Gransnet forums

News & politics

Should politicians’ children get involved?

(70 Posts)
MawB Mon 07-Oct-19 09:12:29

Actress Tracy Ann Obermann has been criticised by Jeremy Corbyn’s son. The 53-year-old, is Jewish and a critic of Labour’s handling of its anti-Semitic record.
In response, Tommy Corbyn 26 wrote:
“You nasty troll. My dad has been a friend and supporter of the Park Theatre since it opened in 2013 and helped in setting it up. The fact you think your presence is even worthy of a second thought is laughable.”

Should children or siblings get involved? I suspect Tommy has done his dad no favours.

Eloethan Mon 07-Oct-19 18:55:08

It is hard to believe that a 53 year old woman, who is not averse to flinging around accusations of anti-semitism about anyone whose views she disagrees with, genuinely feels "intimidated" by Tommy Corbyn's tweet.

I quite understand why he felt very upset and betrayed, given his Dad's well documented commitment to peace and anti-racism, and to his support for the theatre.

With a little more forethought he could perhaps have composed a more polished tweet, as anyone in the mainstream media would have done, but at least what he said sounded spontaneous and sincere.

trisher Mon 07-Oct-19 19:01:08

Good for him too many children are critical of their parents but he stuck up for his dad. As for her making jokes about 'trolling' isn't really on. She's old enough to know better.

maddyone Mon 07-Oct-19 19:24:44

Sometimes the bigger person simply ignores nasty comments.

MaizieD Mon 07-Oct-19 20:29:07

It sounds as though it is a forum for people to spew nastiness and vile comments.

Twitter is what you make of it, maddyone. I find it very useful for pointing one in the direction of authoritative information and it has some wonderfully quirky tweeters. You really are not obliged to read every tweet. I know that some people's tweets will be followed by a barrage of abuse so I'll read the tweet, but I don't go any further..

suziewoozie Mon 07-Oct-19 21:18:49

maddy unless you are on and use Twitter you simply can’t ‘get’ it. As for nastiness and vile comments, there are some posts on GN which would give some tweets a run for their money??

maddyone Mon 07-Oct-19 22:35:45

Obviously I understand that not all tweets/tweeters spew vile abuse, but I have heard enough about Twitter to ensure that I have absolutely no desire to go there. I find the death threats apparently issued to other tweeters, or about other people, particularly it seems those in the public eye such as MPs, journalists etc to be particularly repulsive. I personally don’t particularly like Diane Abbott, but I understand (from comments she has made herself on Question Time) that she has endured some horribly vile abuse on Twitter. I don’t think that she deserves this, nobody does. Therefore it seems to me, looking in from the outside, that Twitter gives people a platform to spew nastiness and vile comments.
To those of you ladies who enjoy using Twitter I would say fine, it’s what you want to do, but for myself, the bad press it receives has ensured that I will never use it. Incidentally, as I do a lot of childcare and elderly mother care, I find it’s more than enough keeping up with Gransnet.

maddyone Mon 07-Oct-19 22:40:07

Susie, yes agreed, there are a few aren’t there? grin

suziewoozie Mon 07-Oct-19 22:40:22

maddy of course I agree with you about the awfulness of abuse on Twitter but sadly, the abuse is also dished out via email and Facebook as well and in person.

maddyone Mon 07-Oct-19 22:41:07

Susie, agreed again.

suziewoozie Mon 07-Oct-19 22:45:07

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/sep/26/how-serious-are-the-threats-to-uk-mps-and-other-public-figures

This is horrible to read- includes leaving voicemails and anonymous letters

maddyone Mon 07-Oct-19 22:59:25

Shocking, isn’t it? And sad, what an indictment of the society we live in!

absthame Mon 07-Oct-19 23:04:33

I have no issue with TC expressing his opinion. However to express it with such vitriol shows what a obnoxious guy he is. As for defending his father for encouraging antisemitism, for that is in reality what he does do and has done for many years, it is a waste of words.

trisher Tue 08-Oct-19 10:06:43

absthame Jeremy Corbyn has never been anti-semitic simply someone who believes that all points of view should be listened to and as such has spoken to and supported Palestinians. Isn't it a pity there isn't a term of abuse we could utilise to denigrate those who refuse to see real and obvious abuses of human rights.

absthame Tue 08-Oct-19 10:26:06

Trisher I beg to disagree, to be so partial on the Palestinian issue has always clouded his vision. Many of us feel a great deal of support for the Palestinian cause and abhor the behavior of various Israeli governments in particular those led by Lakud but unlike Corbyn we hate antisemitism and unlike Corbyn do not tolerate it.

