Gransnet forums

News & politics

The next General Election

(69 Posts)
WishIwasyounger Thu 26-Sep-19 20:26:24

As I'm new to GN, I'm wondering what the political landscape is like on here, and which way would GN'ers vote at the next GE which can't be far away. As a left leaning free thinker I'll probably go for Green or Lib Dem, but things are so fluid at the moment. No way would I vote Tory, and I'm not convinced that Labour can persuade enough middle of the road voters, even though I agree with many of their policies.

Labaik Fri 27-Sep-19 16:17:34

If brexit has taught me one thing it's that there are good and bad in all political parties, with the exception of the Brexit and UKIP lot. I was, even though I'm not religious myself, pretty annoyed to see Widdecombe wearing a fish brooch on TV last night.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 27-Sep-19 16:43:25

To be frank I think that there should be no election until brexit is sorted.

Otherwise an election will be all about Brexit with the other important issues getting drowned out.

Besides which you may or may not want Brexit and be willing to vote for the party to deliver what you want, but the rest of its policies as far as you are concerned be rubbish.

It will never work

varian Fri 27-Sep-19 16:57:33

That is LibDem policy WWmk2

If a GE happens first it will be overshadowed by brexit.

How many times have we heard that all those who voted Labour in 2017 endorsed leaving the EU, whereas the vast majority of Labour voters wanted to Remain, but still voted Labour because they liked other LP policies or because of traditional loyalties?

tidyskatemum Fri 27-Sep-19 17:11:03

I was brought up in a part of West Yorkshire where voting Labour is in the DNA and most people would rather slit their wrists than vote otherwise. Having said that, they also voted big time for Brexit and are still fervently in favour. I can’t see enough people going against their upbringing to vote out the Labour incumbent but quite a lot will go for the Brexit party. If we had PR any election result would be very interesting indeed.

varian Fri 27-Sep-19 17:13:06

Why tidy do you think these Labour voters in West Yorkshire, unlike most Labour Party voters, voted for brexit?

Urmstongran Fri 27-Sep-19 18:43:45

What is it about Lib Dem leaders and their belief they can just override Parliamentary conventions and the Constitution when it suits them? Why do they believe they can decide who leads the Labour Party?

Clegg demanded Brown step down as the price of a coalition. He also rode roughshod over the Parliamentary convention that in the event of a hung parliament, the incumbent PM has the right to try to form a government first.

Clegg indicated well before the election that he would prefer a coalition with Cameron; he then went on to demand Labour adopt Tory Austerity, despite campaigning against it.

Swinson has said Corbyn would have to resign before the Lib Dems worked with Labour, and she still thinks that despite the fact that he is the Leader of the Opposition, he has no right to try to form a government following a VONC that only he can bring.

What on Earth is she playing at?

"He doesn't have the numbers", she says. We know Jo, otherwise he'd be PM already.

One thing is for certain, she certainly doesn't have the numbers.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 27-Sep-19 18:52:10

Liam Fox is our MP and has a large majority but we are a remain area and the votes could well change. So though I would vote Labour in this case it will be Lib Dem.

varian Fri 27-Sep-19 18:59:09

We will find out if we have a GE who has the numbers.

Just to be clear, the top priority of the LibDems is to stop a no-deal brexit.

The ultimate aim of the LibDems is to Stop Brexit, Revoke Article 50 and ensure that the UK remains in the EU.

It could happen that a VONC results in a temporary government of national unity led by a temporay PM who would ensure that we did not crash out of the EU without a dreal..

Contrary to the way LibDem policy might be reported by the Brexit Broadcasting Corporation, Jo Swinson has not ever ruled out a GONU led by Corbyn.

She has merely said that Corbyn would be very unlikely to command the support of the house because the expelled moderate Tories are very unlikely to support him.

A better candidate could be Ken Clarke, Harriet Harman or Margaret Beckett who would all be more likely to get cross party support..

tidyskatemum Fri 27-Sep-19 19:02:02

Varian - They voted for Brexit because, despite Tony Blair’s government investing vast amounts of money which resulted in loads of distribution centres - which then employed Eastern Europeans instead of locals who in former times would have been miners. The Eastern Europeans brought their families, increasing competition for housing and school places and causing a lot of resentment. My DM had carers who constantly complained about their husbands being shut out of the workforce.

varian Fri 27-Sep-19 19:10:53

Then they should have blamed TB for not doing what he could have done and what other EU countries did, to phase the numbers of immigrants from Eastern Europe.

Like so many other legitimate complaints, the fault was with our own UK government, not with the EU, but the leave liars exploited these legitimate grievances for their own ends.

tidyskatemum Fri 27-Sep-19 22:13:02

Varian - hindsight is a wonderful thing! So what do you think Joe Average Voter's response should have been? (this is rhetorical, by the way!)

varian Fri 27-Sep-19 22:31:39

Unfortunately Joe Average Voter gets distorted information from the media. Research has show that 83% of brexit related news from our national newspapers is pro brexit, not unrelated to the vested interests of the newspaper proprietors

lilypollen Fri 27-Sep-19 23:09:36

Neutral on social media!!

Grany Sat 28-Sep-19 13:19:37

Jeremy Corbyn gets mobbed going into Greggs Johnson gets told get out of my town

twitter.com/chunkymark/status/1177896065896472577?s=20

Anniebach Sat 28-Sep-19 13:43:13

Breaking news - Corbyn goes into Greggs.

Did he need a glass door to hide behind this time ?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 28-Sep-19 13:55:12

Oh dear

Grany Sat 28-Sep-19 14:04:02

#OhJeremyCorbyn

One of Labours polices for the many is to regulate the press and bring about Leveson 2 and not before time too. Will get honest journalism, reporting news that would benefit people

lemongrove Sat 28-Sep-19 14:32:32

‘Gets mobbed going into Greggs’ !
Mobbed in a good way or...? Maybe he was trying out their new vegan sausage roll ( or more likely Seamus Milne told him where to go to connect to ‘the poor’.)