Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris getting tough with EU

(200 Posts)
newnanny Tue 08-Oct-19 10:32:24

It sounds like the gloves are off. Merkyl has now told Boris EU will never agree deal unless NI is fully within CU. Boris reply is Conservative manifesto will state we leave with no deal as new policy if EU fail to agree to his deal. He will also offer 'front of the queue deal' to any country vetoing UK Brexit delay but countries approving one will 'go to the back of the queue'. He will also refuse to negotiate any further with EU after Oct 31st. He may refuse to share our security with EU and appoint Nigel Farage as UK commissioner to EU. The great pity is our own parliament sabotaged Boris doing deal with EU by forcing him to ask for yet another useless extension on Oct 19th, costing £1 billion gross every month, so now EU think they don't need to negotiate with Boris just sit tight. Now we will most likely end up leaving with no deal.

newnanny Tue 08-Oct-19 11:24:00

If Merkyl did not say what is reported she would announce it. She says nothing so it is true.

AllotmentLil Tue 08-Oct-19 11:25:56

We still don’t know what Mrs Merkel actually said ...

Urmstongran Tue 08-Oct-19 11:26:52

Me too newnanny

What the EU are actually now saying is we have to give them Northern Ireland or violence will return. What we are seeing is Barnier's strategy of using Ireland to exert pressure on us.

I say call their bluff it's up to Varadkar now we should just leave and become the Singapore of Europe we have the people who wanted to come here let them put themselves forward to put it in action.

quizqueen Tue 08-Oct-19 11:31:51

The EU has its eastern borders with non EU countries (as well as with French dependencies in Africa etc.), where the flow of trade seems to function perfectly well with no talk of a back stop. This just goes to prove that the Irish backstop is a made up problem to stop the UK from ever leaving because they are scared sh*tless of the UK being a successful independent country. I cannot understand why anyone sides with the EU over this. Why is the EU so worried? If they think their system is so great, why would other countries on the mainland want to leave?

If the EU want to erect a hard border after Brexit, then let them do it on their side. We do not have to do it on the Northern Ireland side ( because, guess what, we can make our decisions after Brexit!), but can continue to use the border processes the EU uses on their eastern border for trade. Let the EU explain why they think there needs to be a difference, when the UK already has full regulatory alignment in place but countries like Albania do not

humptydumpty Tue 08-Oct-19 11:35:44

and I would rather stay in than leave with no deal. Have posters on this thread not seen today's report that "Even a "relatively benign" no-deal Brexit would push UK debt to its highest since the 1960s, the Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS) has said." - or do they just not care (I'm all right, Jack...)

newnanny Tue 08-Oct-19 11:38:40

Good post Quizqueen. The EU are now showing their true colours. The cost of leaving the EU should not be for them to steal part of the UK.

trisher Tue 08-Oct-19 11:42:33

quizqueen if you really fail to understand the very delicate balance which underlies the peace in N Ireland and that this is not replicated in any other country in or out of the EU then of course you think the answer is simple. The problem is that people have been coming up with simple solutions for 600 years and they haven't worked. The very complicated peace that has been maintained since the Good Friday agreement may not hold if we leave the EU. Now you may be prepared to take that risk but there are people living in N Ireland (that voted Remain by the way) who fear for their lives.

Urmstongran Tue 08-Oct-19 11:47:10

Did you know that economists have been proven to get more forecasts wrong than right humpty!

aka ‘Project Fear’

humptydumpty Tue 08-Oct-19 12:05:28

That may be true, but what makes you think this one is one of the wrong ones?

Urmstongran Tue 08-Oct-19 12:11:11

And why should it be one of the ‘right’ ones? To be honest at this stage of Brexit I’m sceptical of most pronouncements. Just get us out and let’s take it from there!

grapefruitpip Tue 08-Oct-19 12:22:49

become the Singapore of Europe

How would that work?

growstuff Tue 08-Oct-19 12:23:39

You voted leave Urmstongran, but according to your own words, it's above your paygrade to consider what you were voting for. That's why the so-called "will of the people" is a farce.

Urmstongran Tue 08-Oct-19 12:26:40

I didn’t say that growstuff as you well know. I said it was above my paygrade to say what concessions I wanted the EU to grant, after you had asked me.

None actually! Let Boris’ plan go through. It has made concessions to the EU and it sounds as though (talking tough as per thread) that that’s it.

Urmstongran Tue 08-Oct-19 12:31:29

I’m not an economist gfp but it’s what the EU fear we might become (? Low taxes, 88% tariff free trade etc). If the EU don’t like the sound of it - then I do! Their protectionist racket stymies growth. We will be free to do as we wish - and bonus time - well have £39 billion every year to kickstart it.

Okay, we won’t. We will have to pay what is deemed fair by arbitration. But we will definitely have £1 billion a month if not more, to spend as we choose.

For every £1 we give the EU we get 38p back (plus access to trade).

I’d rather keep the £1 and seek new partnerships.
?

Urmstongran Tue 08-Oct-19 12:38:26

Actually, lets have a general election now while all the privileged Remainers have super glued themselves to government buildings and roads in London.
?

Only joking!

Kerenhappuch Tue 08-Oct-19 12:40:01

Farage as UK commissioner to EU would be explosive. The EU hate him.

Plus, her seems averse to doing a full day's work as an MEP, so he's hardly likely to change his approach as a commissioner.

Urmstongran Tue 08-Oct-19 12:41:53

He can’t be one anyway. He has to be voted in by some EU panel. I lose track of which one. Ain’t gonna happen.

Urmstongran Tue 08-Oct-19 12:47:31

I’m glad things are finally moving.

We've wasted years trying to get a deal with the EU gangsters, spent extra billions by being kept in the EU under a false pretense that we were negotiating for a fair deal that was never there.

The EU have conned us enough and now it is time to draw a line under these fake negotiations and end the payments to the EU and move this country onto independence.

lemongrove Tue 08-Oct-19 12:48:15

Very good OP newnanny you got it in one.??
Hope all the idiots in Parliament are proud of themselves for hampering the government at every turn for three years, because leaving without a deal now seems inevitable.

humptydumpty Tue 08-Oct-19 12:55:24

Glad to hear so many of you are looking forward to the post-Brexit turmoil (over years, remember)

Urmstongran Tue 08-Oct-19 12:58:12

Just hold firm Boris - people against you make a lot of noise but remember there IS a growing majority, totally with you 100%.

Brussels and Remainers here have caused this, by setting their faces against ANY deal put forward by the Tories.

The only deals they will accept are basically Brexit In Name Only, which would have us still shackled to 90% of the EU. Boris is right, it's gone on long enough. Out with no deal.

EllanVannin Tue 08-Oct-19 13:04:53

I'd stick with Merkel myself. There has to be a customs union for NI. BJ is talking out of his backside in all this.

winterwhite Tue 08-Oct-19 13:06:06

I think it’s terrifying too.
And yes, absurd to blame the EU. We were the ones who started this under Cameron and we have since botched it under May and Johnson. No escaping that.

newnanny Tue 08-Oct-19 13:16:19

The EU have no right to expect a country to snap off a part of itself and surrender it up to the EU. They are bonkers if they think that is in any way going to happen. And no amount of Project Fear will make it palatable. I see the Project Fear has been ramped up this morning,

humptydumpty Tue 08-Oct-19 13:19:23

Ah well, what's the saying? - there's none so blind as those that will not see. I think everyone on this thread, myself included, is prey to what Ian Hislop said on his documentary about Fake News last night: everyone's first instinct is to believe news that concurs with their own opinion.