Gransnet forums

News & politics

WHO RULES THE WORLD?

(59 Posts)
Lyndiloo Sun 29-Sep-19 01:52:12

(This is a light-hearted topic - or is it? Do think about it for a while ...?)

My brother, who is always watching 'conspiratory theory' ideas, maintains that the world is run, not by Governments of politicians, but by the richest men in the world.

They decide when there should be a war, with whom, and where. And manipulate the outcome.

The World Wars, the Twin Towers, the rise of Terroism, is all down to them.

They are so powerful that they decide who will become Prime Minister, or President, or Head of State. They control scientific research, migration, epidemics, rates of employment and education - and all the other aspects of our lives.

In short, They completely control US.

And it's all for money (of course). So that They remain the richest, most powerful men in the world.

Sounds fantastic ...? Yes, it does - but who knows? (Feel I should have some spookey music here - but you'll just have to imagine it!)

BradfordLass72 Tue 01-Oct-19 06:48:43

Whether it is true or not, what on earth can we do about it?

Advertising manipulates us, that's for sure but we either choose to buy what they peddle or we don't.

Just live your life the best you can; buy what you need; be kind to one another; teach your children to be respectful and help others - and don't get your knickers in a twist.

What more can we do?

And BTW, you're all wrong. I rule the world grin

Lilyflower Tue 01-Oct-19 09:09:21

Had a handyman in to do some work and while he was fixing the gubbins he explained how some random Jewish guy had been responsible for shooting JFK. There was no doubt he believed every word and he went on to elaborate on his view of the world.

Completely batsh*t. It worried me for a bit and then I remembered that most people are motivated by and adhere to some sustaining narrative whether religious, political or social. His seemed somewhat more harmful and bigoted than most but really, was it much worse than (still) blaming every ill on 'Thatcher' or 'The Tories'.

Fear drives intolerance and conspiracy theories. That and the need for scapegoats.

Best get on with our lives and mind our own beeswax.

Lilyflower Tue 01-Oct-19 09:09:57

Sorry, missed a question mark in the above post.

Sussexborn Tue 01-Oct-19 10:36:37

Putin is making quite an effort in that direction and he is probably more ruthless than most contenders.

suziewoozie Tue 01-Oct-19 13:17:33

absent I have no sympathy for conspiracy theorists no matter how confused, vulnerable and unhappy they may be. They spread fear, hatred and unhappiness - did you not read about the theory they spread about the Sandy Hook school massacre? Grieving parents were abused and told they had made up the killings, made up their children's very existence.
And Lily blaming ‘the Jews’ is nothing like blaming the Tories. No one making anti-Semitic remarks like that would be allowed to stay in my house for a nano second after uttering a comment like that.

M0nica Tue 01-Oct-19 18:25:46

A lot of work has been done into why people believe conspiracy theories. At one point it was thought that those feeling diempowered supported them because they could then feel comfortable that there were powers beyond our control who caused everything.

In the end it is comfort that draws us to conspiracy theorys. We want simple answers to complex problems that are difficul tto handle www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-47144738

MissAdventure Tue 01-Oct-19 18:41:40

I've a friend who believes in all sorts of strange stuff, that she spent years researching.

She has given up an excellent career (and a huge wage) as an accountant for a huge worldwide company, and taken off to find like minded people.

I wouldn't have said she was disempowered, but maybe she isn't a typical conspiracy theorist.

rosecarmel Tue 01-Oct-19 21:34:02

Quite a few conspiracy theories have eventually been proven to be true- MKUltra is one-

Somebody recommended the documentary Zeitgeist earlier in the thread, I second the recommendation- The part about religion, specifically, is fascinating -

I loved X-Files .. smile