Gransnet forums

News & politics

The next General Election

(68 Posts)
WishIwasyounger Thu 26-Sep-19 20:26:24

As I'm new to GN, I'm wondering what the political landscape is like on here, and which way would GN'ers vote at the next GE which can't be far away. As a left leaning free thinker I'll probably go for Green or Lib Dem, but things are so fluid at the moment. No way would I vote Tory, and I'm not convinced that Labour can persuade enough middle of the road voters, even though I agree with many of their policies.

varian Thu 26-Sep-19 20:31:15

The Liberal Democrats if elected would stop this brexit nightmare on day one. So vote LibDem.

jura2 Thu 26-Sep-19 20:31:52

Oh là là, Bonne Chance WishIwas ..

(I'd vote same as you btw)

Sara65 Thu 26-Sep-19 20:33:41

I wish I knew, I can’t really stand any of them anymore, and I certainly don’t trust any of them

Joelsnan Thu 26-Sep-19 20:36:55

Monster raving looney party. They probably have the most credible manifesto

Grandad1943 Thu 26-Sep-19 21:12:27

Welcome to the forum WishIwasyounger. There are now a few of us being the male gender on here, plus a few who for whatever their own reasons hide that fact.

As for the balance of the political views on here, in my humble opinion, it was twelve months back mainly right wing but that now seems to have redressed to being slightly to the left in predominance.

However, just post whatever it is you genuinely feel is correct in your view, and be prepared to grow a thick skin.

That stated, there are many good and genuine people who post on this forum who you may not agree with in their politics but you will find it a privilege to know them through their text.

paddyann Thu 26-Sep-19 21:21:46

SNP for a new mandate for Independence to get us out of this unholy mess and leave us free to run OUR country our way without being shackled to Westminster.

Charleygirl5 Thu 26-Sep-19 21:26:44

I do not believe in not voting but I do not have the first clue who I would vote for. If I thought that buffoon who is our present leader would go that would be the first step but who would be a worthy winner? I have no idea.

Sara65 Thu 26-Sep-19 21:29:43

Charleygirl

I feel exactly the same. I feel really strongly that we should all use our vote, but at the moment, I seriously can’t see anyone I could bring myself to vote for.

Labaik Thu 26-Sep-19 21:31:07

I shall vote tactically. I will not be voting for the Conservatives, UKIP or brexit party ( which doesn't even seem to be a party but a registered company ??). I shall campaign for any local'ish MP's that have represented my views over the past few years but vote for whoever can beat the local Conservative candidate.

Davidhs Thu 26-Sep-19 21:35:57

Do we still have a Monster Raving Loonie party or have they transformed into the Brexit party.
Lib Dem is the party that is going to gain a lot of seats

GrannyGravy13 Thu 26-Sep-19 21:39:31

I will vote for my exceptionally good constituency MP, who supports local issues and is approachable.

Urmstongran Thu 26-Sep-19 21:44:24

If the Conservatives do a pact with the Brexit Party, as a northerner I’ll vote for the Brexit Party in The hope that Nigel & Boris sweep the board and deliver Brexit.

Actually though, it’s reported that Farage & Cummings hate one another so maybe a pact won’t happen.

In that case I’ll have to decide when the time comes.

When.

I hope this ‘Fixed Term Parliament’ idea gets chucked out in due course. It’s given us a dead Parliament now. I think it was the brainwave of the Lib Dem’s. I must check that out on Google. Daft idea.

Welcome to you WIWY by the way!

Urmstongran Thu 26-Sep-19 21:50:29

Yep, seems we’ve got Cleggie to thank once again. It passed in 2011.

So that’s austerity on steroids from the Lib Dem’s...
Tuition fees
WASPIs

And now regarding Brexit, Jo Swindle being UNdemocratic.

Gotta love ‘em.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 26-Sep-19 21:57:31

Urmstongran your posts always make me smile ????????

Sara65 Thu 26-Sep-19 22:00:42

Lib Dem’s definitely off the list, will never vote Tory again unless something enormously dramatic happens, and all those vile MPs, including Johnson, and especially Rees-Mogg lose their seats, and I’d never vote labour as long as Corbyn is in charge, so what’s left?

WOODMOUSE49 Thu 26-Sep-19 22:13:26

For once, undecided. We have a Conservative MP here with fair size majority. I will not and have never voted Conservative.

I would say LibDem but they need a majority and the election needs to be before Brexit.

All I can say is that I do not waste my votes. Voted Green last time.

Anniebach Thu 26-Sep-19 22:17:36

We recently had a by election and I voted for the Libs for the first time, Plaid Cymru and the Greens did put up a candidate
to get the Tory mp out, he had been found guilty of fraud.

The next election if Plaid or Greens don’t stand I will not vote, makes me sad after always voting labour but cannot vote
for Corbyn.

MaizieD Thu 26-Sep-19 22:18:04

Just hold your nose and do it, Sarah65?

I live in a safe Labour seat, so it really doesn't matter who I vote for.

gallusquine Thu 26-Sep-19 23:00:16

No doubt in my mind - SNP.

dragonfly46 Thu 26-Sep-19 23:06:05

I will vote but have no idea who for.

I will not vote Labour, Brexit, UKIP, Green - is anybody left?

Oh yes our local MP is Nicky Morgan who I think is a turncoat and I don’t like Jo Swinson.

Now maybe if Anna Soubry and Ken Clarke got together ....

annodomini Thu 26-Sep-19 23:29:20

Lib Dem, but I do wish I was living north of the Border!

crystaltipps Fri 27-Sep-19 06:21:33

We actually have a Labour MP who is anti Corbyn and pro Remain, plus she is local and her mum lives in my road, but she hasn’t put her head above the parapet so I probably won’t vote for her. I have voted Green/ LD in the past, but will wait and see who are local candidates are.

Sara65 Fri 27-Sep-19 07:30:22

Maizie

We are in a safe Tory constituency, but I’m not sure anything can really be considered safe anymore. If someone like me, who has never even considered voting any other way can’t bring themselves to do it, a lot of others may be feeling the same way. There could be some big upsets in safe seats.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 27-Sep-19 07:35:55

Judging for this thread it looks like a hung parliament.

Well back to square one folks