Gransnet forums

News & politics

Breaking news - Boris Johnson said something which is actually true!!!

(31 Posts)
varian Wed 02-Oct-19 18:12:19

Boris Johnson said today "there are foces in this country which do not want brexit done"

For once he speaks the truth. The opinion polls for the last two and a half years have shown that the majority of UK citizens want to Remain in the EU.

Well done, BJ, for confounding us all by saying something which is true. It is time for you to get the message and stop brexit.

DidoLaMents Thu 03-Oct-19 20:10:50

Interesting bunch of statistics from the independent thinktank, MaizieD. Thx for that. So much for the deceitful Remainers!

varian Thu 03-Oct-19 19:45:41

EU still 'unconvinced' by your new backstop plan, Donald Tusk tells Boris Johnson – live news

www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/oct/03/brexit-latest-news-boris-johnson-to-address-mps-as-gove-clams-new-plan-could-get-pretty-solid-majority-in-commons-live-news

MaizieD Thu 03-Oct-19 17:10:02

Nice try, Dido, but Jabberwok has been posting basically the same post for months and months now and has never been satisfied with any answer.

I found this, very recently:

ukandeu.ac.uk/which-mps-are-responsible-for-failing-to-get-brexit-done/

But it will make no impression on totally closed minds.

jura2 Thu 03-Oct-19 16:31:05

There are certainly very dark forces which do want Brexit done sad

varian Thu 03-Oct-19 16:12:53

"When Boris Johnson described his long-awaited proposals for changes to the Brexit withdrawal treaty as a compromise, he was not wrong. Two questions arise, however. What is being compromised? And who is Johnson compromising with?

The answer to the second is obvious: the proposals are a compromise, not with the EU, but with the DUP. And what is being compromised is the credibility of the UK as a partner in any international negotiations.

Though the EU and the Irish government are too polite to say so directly, Johnson’s plan destroys any remaining sense that the current regime in London is capable of sticking even to its own self-declared principles."

www.irishtimes.com/opinion/fintan-o-toole-boris-has-destroyed-what-is-left-of-uk-s-credibility-1.4039055

DidoLaMents Thu 03-Oct-19 15:51:19

jabberwok they voted barely seven months after the referendum; I’m not sure they, like many of us, fully understood the implications of what it meant to leave EU. Why is it such a sin to change your mind? It makes you mistaken or misled; not despicable or dishonest.

Jabberwok Thu 03-Oct-19 15:36:07

80% of M P's across the H of C voted to implement article 50, the two main parties went into an election on the back of delivering Brexit! Surely these, as it's turned out, despicable dishonest MP's on all sides should bear some of the responsibility, not just Jo /Joe soap public who were led by the nose by people who would sell their own Granny to get to No 10!

dragonfly46 Thu 03-Oct-19 15:26:23

BJ was originally a remainer but realised he had more chance at the top job as a Brexiteer. I think he is hoping for no deal as the right wing Tories will make a lot of money as that is what they have bet on. At the end of the day it all comes down to money not what is best for the country.

DidoLaMents Thu 03-Oct-19 15:17:04

Varian is indeed entitled to her opinion, gonegirl. Some people have never stopped objecting about our EU membership and use some pretty dodgy language to wind Brexit supporters up. .......

“If they don’t deliver this Brexit that I spent 25 years of my life working for, then I will be forced to don khaki, pick up a rifle and head for the front lines”

Nigel Farage, 14 May 2017

In reality 50% voted leave - 50% voted remain and Farage was ready to continue for another 25 years if the voting numbers had been reversed. I think you are being very optimistic that all will end on 31.10.19. Especially if life beyond Brexit proves less favourable as many think. You won’t see Nigel for dust.

Calendargirl Thu 03-Oct-19 14:57:33

Yes newnanny, I sincerely hope Boris manages to pull it off and get a deal of sorts, but doubt if the Remainers will allow that to happen.

NanKate Thu 03-Oct-19 14:28:50

I hope you are right newnanny. I agree with what you say. ?

maddyone Thu 03-Oct-19 14:28:11

The same old regurgitated stuff.

Amagran Thu 03-Oct-19 14:23:48

Quite so, growstuff, I totally agree.

growstuff Thu 03-Oct-19 13:28:40

As there still don't seem to be any tangible benefits from leaving (apart from for a few financiers and ideologues), the best outcome would be to revoke Article 50 and address the issues which made people want to vote to leave.

growstuff Thu 03-Oct-19 13:25:57

Varian is as entitled to her views as you are Gonegirl.

growstuff Thu 03-Oct-19 13:25:06

He was. I don't understand.

growstuff Thu 03-Oct-19 13:24:22

Why should the EU give anything? It's the UK which wants to leave. Eire will remain in the EU and the other member states are behind them.

The UK should have thought about all this before it even thought about leaving.

Gonegirl Thu 03-Oct-19 13:22:05

I thought Boris was one of the original Leavers.

growstuff Thu 03-Oct-19 13:22:04

The Irish (both north and south of the border) don't seem very happy with the proposal (apart from the DUP). I think they've been treated as irrelevant collateral.

Gonegirl Thu 03-Oct-19 13:20:55

The man's doing a job that has to be done. He could well pull this off if the sodding EU will just give a bit.

growstuff Thu 03-Oct-19 13:19:58

I thought Corbyn has always supported leaving the EU.

Gonegirl Thu 03-Oct-19 13:19:42

Oh for goodness sake! Give it up varian. You really don't want to become bitter and twisted over this.

newnanny Thu 03-Oct-19 13:16:44

I have been listening to the House of Commons carefully this morning. Apart form Lib Dems, SNP and Labour front bench I think Boris proposals will get enough support to get through the house if he can get an agreement with EU before 19th Oct. To leave with an agreement is surely the best outcome for both UK and EU. This is not a perfect agreement for UK, NI or EU however all 3 sides need to seriously compromise. In this agreement Boris has said there will be no hard border on NI so protecting peace on NI. I think Boris has worked very hard and this is a good way forward.

EllanVannin Thu 03-Oct-19 12:47:16

I'm almost certain he himself doesn't want to exit the EU but is doing so because the majority voted which means that the majority is " on-side " to keep him in position of PM should there be a GE. This is my own personal view.

I've been waiting to see if Labour do a U-turn towards Leaving as initially Corbyn was a Remainer and if they do, you can say goodbye to Boris as a Conservative government on its own strength, without Brexit, would be no more.

varian Thu 03-Oct-19 11:13:22

www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/boris-johnson-brutally-trolled-huge-17013382