Gransnet forums

News & politics

Knife crime

(12 Posts)
Gonegirl Mon 07-Oct-19 18:13:34

They've got to do something about this. It's horrific.

A sixteen year old lad stabbed for his bike and his phone. Amongst others.

So depressing. And terrifying.

Luckygirl Mon 07-Oct-19 18:17:22

It is grim isn't it - I worry about my GC when they start going off to uni and college. One is already there and you just have to hope that he does not get tangled up in any of this.

Calendargirl Mon 07-Oct-19 18:24:01

But Gonegirl who are ‘they”?

It’s not just the police and the government, it’s all of us, parents, grandparents, the general public, don’t know what we CAN do but I so agree that SOMETHING has to change.

Anniebach Mon 07-Oct-19 18:27:33

Yesterday a bus driver was stabbed by a teenager, the bus passengers were able to hold him until the police arrived.

EllanVannin Mon 07-Oct-19 19:12:18

I feel sorry for the hospital staff who are dealing with this on a daily basis.
Hospital wards where these victims are should be open to schoolchildren to see the damage. Let them see it head on .
Films in schools should show it too and police and hospital staff should also go round schools lecturing.

Where are the parents of these youths ? I bet there's no male/father figure in the household in the majority of the homes.

Doodle Mon 07-Oct-19 20:31:36

It’s the knives we have to get rid of. In past times if you got angry with someone you might punch them. Now days if a kid has a knife in his pocket then in anger or fear out it comes and another person dies. We don’t have the resources to do it but if I had my way, we would invest in some sort of detector at the gates of every school and shopping mall. Anyone found with a knife automatically gets a sentence. I agree gonegirl. Whoever “they” are they have to do something and soon.

EllanVannin Mon 07-Oct-19 22:05:37

Anger management is badly needed in society as a whole as everywhere you go someone's shouting at somebody----motorists stop their vehicles to get out and wallop somebody for the least thing. People are screeching at their mobile phones. Look at somebody the wrong way and you could end up on the floor.
Society is a disgrace, shameful.

These youths leave the house carrying a knife of some sort with the sole purpose of using it which is intent to harm and not as " protection " which is an excuse. What is it going to take to get it into their thick heads that carrying knives marks the end of someone's life which could be their own.

It's about time the law came down heavier on these criminals for the sake of the rest of the public who need protecting.

Anniebach Mon 07-Oct-19 22:07:29

Knife crime isn’t only caused by anger, there are many reasons, drugs, lack of stable home life.

HettyMaud Mon 07-Oct-19 22:08:24

EllenVannin, you are SO RIGHT. Is anyone today actually happy?

Urmstongran Mon 07-Oct-19 22:09:58

I’m glad ‘stop and search’ is coming back. It’ll be a bluddy good deterrent in my opinion.

Anniebach Mon 07-Oct-19 22:13:37

Stop and search will results in complaints that police are being selective in who they stop and search.

janipat Mon 07-Oct-19 23:52:35

Regarding stop and search I'll declare my bias here. One of my sons is in the police. He is no longer a uniformed officer having become a detective a few years ago. When he was a uniformed officer on the street he conducted many searches on individuals. Yes there are always shouts of bias on stop and search. Mostly they are of young men. In a predominately BAME area they will mostly consist of people of colour. In a predominately white area they will mostly consist of white males. My youngest son was stopped and searched while at university because he was drunk and had no idea where he was! As his mother I didn't take offence although he certainly didn't like emptying his rucksack onto the pavement. Unless we want eg every 5th person on the street searched then we have to accept "profiling" and your average granny is unlikely to be carrying a knife. Yes innocent people are targeted. Years ago my husband worked in IT. Back then, when the nightshift finished the work they were allowed to go home before the end of the shift. Many was the time he was stopped by police and asked what he was doing out at 3.30/4 am. He would tell them and be on his way. Often the registration of our car would be checked. If we're serious about limiting knives on the streets then we have to accept that young men will be disproportionately targeted.