It is often the case that failure to act or general silence on an issue is the same as supporting the issue. So it is with Corbyn and antisemitism, his lack of action is the same as raising a flag for it.

trisher Tue 08-Oct-19 10:31:57

absthame you don't approve of democratic process then but believe someone should act on their own without proof, purely on allegations? That's dangerous ground.

Grany Tue 08-Oct-19 10:45:55

absthame I don't know where you get your ideas from probably the right wing Tory billionaire bias press
Jeremy Corbyn has fought all forms of racism all his life a peace campaigner. He does not tolerate any form of racism in his party. Strict guidelines have been brought in to deal with any AS when he became leader. As there are far more members who joined the Labour Party these are overwhelming decent people and many are out canvassing for a Labour government for the people.

absthame Tue 08-Oct-19 11:10:17

Granny My ideas do not come from the Tory press, it really is time for adults to open their eyes and ears to the history of your “Saintly Leader."

I have had to put up with that charlatan since he was an inept trades union officer, since he first got involved in AA and CND, both of which I was an active member of well before he was out of primary school. Corbyn has only, just like Johnson, only ever been interested in his own views, self gratification and owes loyalty to no one.

Grany Tue 08-Oct-19 11:17:25

He and Labour have fantastic polices that people need right now. And he speaks for the many. These polices will the put people first not the richest 1% and you can't argue with that.

Fantastic green polices

Properly fund our precious NHS

Amongst many more good polices.

trisher Tue 08-Oct-19 11:20:59

You haven't answered my question absthame do you believe in due process of not? If you condemn Corbyn for anti-semitism would you like to give an example? Isn't it surprsing how many people on GN are suddenly complaining they are disgruntled left wingers. I have yet to meet any in person who disapprove of Corbyn so how come there are so many on here?

absthame Tue 08-Oct-19 12:19:33

What has due process have to do with Corbyn trisher or is it that you mean do I believe in democracy? If that is the case the answer is yes, unfortunately under the current party constitution the Labour Party for internal purposes no longer does.

With regards to his antisemitism, I have already said his reluctance to get it sorted within the party is the same as waving a flag in favour of it.

Corbyn has always been the same, that is he is always very partial and favouring one side over another on problems like the Palestinian/ Israeli issue or the Northern Ireland/ Ireland issue. I may be extremely sympathetic to the Palestinian cause, very anti the behaviour of Israeli governments over the past 20 years; or I am in favour of a unified Ireland, but my views do not matter as I do not push myself forward as a peace maker while behaving very partially........... BUT Corbyn has always done that. He acts to aggravate problems. He is a false peacemaker.

trisher Tue 08-Oct-19 12:44:16

I mean due process for investigating allegations absthame it is there in the LP to investigate allegations of anti-semitism. Woud you rather people just went round saying "She's anti-semitic" and someone else saying "OK we'll get rid of her" that's how dictatorship works.
As for peace processes. Your dismissal of Corbyn does not tally with International opinions on his contribution to peace and negotiation. He has been awarded 2 peace prizes. Or are you in some way suggesting there is an international conspiracy to reward anti-semitism and partiality? Conspiracy theories about Jews are roundly and correctly dismissed, can it be that you believe there are other conspiracies which somehow have substance?

Anniebach Tue 08-Oct-19 12:48:02

trisher we disagreed over the wall mural which Corbyn defended , I said it was anti semetic you said it was not.

Corbyn eventually said ‘I regret I did not look more closely
at the image I was commenting on, the contents of which are
deeply disturbing and anti semetic ‘

trisher Tue 08-Oct-19 12:56:49

OMG Anniebach do you never get bored with repeating old arguments? I know you regard me as anti-semitic (I'm not) I do believe in artistic freedom. But just move on please.

Anniebach Tue 08-Oct-19 13:00:34

trisher I do not believe you are anti semetic but you will
defend those who are if Corbyn is involved. Blind devotion?

absthame Tue 08-Oct-19 13:08:20

trisher Sorry I do not accept that the party's mechanisms for dealing with these issues are either impartial or sufficiently independent to warrant having confidence in. I'll be interested in the results of the more independent investigations into the whole issue and maybe that will indicate what is really going on, rather than relying on your or my less than objective views.