreme Court is wrong.

We are a civilised country based on the rule of law, the foundation of which keeps this country from anarchy.

These people must be prevented from destabilising our country.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 25-Sep-19 10:24:32

We have absolutely nothing if we don’t have the rule of law.

growstuff Wed 25-Sep-19 10:29:45

They're people who have spent years and years studying and experiencing the law.

growstuff Wed 25-Sep-19 10:32:31

OK! Thanks for the heads up, Whitewave. I'm going out now but I'll look out for JRM's and Gove's utterances. AFAIK neither has studied Law.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 25-Sep-19 10:42:10

THE ILLEGAL HAS LANDED

Whitewavemark2 Wed 25-Sep-19 10:43:02

Charlie Falconer
@LordCFalconer

Gove breathtaking in lack of humility over decision of Supreme Court. Disagrees with result, and, whilst govt will comply with judgment, asserts it was wrong. Johnson and Gove know better than Supreme Court. Arrogance on that scale is riding for fall after fall.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 25-Sep-19 10:47:47

I meant to say that “The illegal has landed” had to win the prize for the most witty of the day

Dinahmo Wed 25-Sep-19 10:55:06

Watching Lady Hale's delivery of the Supreme Court's judgement yesterday brought tears to my eyes. I was expecting that the Scottish ruling would be upheld but with a small majority. That they all agreed was amazing. I thought that there is hope for the country after all. although reading some comments on the other threads earlier, i am beginning to doubt it.

Amagran Wed 25-Sep-19 10:56:23

When Tory politicians and the right wing press so blatantly and ignorantly rubbish the highest court in the land, they should not be surprised if law and order across the land disintegrates, as every thug, crook, liar, cheat and swindler will take a leaf from their book.

The arrogance of Johnson and his toxic crew is truly, truly breathtaking. And deeply, deeply disturbing. No decent person should question the motives or the unanimous judgment of 11 of our Supreme Justices.

mcem Wed 25-Sep-19 10:57:29

I'd hope that the SC judges with their many years of experience are experts not only in constitutional law but also in objectivity!
For Rees Mogg and his ditsy sister to ask how the judges voted is appalling.

Are they hoping to find that the 11 first got together over 3 years ago and decided to vote to remain? They then went on to sit in court, knowing all along that they'd unanimously agree the verdict?

Utter nonsense!

Why are they now saying brexit is being thwarted when the whole premise behind prorogation was not, according to them and to BJ, in any way brexit related?

, have over many years of experience learned the art of o jectivity.

mcem Wed 25-Sep-19 10:58:44

No idea why the last couple of lines are duplicated. Sorry!

Amagran Wed 25-Sep-19 11:01:52

Dinahmo, I too cried with relief and pride in our country for having such a justice system. And then we had the reaction from the Tories and the right wing press. How dare people think that they know more about the law than the justices of the top court in the country?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 25-Sep-19 11:02:15

This is extremely alarming, and in view if an imminent election points to more illegality.

Given this governments record and it’s close connection to LeaveUK it is almost certain that they win act on the recommendations

The Electoral Commission

We are concerned about the apparent weakness in the law, highlighted by this investigation outcome, which allows overseas funds into UK politics. We have made recommendations that would tighten the rules on campaign funding and deter breaches. We urge the UK's governments to act on those recommendations to support voter confidence"

Whitewavemark2 Wed 25-Sep-19 11:03:57

Will not act!,

Whitewavemark2 Wed 25-Sep-19 11:22:25

Johnson is still threatening to break the law.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 25-Sep-19 11:34:16

The insidious writings of those trying to tumble our rule of law. It sounds unpleasantly aggressive. In fact pretty horrible and threatening.

This is Quentin Letts (Haileybury, TCD, Cambridge) writing down for Sun readers and urging the masses to hate British judges and British courts. JRM also at it. Eton-led anti-elite populism. How ugly

“What do we know of the 11 judges who made yesterdays unprecedented decision? Not much. Yet.

But let’s alight on the head of the Supreme Court Lady Hale. She’s the beady-eyed nanny goat who read yesterday’s judgement”

Whitewavemark2 Wed 25-Sep-19 11:36:41

The elite entitled continues, following others who are disclosing people’s private addresses etc..

Quentin Letts in today's Sun: "Where do these top lawyers live, which clubs do they belong to, what are the political views of their spouses?"

Sinister.

Ginny42 Wed 25-Sep-19 11:39:00

If what the Supreme Court did yesterday was a 'constitutional coup' (Mogg, 2019, on the back of a ticket to the Cayman Islands) , what kind of coup was the prorogation of Parliament?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 25-Sep-19 12:01:06

The DM calling Lady Hale an “ex barmaid”

What charmers they are.

Labaik Wed 25-Sep-19 12:03:21

Amagran; I agree totally with what you say and I fear for law and order in this country; what examples are these people setting; first it was OK to lie and now OK to ignore the laws of this land...

growstuff Wed 25-Sep-19 13:34:15

The sooner people understand that Brexit has never been about the "ordinary people" but a civil war between branches of the elite, the better.

JRM, Farage, Tice, Banks, Johnson and the rest couldn't give a stuff about the little people. They're as entitled and elite as anybody, but object to people calling them out. They want to leave the EU, so that they can make more money in unregulated markets.

Leave voters are foot soldiers who have only one asset - they have a vote, which the Leave elite have manipulated. It doesn't take an expert to know what leaders do with their foot soldiers once they have no further useful purpose.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 25-Sep-19 13:37:31

They are so entitled that they feel entitled to ignore the constitution and law when it suits them.

They never expected the little people to bite back and they are furious as a result.

Dinahmo Wed 25-Sep-19 13:43:24

If Lady Hale was an ex barmaid (I know absolutely nothing about her) then surely she epitimises everything that we supposedly admire - achievement, getting on in life, bettering herself i things that many people aspire to?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 25-Sep-19 13:51:13

The Daily Mail use it is an entirely pejorative way.

There is further suggestions that Johnson is intending to ignore the law.

He intends to send the required letter requesting a further extension to the Brexit process, but will follow it up,with a letter requesting Brussels to ignore the request.

I can see further Supreme Court activity ahead.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 25-Sep-19 14:08:30

Best thing all round......a GE ASAP!

mcem Wed 25-Sep-19 14:11:00

Was pleased to see a tweet praising the 'girly swots' - Lady Hale, Joanna Cherry and Gina Miller!