Gransnet forums

News & politics

Edinburgh........... ......

(40 Posts)
gallusquine Sun 06-Oct-19 10:46:52

I joined 200,000 fellow Scottish Independence supports to March through Edinburgh yesterday. As always with Indy Marches it was a loud, colourful, exciting March full of good humour despite the dreich weather. It was the biggest March I've ever been on by far and the air was electric and full of hope.
Joanna Cherry spoke at the after march rally about Independence coming soon in the current fog of British Politics.

The usual inaccurate or no reporting from the BBC and its cronies in other media which is to be expected and of less consequence than in the past.
SOAR ALBA

jura2 Mon 07-Oct-19 13:12:10

how can a march 'force' anything on others?

Alexa Mon 07-Oct-19 13:43:38

I'm Scottish and live in England. I've lived in various locations in UK and Europe. After BorisBrexit which will be a disaster for poor old England I'd like to return to Scotland especially if Scotland becomes independent, but my family is in England.

Granny23 Mon 07-Oct-19 14:46:02

Brexit will be a disaster for poor old Scotland too. Also for Wales and particularly for Ireland, both North and South.

At least in Scotland we have a route out of this shambles and an informal guarantee that Scotland would be welcomed with open arms to remain in the EU if it should become Independent of Westminster during the transition period. This because the EU knows that this would be of benefit to the whole EU because of Scotland's resources e.g. self sufficient and to spare in Wind and Wave power, oil, water, fishing grounds, food and drink.

Unlike England, Scotland is underpopulated, so any expat Scots or Europhiles who wish to relocate to Scotland will be very welcome.

Riverwalk Mon 07-Oct-19 14:54:19

Unlike England, Scotland is underpopulated, so any expat Scots or Europhiles who wish to relocate to Scotland will be very welcome.

Ah, but do you have Ocado deliveries Granny23?

grapefruitpip Mon 07-Oct-19 14:58:09

I thought Bonnie Greer spoke some sense about Ireland.

Westminster just doesn't get it.

If I could get out of England I would.

Urmstongran Mon 07-Oct-19 15:41:19

In good news for Scottish self-determination, serial loser Ruth Davidson has announced she may front the No 2 campaign.

jura2 Mon 07-Oct-19 16:37:34

In discussions with many EU expats/immigrants, many with businesses strongly linked to UK - the idea of moving business, investment, property, etc, to Scotland, really appeals. As it does for us.

There is huge admiration and affection for Scotland all over the EU- it was so way before Brexit.

Labaik Mon 07-Oct-19 19:31:36

If Scotland does become independent and remains in the EU what will happen at the border crossings if England does leave the EU?

Alexa Mon 07-Oct-19 19:35:41

Granny23, Places like Argyll and Bute or the Isles yes, but not the Lowlands or the Borders, surely, if house prices are any indication of demand.

jura2 Mon 07-Oct-19 20:00:29

In this case, it will be 'simple' a double border- UK customs and then EU customs, or vice-versa depending on direction of travel, as happens elsewhere on EU non EU borders. Probably checks on trains and before flights, etc.

jura2 Mon 07-Oct-19 20:01:27

I thought Ruth was resigning?

SirChenjin Mon 07-Oct-19 20:04:42

Ruth resigned a few weeks ago

jura2 Mon 07-Oct-19 20:59:44

hopefully a new ferry line between Ireland and Scotland.

Fiachna50 Tue 08-Oct-19 00:16:34

I cannot face another referendum on anything. I certainly do not want another Scottish Independence referendum. The last one was enough thanks.