Gransnet forums

News & politics

Tory Party conference in Manchester

(249 Posts)
Urmstongran Thu 26-Sep-19 21:35:23

Seems MPs have rejected an attempt by the government to adjourn parliament to allow Tory politicians to attend the Conservative party conference in Manchester.

The event, due to start on Sunday and continue until Wednesday, comes the weekend after Labour held its party conference in Brighton and two weeks after the Liberal Democrats held theirs in Bournemouth.

Thoughts on this?

lemongrove Sun 29-Sep-19 19:34:59

Nobody adores any MPs at the moment.

Urmstongran Sun 29-Sep-19 19:36:05

This is seriously weird. Has there ever been a party conference venue with this level of 'protection' for the delegates before? Who are they afraid of?

Remainer protesters?

Leavers are pro Boris ....

MaizieD Sun 29-Sep-19 19:45:45

What are Remainer protesters going to do, apart from embarrass the Groper?

No Remain protest has ever been anything but peaceful.

growstuff Sun 29-Sep-19 19:50:31

To be fair, I'm sure you remember the 1984 Conservative conference in Brighton. It's not just those who voted to remain who dislike Johnson. Fringe Republican groups in Ireland have been upping their game and the Conservatives aren't exactly popular with many groups.

trisher Sun 29-Sep-19 19:50:52

I would imagine the people who need protection (although as they won't be there it'll be a bit of a waste) are those MPs who have consistently voted against the government and blocked deals. The Brexiteers don't like them.

growstuff Sun 29-Sep-19 19:54:27

Well, our PM thinks that's humbug! angry

lemongrove Sun 29-Sep-19 19:54:36

Does it matter who needs protection from who?
If the organisers wish to make sure MPs ( many of whom are women) are safe at the hotel and venue then good on them.

growstuff Sun 29-Sep-19 19:56:16

Not even worth a reply! Humbug!

lemongrove Sun 29-Sep-19 19:58:17

hmm

lemongrove Sun 29-Sep-19 19:59:22

There is the ever present threat of terrorism.

MaizieD Sun 29-Sep-19 20:08:49

I do indeed remember the 1984 Brighton conference. But it didn't lead to the barricading of conference hotels for the next 25 years.

The man's a coward...

Day6 Sun 29-Sep-19 20:10:11

Given the hate banners and violent sentiments of the idiot left who suspended their death threat banners from Manchester bridges, there is no wonder people in conference want to feel safe.

I believe the Mayor of Manchester has instructed that the banners displaying their vile leftist sentiments be taken down. hmm

Day6 Sun 29-Sep-19 20:12:18

Maizie, even schools are like prisons these days. Why shouldn't a place full of hundreds of people be a safe space?

Perhaps the right don't harangue other gatherings the way the left do?

Anniebach Sun 29-Sep-19 20:15:42

At last years Labour conference one female MP was accompanied by a police officer, she was a Jew.

lemongrove Sun 29-Sep-19 20:22:27

Since what happened at the Manchester Arena was a shocking warning of what could happen again, they are right to take all possible precautions as are any other political party and leader.
Of course, some it would seem take the view, ‘they’re Tories so we don’t care’ ‘ he’s a coward’ etc etc.
Shocking, in my view.

varian Sun 29-Sep-19 20:34:54

The brexit thugs are unlikely to target the Tory party conference because they still think "good old Boris" will "do brexit"

Impartialandeducated Sun 29-Sep-19 20:35:18

It seems there are people on this thread with little understanding of the present need for security. The little (and apparently forgotten by the likes of MaizieD and Trisher) matter of 9/11 and 7/7 should evidence the need for heavy security at major events....was it not 400 yards from the upcoming conference that Ariana Grande's concert was blighted? Hopefully you will now be more informed and remorseful aboutvyour ill constructed thinking.

grapefruitpip Sun 29-Sep-19 20:37:00

vile leftist sentiments

Is this helping?

LondonGranny Sun 29-Sep-19 20:44:03

Well, James Cleverly has the wrong surname. He said the Conservative government introduced the NHS. Bet he got a U in his History GCSE. Or does he think Nye Bevan was a Tory and that the post-WW2 election was a Tory landslide? I shall henceforth call him Jimmy Twoshort-Planks.

LondonGranny Sun 29-Sep-19 20:54:20

Mind you, James Hunt claimed the same thing a couple of years ago. Do they think if they repeat it enough eventually people will believe it? btw, don't need to henceforth give him a new name. It's already been done on Radio 4.

LondonGranny Sun 29-Sep-19 20:57:55

Jeremy! Well, they all look jamesy, don't they?

Barmeyoldbat Sun 29-Sep-19 20:58:47

Boris should have thought it before suspending parliament, he could have organised he timing better. To be honest I am quite happy that they are having trouble with conference time. As someone said, FaceTime, Skype and set up a conference on the internet.

annsixty Sun 29-Sep-19 21:46:57

I have a close friend, one of a large family, brought up in hard times who has made money, lots of it, through knowing the right people and making the right contacts.
He is now a raging capitalist, has joined the Conservative party and was down to attend the conference this week.
I couldn’t be happier that he now isn’t going.
He is betraying his roots,
Sour grapes? You bet.

MawB Sun 29-Sep-19 21:48:31

I was that “someone” Barmeyoldbat - many a true word is spoken in jest!

MaizieD Sun 29-Sep-19 22:00:34

Oh dear.

The defences can't keep out the hackers

Theo Usherwood
@theousherwood

New: our engineers tell me they’ve been told that Conservative Manchester conference keeps getting hit by a cyber attack every hour. That’s why the internet keeps going down