Gransnet forums

News & politics

Should politicians’ children get involved?

(70 Posts)
MawB Mon 07-Oct-19 09:12:29

Actress Tracy Ann Obermann has been criticised by Jeremy Corbyn’s son. The 53-year-old, is Jewish and a critic of Labour’s handling of its anti-Semitic record.
In response, Tommy Corbyn 26 wrote:
“You nasty troll. My dad has been a friend and supporter of the Park Theatre since it opened in 2013 and helped in setting it up. The fact you think your presence is even worthy of a second thought is laughable.”

Should children or siblings get involved? I suspect Tommy has done his dad no favours.

varian Sat 12-Oct-19 10:16:25

Some politician's children needn't worry

trisher Thu 10-Oct-19 23:02:37

So thirteen Nobel peace prizes mean nothing absthame? Really I wonder if there is anyone or anything that meets your own exacting standards.

absthame Wed 09-Oct-19 23:20:04

Bruce Kent was a lovely man but often showed a lack of good judgement on a number of occasions. The IPB is not widely recognised as a body that is independent and offers awards of any merit.

trisher Tue 08-Oct-19 22:56:31

I thought you were a long time member of CND absthame Bruce Kent was a member of the IPB and in 1985 became its president. Do you ever think you have a problem with left wing organisations no matter what they are?

absthame Tue 08-Oct-19 22:25:36

Yes Trisher it is not reputable, except with some elements of the v left.

absthame Tue 08-Oct-19 22:23:37

Grandad1943 I agree that the treatment of the Palestinians by Israeli governments and those of the USA, has been appalling. This has not been helped by the rest of the Western governments wringing their hands in mock sympathy for the slaughter of of the Palestinians.

However people like Corbyn who claim to be peacemakers but go out of their way to have conversations with various groups on one side only, do not contribute to peace they only irritate the situation.

If there is a lesson to be learned from NI it is that by involving everyone concerned in conversations resolutions may be found to the most intractable problems. More recently our bonking PM has demonstrated just how dangerous it is to not include all parties to resolve problems as established arrangements can easily be destroyed like in NI

Grandad1943 Tue 08-Oct-19 21:20:43

absthame, in regard to your post @20:29 today, and your statement of Jeremy Corbyn being held up as a paragon, then I would believe that he and a great number of activists in the Labour Party would be rolling about in fits of laughter at that thought.

However, what Corbyn has always realised is there can be no lasting peace settlement in the middle east until the Palestinian people are granted the Justice that they have been waiting for since 1947.

However, right wing political organisations throughout the world (including the Tory Party in Britain) have never wished to see that justice come about.

After all, a great deal of money has been made by arms western arms manufacturers and suppliers from all the conflicts fought in the middle east which have always held gained their roots from the Israel/Palestinian situation.

trisher Tue 08-Oct-19 20:58:50

Speaking as a "big lass" absthame I think perhaps you should examine the idea that you are better placed to judge Corbyn than anyone else. Are you suggesting that the International Peace Bureau is some sort of biased organisation?

absthame Tue 08-Oct-19 20:30:55

Sorry really not ready

absthame Tue 08-Oct-19 20:29:51

I have not said that the Tories are not partial, ofcourse they are, but they are not held up as paragons of virtue. Corbyn however is and I am sick and tired of hearing about his peace prizes. Check out what they ready are and who sponsored them.

Eloethan Tue 08-Oct-19 20:22:42

He said nothing about her Jewishness. He was responding to her because she had posted a sarcastic tweet and photograph. I don't think Corbyn would have expected, or wanted, his son to get involved. It seems to me that his son was just very upset and wanted to defend his Dad.

If Corbyn is "partial" on the Palestinian issue, does the fact that around 80% of Conservative MPs are members of the Conservative Friends of Israel (there is no Conservative Friends of Palestine by the way) and frequently attend Friends of Israel events suggest that they are impartial in respect of the Israel/Palestine issue?

Grandad1943 Tue 08-Oct-19 20:15:15

Anniebach, the discussion seems to have developed into several members of this forum accusing Jeremy Corbyn and the Labour party of promoting antisemitism, rather than a defence of a father by a son.

However, there is substantial evidence of Islamophobia being highly prevalent in the Conservative Party especially when its leader describes women wearing traditional Muslim dress as "looking like letterboxes.

So, in the interests of balanced debate in this thread, many may well believe that accusations of racism in both political parties should be discussed equally.

So, we could begin that balanced debate with information on what has happened to the promised Boris Johnson inquiry into islamophobia in the Tory Party.

Any answers????

Anniebach Tue 08-Oct-19 18:50:52

The discussion is of a reply on Twitter to a labour politician’s
son to a Jew.

Grandad1943 Tue 08-Oct-19 18:36:40

Still waiting for those who feel so strongly regarding racism to inform me what is happening to the promised enquiry regarding islamophobia in the Tory Party.

