Gransnet forums

News & politics

33 days to go .... What’s the Brexit plan?

(726 Posts)
Urmstongran Sat 28-Sep-19 10:32:18

Something’s afoot!

The SNP’s embrace – with a public show of reluctance – for the idea of sending Jeremy Corbyn into Downing Street shows the mounting tetchiness among Remainers that somehow Boris will be able to get around the Benn Act, and thereby leave the UK hurtling towards a no deal by the end of next month unless they take action.

What are your thoughts on what’s going on?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 02-Oct-19 08:27:55

ug that is a misunderstanding of the position.

This plan simply won’t fly, it doesn’t answer either NI demands the ROI.

The EU simply can’t accept this, particularly as Johnson has stated “this or nothing”

Johnson is going for a no deal be in no doubt about it.

The democratic elected representatives will do all they can to stop him as they consider this will be utterly devastating to the U.K. and their mandate is to protect the U.K. from damage and support their electorate.

Urmstongran Wed 02-Oct-19 09:18:22

In the Daily Mail this morning:

‘The Prime Minister will set out a 'two borders for four years' plan to resolve the backstop issue by leaving Northern Ireland in a special relationship with Brussels that would last for four years from the end of the transition period in January 2021.

After 2025, the Stormont assembly would be free to choose whether to stick to EU single market rules or follow British ones.’

The DUP seem keen because it’s ‘time limited’ and are reminding Varadkar and the EU that in a case of No Deal it is they who will have Tonya and Phil it up borders anyway.

Interesting.

MaizieD Wed 02-Oct-19 09:21:36

It's interesting, maybe, Ug, but it's bollocks and will not be accepted.

Urmstongran Wed 02-Oct-19 09:22:23

Sorry!! I must proof read.
‘Who will have to put up borders anyway’. Obv.

Urmstongran Wed 02-Oct-19 09:27:28

Okay MaizieD if that’s what you think, do you feel Boris is presenting a ‘duff’ deal on purpose knowing it will be defeated in the HoC?

I suppose then it’s an extension.

And Boris will probably collapse his Cabinet, force a GE, gain a massive majority and get us out that way!

What do you think?

Grandad1943 Wed 02-Oct-19 09:31:59

Urmstongran, in regard to your post @09:18 today, what the EU and the Haulage industry have been pointing out for more than a year now is that the technology does not exist at present to operate "remote checkpoints" away from the actual border.

Johnson does not want a deal and this rediculas plan has been brought forward to create a "smoke screen" that enables him to blame the EU for the failure of the negotiations.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 02-Oct-19 09:39:01

Johnson will now “blame” the EU.

But anyone with more than 2 brain cells will know exactly what his game is and has bern all along.

Why else would Cummings tell Tory MPs to “expect to be in the courts for the last half of October”

This transparent plan is exactly what we predicted.

Urmstongran Wed 02-Oct-19 09:43:30

It does seem then that the election narrative is going to be People -v- Parliament.

But in view if the intransigence of our MP’s - wasn’t it always going to come down to this?

MaizieD Wed 02-Oct-19 09:57:54

Okay MaizieD if that’s what you think, do you feel Boris is presenting a ‘duff’ deal on purpose knowing it will be defeated in the HoC?

Of course he is.

The civil servants who have had to put together this ludicrous and unworkable plan must be dying of shame to think that their duty to carry out the instructions of the government has required them to compile this.

Davidhs Wed 02-Oct-19 10:27:13

In no deal Ireland will have to put up maybe a dozen border posts to inspect goods, much of which would be fast tracked through, also surveillance to restrict smuggling.
Freedom of movement would continue, both ways with the U.K. controlling access to the mainland at ports, which is what happens now.

Urmstongran Wed 02-Oct-19 11:07:13

Thinking that Boris is a bit lazy .... seems he won’t want to have spent a lot of time on his homework so he’s cobbled together an essay ‘to hand in’. Job done and he can then shrug and say ‘I tried’.

Actually I don’t blame him. No-one is feeling conciliatory in the least right now!

I think No Deal is on its way.

MaizieD Wed 02-Oct-19 11:36:04

No deal is now illegal, Ug. That means, against the law.

Why are you ignoring this little point?

GabriellaG54 Wed 02-Oct-19 11:42:43

Wake me up when it's Dec 20th.
Whatever we say or write, whatever we think, it will make no difference. I'm just making the most of Autumn and doing a bit of pre C shopping...??

lemongrove Wed 02-Oct-19 11:55:05

Gabriella, yes, I think many people feel that way!
No deal, may (or may not) be illegal, we shall see.

humptydumpty Wed 02-Oct-19 12:14:56

lemon

It is illegal, the question is only whether BJ can avoid complying with this law.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 02-Oct-19 12:28:17

Noticeable how the governments rhetoric has calmed down this morning after last nights output. I think the reaction from the EU has forced them to shuttle back.

I think it will be shuttled back even further as the week goes on.

Urmstongran Wed 02-Oct-19 12:33:30

You’re right of course Gabriella! The only way we public get a say is at the ballot box. Bring on a general election!

Urmstongran Wed 02-Oct-19 12:36:35

Because I’m not a legal beagle MaizieD .... and I’ve read the Benn Act (a) has loopholes that (b) might well be challenged yet in a Court of Law.

It’s not over till the fat lady sings. I can’t even hear a tune yet.

MaizieD Wed 02-Oct-19 12:42:02

And I have read informed legal opinion that says it doesn't have loopholes,*Ug*. I suppose it might be tested in court.

Urmstongran Wed 02-Oct-19 12:44:02

There will always be different experts and different legal opinions on both sides of the Brexit debate.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 02-Oct-19 12:45:15

Isn’t it being tested this week? Cherry?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 02-Oct-19 12:46:08

The money is on extension though

Whitewavemark2 Wed 02-Oct-19 13:07:01

Oh well we can but hope

varian Wed 02-Oct-19 19:12:25

“It is not a serious proposal and presumably what they’re doing is simply trying to avoid a deal to get to no-deal.”

Former Northern Ireland negotiator Jonathan Powell says the PM’s Brexit offer is a political strategy to enable a no-deal Brexit

twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/1179154629315067904

Whitewavemark2 Wed 02-Oct-19 19:16:38

The question is whether Johnson is acting in good faith.

My question is

Has he ever?