Gransnet forums

News & politics

Should politicians’ children get involved?

(69 Posts)
MawB Mon 07-Oct-19 09:12:29

Actress Tracy Ann Obermann has been criticised by Jeremy Corbyn’s son. The 53-year-old, is Jewish and a critic of Labour’s handling of its anti-Semitic record.
In response, Tommy Corbyn 26 wrote:
“You nasty troll. My dad has been a friend and supporter of the Park Theatre since it opened in 2013 and helped in setting it up. The fact you think your presence is even worthy of a second thought is laughable.”

Should children or siblings get involved? I suspect Tommy has done his dad no favours.

Alima Mon 07-Oct-19 09:35:02

They are all going to be at it before long. The Cooper/Balls child was on about something the other day. Sure made an impact, forgotten what it was already. TBH find it hard to think of anything that could do JC any favours.

Grany Mon 07-Oct-19 09:41:41

He was defending his dad as Jeremy Corbyn has had so many slurs lies media propaganda attacks against him. It's not fair a life long anti racist campaigner and two peace awards. He should not have said anything, kept his cool like his dad, but was defending his dad.

MawB Mon 07-Oct-19 09:49:50

But discretion is surely the better part of valour.

Amagran Mon 07-Oct-19 09:50:24

I believe that the children of politicians are as entitled to express their opinions publicly as anyone. It is for them and their families to decide on the wisdom of doing so.

Personally, I think that if they are going to comment, it would be wise to choose their words and the tone of their statements more carefully than Tommy Corbyn did if they want to help their parents. A polite and measured admonition would have had greater impact.

MawB Mon 07-Oct-19 09:50:41

And Tommy C is not a child any more. hmm

Callistemon Mon 07-Oct-19 09:54:18

There is a way of expressing his views and this, for a 26 year old, sounds childish and petulant.
I can understand him wanting to defend his father but this is not the way to do it.

He has probably embarrassed him.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 07-Oct-19 09:54:47

I believe he should be allowed to defend his dad and can see why

suziewoozie Mon 07-Oct-19 10:00:33

This is the first time I believe he’d done it and it was in response to a very specific act of TO - taking a photograph of JC having coffee at the theatre and tweeting it with a goody comment. I’m no JC fan but the OP was lacking context and TO is pretty vicious on Twitter - she dishes it out and often has tweets deleted.

suziewoozie Mon 07-Oct-19 10:02:34

But I agree he’d be better not to tweet as it will always be criticised and not given context.

Anniebach Mon 07-Oct-19 10:04:20

The Cooper/Ball daughter spoke of her fear of death threats to MP’s, how their home has panic buttons etc. and her fear her mother will be killed .

Corbyn junior has the same right as everyone to freedom of
speech, even when arrogant and lacking politeness.

maddyone Mon 07-Oct-19 10:30:53

Of course Corbyn junior should be allowed to express his opinions. It’s just a shame that he chose to express them so arrogantly and rudely.

whywhywhy Mon 07-Oct-19 10:36:28

All these kids have a right to express themselves but maybe a bit less rudely in future. We see their parents as politicans and they see them as parents. Always going to be different.

MamaCaz Mon 07-Oct-19 10:45:37

Amagran I believe that the children of politicians are as entitled to express their opinions publicly as anyone. It is for them and their families to decide on the wisdom of doing so.
Personally, I think that if they are going to comment, it would be wise to choose their words and the tone of their statements more carefully than Tommy Corbyn did if they want to help their parents. A polite and measured admonition would have had greater impact.

My feelings exactly.

suziewoozie Mon 07-Oct-19 15:14:15

TO is a 53 year old woman, used to being in the public eye, who spews out bile, venom and vitriol regularly on Twitter. Maybe some of you so quick to criticise TC might be a bit more even handed about the behaviour of s woman old enough to be his mother.

maddyone Mon 07-Oct-19 15:43:03

Who is TO?

suziewoozie Mon 07-Oct-19 15:52:09

See OP

MawB Mon 07-Oct-19 16:52:09

She is an actor although frankly I had not come across her before now.
Do you have examples of the bile and venom Suziewoozie ?

suziewoozie Mon 07-Oct-19 16:58:52

Go on Twitter Maw and see for yourself. She has neatly 80,000 followers and TC has about 10,000. Her worst tweets have been deleted. I think her tweet with the photo was pretty goady for starters anyway. I just find the piling in by some posters onto TC without looking at the context and without knowing anything about TO or bring willing to criticise her as well is just so uneven handed. I follow lots of Jewish people on Twitter who are in the public eye and most are very critical of JC but unlike TO ( and Rachel Riley) they generally tweet rationally and reasonably.

gillybob Mon 07-Oct-19 17:38:38

TAO is the narrator from Escape to the Chateaux smile

Anniebach Mon 07-Oct-19 17:42:17

She mustn’t fight back against anti semetism?

suziewoozie Mon 07-Oct-19 17:57:55

annie I never said that - I was talking about the context of the OP and the tone of TO’s tweets in general which helps explain ( but not excuse)the tone of the replies she gets.

Grandad1943 Mon 07-Oct-19 18:10:28

Tracy Ann Obermann has been for a considerable period of time posting on social media in regard to antisemitism. Of recent, she has claimed that she is being trolled by Labour party members in regard to her actions.

However, having noticed that Jeremy Corbyn was relaxing at a theatre which she was attending, she then took a selfie photograph of herself with Corbyn in the background. Obermann, then posted that photograph on social media with the tag "being trolled by Corbyn now."

In the foregoing, I believe any close relation to someone being treated in such a constructed manner would "stand up" for that close relation in quite a forceful manner.

Anyone with a non-biased view would only too well understand why such a forceful defence was carried out.

Anniebach Mon 07-Oct-19 18:18:54

Is he the son whose education cause the split in the marriage of Corbyn and the second Mrs Corbyn ?

maddyone Mon 07-Oct-19 18:26:22

Well I don’t have a Twitter account and judging by what some posters say on Gransnet about the stuff that is put on there, I have absolutely no desire to go on Twitter. It sounds as though it is a forum for people to spew nastiness and vile comments. I prefer to live my life without reading that kind of venomous abuse towards others.