Or, could it be that to some on this forum racism only ever occurs in the Labour Party.

Grandad1943 Tue 08-Oct-19 15:26:48

While all this argument is taking place regarding antisemitism in the Labour Party, could someone please inform me what has happened to the promised enquiry into islamophobia in the Conservative Party.

In a party where now numerous persons have had their membership revoked for proven islamophobic postings on social media, but then almost all those people have very quickly been allowed re-admittance to the party, surely an independent enquiry needs to be quickly set up.

Boris Johnson promised this nation during his campaign for the Tory leadership that such an enquiry would quickly be brought about with him as Prime Minister. However, now that Johnson is Prime Minister we see nothing.

Could the foregoing be just another Johnson compulsive lie, or could it be that in a party where almost 50% of the membership have stated they would not vote for a person standing to be Prime minister if that person held Muslim belief, perhaps Johnson realises that such an inquiry would demonstrate endemic racism in the Tory party at its conclusion.

So again could those shouting so loud in this thread in regard to antisemitism in the Labour Party as they are so troubled by it, please inform me in regard to the promised enquiry into islamophobia in the Tory Party, which to me looks far more prevalent than any racism in the Labour Party?

trisher Tue 08-Oct-19 14:25:36

Woo! I do love an insult (or a try) I am a "big lass" in every sense of the words absthame so I fail to understand how someone who has recieved 2 Peace Prizes for International organisations can be said to be as you said he is always very partial and favouring one side over another on problems like the Palestinian/ Israeli issue or the Northern Ireland/ Ireland issue
But as you know so much, and have so much experience I really expected to have it explained to me. Still an insult speaks for itself so I will accept that as your answer.

suki51 Tue 08-Oct-19 14:01:56

Children are very idealistic and ardent but I am all for everyone and everybody who has an opinion being able to express it, but only in a respectful and informed way. Children are hot headed and I can admire his feelings to defend his Dad but really not in this way and I am surprised that he doesnt know better than this!

absthame Tue 08-Oct-19 13:55:28

Trisher I thought that you was a big lass, all grown up, not a silly school girl trying to bait anyone with a view different to yours. Still I can't be right all of the time smile

trisher Tue 08-Oct-19 13:19:36

So it's the whole Labour party you have problems with absthame and not just Corbyn?
I see you haven't bothered to reply to the Peace Prize question.

absthame Tue 08-Oct-19 13:08:20

trisher Sorry I do not accept that the party's mechanisms for dealing with these issues are either impartial or sufficiently independent to warrant having confidence in. I'll be interested in the results of the more independent investigations into the whole issue and maybe that will indicate what is really going on, rather than relying on your or my less than objective views.

Anniebach Tue 08-Oct-19 13:00:34

trisher I do not believe you are anti semetic but you will
defend those who are if Corbyn is involved. Blind devotion?

trisher Tue 08-Oct-19 12:56:49

OMG Anniebach do you never get bored with repeating old arguments? I know you regard me as anti-semitic (I'm not) I do believe in artistic freedom. But just move on please.

Anniebach Tue 08-Oct-19 12:48:02

trisher we disagreed over the wall mural which Corbyn defended , I said it was anti semetic you said it was not.

Corbyn eventually said ‘I regret I did not look more closely
at the image I was commenting on, the contents of which are
deeply disturbing and anti semetic ‘

trisher Tue 08-Oct-19 12:44:16

I mean due process for investigating allegations absthame it is there in the LP to investigate allegations of anti-semitism. Woud you rather people just went round saying "She's anti-semitic" and someone else saying "OK we'll get rid of her" that's how dictatorship works.
As for peace processes. Your dismissal of Corbyn does not tally with International opinions on his contribution to peace and negotiation. He has been awarded 2 peace prizes. Or are you in some way suggesting there is an international conspiracy to reward anti-semitism and partiality? Conspiracy theories about Jews are roundly and correctly dismissed, can it be that you believe there are other conspiracies which somehow have substance?

absthame Tue 08-Oct-19 12:19:33

What has due process have to do with Corbyn trisher or is it that you mean do I believe in democracy? If that is the case the answer is yes, unfortunately under the current party constitution the Labour Party for internal purposes no longer does.

With regards to his antisemitism, I have already said his reluctance to get it sorted within the party is the same as waving a flag in favour of it.

Corbyn has always been the same, that is he is always very partial and favouring one side over another on problems like the Palestinian/ Israeli issue or the Northern Ireland/ Ireland issue. I may be extremely sympathetic to the Palestinian cause, very anti the behaviour of Israeli governments over the past 20 years; or I am in favour of a unified Ireland, but my views do not matter as I do not push myself forward as a peace maker while behaving very partially........... BUT Corbyn has always done that. He acts to aggravate problems. He is a false peacemaker.