Gransnet forums

News & politics

33 days to go .... What’s the Brexit plan?

(726 Posts)
Urmstongran Sat 28-Sep-19 10:32:18

Something’s afoot!

The SNP’s embrace – with a public show of reluctance – for the idea of sending Jeremy Corbyn into Downing Street shows the mounting tetchiness among Remainers that somehow Boris will be able to get around the Benn Act, and thereby leave the UK hurtling towards a no deal by the end of next month unless they take action.

What are your thoughts on what’s going on?

SirChenjin Tue 29-Oct-19 13:02:58

The majority of the British people appear to agree with varian if the polls from the previous months are anything to go by chestnut. Looks like you're in the minority both here and generally.

Chestnut Tue 29-Oct-19 13:25:33

Well bring it on. We're having an election. Presumably you'll all vote for the Limp Dems.

varian Tue 29-Oct-19 13:28:37

Here is the best advice (from a mumsnet poster) on how to vote in this GE-

If you live in the Beaconsfield constituency vote for Dominic Grieve.

If you live in Brighton Pavilion constituency vote for Caroline Lucas.

If you live in Northern Ireland vote for the Alliance Party.

If you live anywhere else you should vote Liberal Democrat.

Chestnut Tue 29-Oct-19 13:35:54

Or rather how not to vote grin grin grin

Chestnut Tue 29-Oct-19 13:39:10

So basically you would end up with a Limp Dem government if you follow that advice. Then the country would be in even worse trouble than it is at the moment hmm hmm hmm

SirChenjin Tue 29-Oct-19 13:40:14

Seems v sensible varian (although up here I suspect the SNP will regain a lot of the seats it lost previously. The Tories are certainly finished in Scotland thanks to BJ and his band of idiots)

SirChenjin Tue 29-Oct-19 13:41:28

It’s called democracy chestnut - bring it on

Urmstongran Tue 29-Oct-19 14:46:13

I’m with Boris/Brexit/Farage. Be good to shake up the dynamic in this rotten HoC. I hope all those MP’s who voted against their constituency majority lose their seats.

Bye bye Soubry, Grieve, Yvette Cooper, hello new faces and true representatives of the majority of voters.

He who laughs last, laughs longest.

humptydumpty Tue 29-Oct-19 15:42:27

Ug, so pleased you consider it a laughing matter...

Chestnut Tue 29-Oct-19 15:43:02

It’s called democracy chestnut - bring it on
That is hilarious coming from a remainer who does not support the democratic vote to leave the EU! Back in 2016 the Lib Dems supported a referendum and their one time leader Paddy Ashdown actually stated that the result must be honoured. Now they are singing a very different tune!

SirChenjin Tue 29-Oct-19 15:47:06

That’s because democracy now shows that a majority want to remain Chestnut. I’m a great believer in that form of democracy and not at all afraid of another referendum which is, after all, the only way to sort this mess out.

Chestnut Tue 29-Oct-19 16:05:17

SirChenin - this survey of 28,000 adults earlier this month shows the majority (54%) want to abide by the referendum result and leave!
Why would we have another referendum when we haven't honoured the first one? What would you do if the result was the same, still be banging on about having a third referendum until you get the result you want?

lemongrove Tue 29-Oct-19 16:10:00

Hear hear Chestnut ????????????

lemongrove Tue 29-Oct-19 16:10:51

I hope that a GE really is on in December.

SirChenjin Tue 29-Oct-19 16:11:06

You do remember that the first referendum was advisory I take it?

Anyway, here are some polls
whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/if-a-second-eu-referendum-were-held-today-how-would-you-vote/

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/26/opinium-poll-observer-uk-voters-regret-brexit-referendum-conservative-lead-over-labour

scramnews.com/latest-second-referendum-polls-remain-ahead-of-leave/

Etc etc.

lemongrove Tue 29-Oct-19 16:16:20

There won’t be another referendum SirC so nobody need get worked up about it.

westendgirl Tue 29-Oct-19 16:21:05

I do wish some posters would remember that the ERG (TORIES, no less )voted consistently against ~Theresa May's deals , as did the present P.M. This selective remembering gets very tiring.

SirChenjin Tue 29-Oct-19 16:21:58

I'm quite well aware of that lemon - if you read the thread really carefully you'll see that at no point has anyone said there would be and as a result no-one has got 'worked up' about it

varian Tue 29-Oct-19 16:25:47

I used to think it was astonishing how often certain leavers confidently predict the future, in spite of the fact they are always wrong. Now it is just same old same old.

Chestnut Tue 29-Oct-19 16:33:59

Who has ever tried to predict the future Varian? I don't think anyone would attempt to do that. What a strange statement.

SirChenjin Tue 29-Oct-19 16:53:41

I know - who indeed would attempt to predict we’d leave by the 31st, do or die in a ditch etc? That would utterly ridiculous.

crystaltipps Tue 29-Oct-19 17:34:30

Didn’t Theresa May call an election certain she would get a landslide ? That turned out well.

varian Tue 29-Oct-19 19:44:42

Lemon posted "There won’t be another referendum SirC so nobody need get worked up about it."

Same old same old definite predictions. We shall see.

lemongrove Tue 29-Oct-19 21:10:26

Ever hopeful eh varian ?

Well, the government got the date they wanted for the GE on 12Dec.Just got to get through the Lords, but doubt they will make problems on this.
No 16 year olds or EU nationals will be voting either.

varian Tue 29-Oct-19 21:30:37

We will see what this election brings