Gransnet forums

News & politics

New hospitals anyone

(118 Posts)
ayse Sun 29-Sep-19 10:48:48

Just caught a bit of Andrew Marr this morning. Apparently Boris is promising new hospitals. After the last PFI debacle with the Blair government, I wonder who is going to be in line for making mega bucks this time?

I’d rather any monies were spent on providing enough qualified staff for the hospitals we already have and ensuring urgent problems were dealt with.

We can’t find the staff for existing hospitals nor for social care so why have more?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 29-Sep-19 12:15:24

Replying to the doctor

caroline oakshett
@climbfaster
·
Replying to
@doctor_oxford
This is what they do.
This is how they operate.
They are shameless, and I will go so far now as to say they are wicked.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 29-Sep-19 12:21:04

Tweeted by a German doctor

In Limbo
@InLimboBrexit

"...What if we ‘Europeans’ decide to actually go where we’re needed, wanted and treated as equals?
What if the NHS loses 30% of its workforce?
What next...?"

Daisymae Sun 29-Sep-19 12:28:34

If EU NHS staff return in any sort of number the NHS will collapse.

Firecracker123 Sun 29-Sep-19 12:30:03

Caroline Oakshett is a remainer she would say that wouldn't she lol.

ayse Sun 29-Sep-19 12:31:16

Anyone else think that minor injuries units or similar would be helpful?

When I was a child in the 1950s, I cut my hand badly. Mum and Dad called our GP. He came and stitched it up and later the district nurse would come and check its progress.

Seems to me local minor injuries units would be a useful addition to our health service and take some pressure off our casualty departments.

Living abroad, there were poly clinics that were GPS plus operated. I know we have drop-in centres but they don’t deal with minor physical injuries where I live. Let’s have properly staffed and equipped hospitals and places to go where small physical injuries can be attended too. This would also be able to act as a first port of call and prevent long waits in our casualty departments for minor injuries.

nightswimmer Sun 29-Sep-19 12:31:37

In our dreams.

GillT57 Sun 29-Sep-19 12:37:47

Apart from this being all a load of vague electioneering promises, that someone in the future will have to fund, is anyone daft enough to believe this? Also, a tiny technicality, the minimum wage limits that Ms Patel is proposing a la Australian visa system will exclude most nurses, junior doctors, radiographers etc. ( limit £30k) assuming anyone wants to come to a country where they are likely to feel barely tolerated, maybe even unwanted. Not much point in wonderful new buildings with no staff, no funds to buy equipment and medicines unless you think that the North Korean model is a good one. We are having an extension built to the reasonable sized medical centre here, but everyone agrees there is little point when the practice cannot afford the staff to use the rooms. Four empty practice rooms at present and a four week wait for a phlebotomist appointment. Johnson and his buddies need to think again.

paddyann Sun 29-Sep-19 12:43:05

Ayse we lost our A &E a few years ago and it was replaced with a minor injuries unit and a GP led out of hours service ..which is great IF and WHEN its staffed,it has been closed near 100 times this year because of lack of staff.
Its very much a chicken and egg thing ,people dont want to work in a hospital thats under threat of closure and because they cant get staff it IS under threat of closure .
Any wise popel who can fix this?

paddyann Sun 29-Sep-19 12:44:28

people ...

Happiyogi Sun 29-Sep-19 12:51:28

I suppose that these fairytale hospitals will be built and maintained by the mythical weekly £350m injection to the NHS that will flood in to us immediately upon 'taking back control'. Jackanory...

Grany Sun 29-Sep-19 12:57:42

Boris Johnson just said building 40 new hospitals in fact it’s 6 hospital reconfigurations. And under the Tories:

?Cuts have left hospitals with a £6 billion backlog of repairs.

? Less than 3% of previously announced capital investment has actually been delivered since 2017.

ayse Sun 29-Sep-19 13:05:45

Just wondering paddyann if it did work when the staff were available? There are just not enough staff to run any of our services properly. I’d be more than happy to pay more taxes to improve our services.

A proper career structure, good pay and less use of agency staff would also be of benefit. I’ve heard of midwives who cannot get back in for lack of retraining. In my opinion we need to invest in the people who work in the NHS.

GillT57 Sun 29-Sep-19 13:09:35

just more lies Grany and I am trying to work out which is the worst aspect of this, is it (a) that the Government think we will believe everything they tell us, despite the truth being out there or (b) there are many people that will believe everything they tell us, despite the truth being out there.
He was a gibbering, lying mess on Marr this morning, kept trying to deflect from everything by interjecting about 40 new hospitals, even saying that the new London Mayor would be better replacing some of the 20,000 Police Officers to tackle knife crime.......erm is that the same 20,000 Police Officers that the Tory Home Office cut? He is a bloody liar and I truly despair of anyone who thinks he is the man for the job. I do not think we will get new hospitals.

