Gransnet forums

News & politics

Edinburgh........... ......

(39 Posts)
gallusquine Sun 06-Oct-19 10:46:52

I joined 200,000 fellow Scottish Independence supports to March through Edinburgh yesterday. As always with Indy Marches it was a loud, colourful, exciting March full of good humour despite the dreich weather. It was the biggest March I've ever been on by far and the air was electric and full of hope.
Joanna Cherry spoke at the after march rally about Independence coming soon in the current fog of British Politics.

The usual inaccurate or no reporting from the BBC and its cronies in other media which is to be expected and of less consequence than in the past.
SOAR ALBA

lemongrove Sun 06-Oct-19 11:24:53

Protest marches achieve little, except to bring the matter to the public attention, and it was mentioned on the news this morning.

SirChenjin Sun 06-Oct-19 11:27:28

It was on the BBC news yesterday confused

Alexa Sun 06-Oct-19 11:27:45

A lot of people will want to live in Scotland after BorisBrexit. Property in Scotland will become more expensive. Industries will want to invest in Scottish bases.

SirChenjin Sun 06-Oct-19 11:31:00

It depends what happens post Brexit - so far we’ve heard nothing from the SG about what they’re offering Scotland or the rUK beyond the usual vague ‘independence’. I’m always mystified that people will commit to a yes/no/in/out vote without hearing the details

gallusquine Sun 06-Oct-19 11:46:01

SirChenjin
I would imagine that as they did in 2014 the SNP will publish their manifesto. The White Paper was a weighty tome laying out the case and implications of Scottish Independence.

SirChenjin Sun 06-Oct-19 12:03:07

‘Imagine’ doesn’t quite cut it for me - especially as we all know that the White Paper got a few things wrong.

I’m actually not as opposed to independence as I used to be before the disaster that is Brexit happened, but in order for me (and many others like me) to help get this over the line the Pro Indy lobby need to be far better at providing actual, real, hard evidence and detail. We don’t even know if we’ll be back in the EU and in what form - and for me that’s key. They also need a significant swing to Indy right across Scotland as opposed to simply more votes in Glasgow, Dundee and some parts of the Central belt - otherwise we could end up with a similar situation to the one we’re experiencing now, with half the country fighting tooth and nail not to leave now that it’s become clear that the figures don’t add up. I don’t think the majority of Scottish people are really desperate for more infighting, divisions or acrimony - we need a break in order to take a breath and to be clear in terms of what a yes/no vote would mean for us in the long term, with clear facts and figures to back up our position inside or outside of the EU. Marches and motorway bridge demos etc are great for the people who are committed to the cause but utterly meaningless for those who aren’t - it’s all just flag waving and too redolent of the pro Brexit rhetoric.

Jane10 Sun 06-Oct-19 12:04:45

I gather Nicola didn't turn up. Not like her to miss a photo opportunity!
As usual, numbers attending grossly overestimated. However, I'm sure they all had a lovely day out shouting and agreeing with each other.

Floradora9 Sun 06-Oct-19 12:50:38

Does not matter what your views are marches are disruptive to the other people not involved in the march , cost money in policing and sadly achieve nothing . They are forgotten in a few days unless you live in Hong Kong and are willing to lay down your life for the cause.

paddyann Sun 06-Oct-19 12:57:44

Its NOT an SNP event Jane10 never was neverhas been .The clue is in the name .ALL UNDER ONE BANNER .All parties and groups marching together and Nicola has never been on one.None that I've been on anyway unless she hiding in the crowd .Flora we pay for policing and we train and provide our own marshalls .We will be Independent and we will march until we are.IF we weren't already in the union do you think anyone would want to join it? So why would we want to remain in it?

SirChenjin Sun 06-Oct-19 13:03:16

You do not pay for your own policing at all!! And let’s be clear - it’s not all parties, is it? If unions are so bad then why the need for the EU? Why do we benefit from trade and shared resources? You posts sound like the worst of the Brexit party at times.

gallusquine Sun 06-Oct-19 13:26:36

It definitely is an all party / no party thing with the common denominator being Independence. If nothing else it was a fun uplifting day which can’t be a bad thing in the current climate 🙄

SirChenjin Sun 06-Oct-19 13:33:43

If it makes you happy then go for it!

When you say all parties - which politicians and political parties were there?

gallusquine Sun 06-Oct-19 13:38:49

I didn’t get the chance to ask all of the 200,000 about their, or lack of, political affiliations.

Jane10 Sun 06-Oct-19 13:59:50

All under one delusion then? grin

SirChenjin Sun 06-Oct-19 14:14:41

You must have seen the banners from the political parties - Tories, Lib dDems and so on? And surely the politicians from all parties were addressing the crowds? That’s what normally happens at rallies and marches

Daddima Sun 06-Oct-19 14:16:20

jane10, I’d be interested to know the exact number who attended, so perhaps you could share your method of establishing numbers? I’m sure the organisers would be grateful.

AllotmentLil Sun 06-Oct-19 17:39:39

SirChenjin 13.03 - agree with every word.

Jane10 Sun 06-Oct-19 17:55:39

Dadima the organisers don't want to know! Last time they said there was 100,000 at their march the police said there was 20,000.
This time local eye witnesses put the numbers again at around 20,000. I daresay official figures will be out soon enough.

jura2 Sun 06-Oct-19 22:28:05

Disappointing and unpleasant- again.

Not the March, that was great.

Jane10 Mon 07-Oct-19 06:56:51

Gosh were you there jura? I didn't see you!

jura2 Mon 07-Oct-19 09:41:20

Ah but you were not marching were you? So?

Jane10 Mon 07-Oct-19 11:42:10

So I wish you'd make your mind up. It's so confusing that you are anti one form of union but pro another?

jura2 Mon 07-Oct-19 12:34:05

I do believe I made it very clear in the past- I am 100% pro the Union- and was delighted when Scotland chose to remain.

However, a Union requires respect and to take the wishes of all members in consideration, again with respect, as partners.

It is clear that Scotland voted to remain in the EU and it is also clear that they have been totally ignored since then, and totally set aside as if they were totally insignificant. And this has made many change their mind- I feel desperately sorry about this personally- but I can totally understand why. As much as I'd hate the Union to break up - if Scotland feels ignored, not listened to, disrespected even- I just can't blame them, at all. If they remain in the EU - I'll probably sell our place in the UK and move.

My post however was about the march and the quite unpleasant comments made- which added nothing at all and disappointed me.

As you know, I have never lived in Scotland, and only visited on holiday. So I totally agree I am absolutely no expert on Scottish matters. So yes, I want the Union to remain- but as true partners.

Jane10 Mon 07-Oct-19 13:10:04

My comments were to balance beliefs held, based on media information, that Scotland really wants to be independent of Britain.
The majority in Scotland do not want to be independent but do not march about the streets trying to force that view on others.