DidoLaMents Sun 29-Sep-19 13:42:25

Ayes, this does happen, my husband fell out of our loft and the ladder fell on him. He had a deep cut to the back of his head and bad bruising, he did not however, lose consciousness. The ambulance came and assessed him and thought he was not concussed. They then called out a mobile Emergency Care Practitioner (ECP) service to stitch his deep cut, which they could not do, but they would stay until ECP arrived; he responded quickly and the ambulance crew were released when he arrived. The wound was stitched in our living room, and he re-assessed him as it was a head injury. He instructed that should he develop any symptoms we were to call an ambulance/go directly to A&E. He was fine never lost consciousness and fully recovered. The wonderful thing about our NHS is most times good things do happen but that does not make a good headline. BJ’s capital investments if they happen makes the NHS’s assets more desirable to privatisation negotiations. The NHS staff struggle against massive cuts and staff shortages to provide us with a FATPOD service where the first question they ask you is how are you; not how are you going to pay? But it is under threat from the USA, where private companies have an exhausted market where they have squeaked every last penny for profit and milked the US people dry; they are in search of virgin markets and the NHS is their favoured target.

ayse Sun 29-Sep-19 14:39:04

Good to hear a good news story, Dido. Yes, I agree that Boris et al are looking for private investment from the US. I object very strongly to profit being made out of what should be publicly owned services. Already, pharmacies are delivering NHS services and I presume it must be profitable. In at least part of the West Midlands, Specsaver are delivering hearing services.

This is all in the cause of economy. The problem as I see it is that “customer services” staff are neither properly paid or trained.

Delivering services on the cheap inevitably ends up with the public paying twice.

I certainly don’t wish for the uncaring and money grabbing companies to have a hand in the NHS

Urmstongran Sun 29-Sep-19 14:47:31

Gosh he must have a pot of gold.

I imagine the new hospitals will replace old ones where maintenance of dilapidated buildings hoovers up a lot of money. Build new and sell the land on which the old ones presently occupy to mitigate the cost.

Eco friendly construction materials, better insulation and running costs.

Urmstongran Sun 29-Sep-19 14:56:56

We do very well, I must admit, here in Trafford for hospital staff. Always have done and the HR department always said recruiting Consultants and their families was easier - they are happy to come as we still have the 11+ system with state funded grammar schools. Stretford Grammar, Urmston, Sale, Altrincham Boys and Girls.

No need for the doctors/dentists/senior nurses/managers to spend their salaries on fee paying schools!

paddyann Sun 29-Sep-19 15:03:47

Why would they need toUrmtongran ,school in my area are very good and most people send their children to them.Doctors .Lawyers,the odd Professor of Jurisprudence and many more trot along to our local state schools with their offspring and the bonus here is they have a National Prk area for time off activities .

Those smae state schools turn out students who BECOME doctors ,Lawyers ,architects etc etc etc .Thats what STATE schools should be doing!

dragonfly46 Sun 29-Sep-19 15:08:08

Maybe that’s why you don’t see this as a Nationwide problem Urmston the rest of us are not so lucky!

Urmstongran Sun 29-Sep-19 15:10:02

True paddyann in our ideal world. We are fortunate. Some areas have sink estates with poor results from underperforming comprehensive schools. Senior hospital staff in those areas would, by the very nature of inner city life, more than likely consider fee paying schools for their children.

I was just stating how fortunate our position is, here in Trafford.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 29-Sep-19 15:20:11

Look at how many hospital etc have been closed since the Tories took office.

Reason not to believe a word Johnson says

skwawkbox.org/2019/09/29/166-reasons-closures-not-to-trust-a-word-boris-johnson-says-about-the-nhs/

growstuff Sun 29-Sep-19 15:22:57

The father of one of my current pupils is a consultant at my local hospital, which happens to be a centre of excellence in many areas. She's at a state school, as is her sister. My children went to the local state school, where a number of the children have parents, who are doctors, millionaires, bankers, captains of industry …

I don't expect many doctors would choose to live on sink estates.

growstuff Sun 29-Sep-19 15:25:15

The above doesn't mean that the local hospital isn't bursting at the seams and on the verge of collapse.

Urmstongran Sun 29-Sep-19 15:27:18

I didn’t say the doctors would be living on sink estates. In some areas it’s just that that is where the local state school is. Often behind big fancy houses is a council estate two roads back. Just saying that in some areas it is a big consideration for a family who have choice where to work.

Fennel Sun 29-Sep-19 17:19:51

ayse @ 14, 39
" Yes, I agree that Boris et al are looking for private investment from the US."
This has been going on for months.
The American health insurance system is very profitable, and they're looking to expand. They see our weakness and want to exploit it.
As for local provision, here in Gateshead we have a beautiful large hospital, the Jubilee Wing, built in the early 2000s, funded by the Labour govt. of the time. 12 operating theatres.