Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris getting tough with EU

(200 Posts)
newnanny Tue 08-Oct-19 10:32:24

It sounds like the gloves are off. Merkyl has now told Boris EU will never agree deal unless NI is fully within CU. Boris reply is Conservative manifesto will state we leave with no deal as new policy if EU fail to agree to his deal. He will also offer 'front of the queue deal' to any country vetoing UK Brexit delay but countries approving one will 'go to the back of the queue'. He will also refuse to negotiate any further with EU after Oct 31st. He may refuse to share our security with EU and appoint Nigel Farage as UK commissioner to EU. The great pity is our own parliament sabotaged Boris doing deal with EU by forcing him to ask for yet another useless extension on Oct 19th, costing £1 billion gross every month, so now EU think they don't need to negotiate with Boris just sit tight. Now we will most likely end up leaving with no deal.

GracesGranMK3 Thu 10-Oct-19 20:20:58

I watch a whole (very small) website with people of similar views. It's very sad. At the moment they don't care. We get all the rationing and we've cooked in the past nonsense and they think they are being brave and standing up for the England they believe in. They make threatening remarks about judges and certain MPs and are all bar about three xenophobic and racist. The comments they make Diane Abbott, Gina Miller and other women of colour would not just be deleted on here they would be thrown off. These are mainly men, mainly in there 70s and 80s and they truly believe they arevknowledgable about the EU. (There is no way they would say "sorry").

Interestingly some will vote for the Tories IF they get a no-deal Brexit but the are, in the majority, far more likely to vote for the BPL.

MaizieD Thu 10-Oct-19 18:40:23

How many other Christines voted to leave, I wonder.

I know one....

SirChenjin Thu 10-Oct-19 18:31:28

Christine doesn’t read newspapers - she gets her news from her friends at the Legion and the Spoons magazine

varian Thu 10-Oct-19 18:28:36

I wonder which newspaper Christine reads?

SirChenjin Thu 10-Oct-19 18:25:56

And we’ll have tighter immigration (ignoring that the UK could have chosen to implement stricter controls over the years but chose not to) and a return to the <vague wave of hand> old way of nursing to address the shortage of nurses and doctors after Brexit.

Wow - Christine is on fire!!

Greta Thu 10-Oct-19 18:24:48

How many other Christines voted to leave, I wonder.

MaizieD Thu 10-Oct-19 18:04:58

That was very painful listening.

Still, it's good to know that when we leave with no deal we'll be able to recycle our newspapers for fish and chips wrapping grin

Or, will we? hmm

SirChenjin Thu 10-Oct-19 17:40:03

Christine really really loves Britain doesn’t she! A shame she hasn’t got an f-ing clue how the UK operates within the UK

janipat Thu 10-Oct-19 16:49:25

varian Watched that video, then spotted this one www.youtube.com/watch?v=_miIdIemE3A

Perfectly illustrates that it's far easier to fool people than to get them to admit/see that they have been fooled.

varian Thu 10-Oct-19 16:15:43

James O'Brien gets numerous calls from Leave voters telling him that a "no deal brexit" is the only proper brexit and is what they wanted all along. They might have forgotten, but he hasn't forgotten, the "cake and eat it" promises that so many believed in 2016.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKpD-gLyvjU

Barmeyoldbat Thu 10-Oct-19 12:52:18

Chesnut Boris having people behind doesn't matter, its the MP's who count, they have to be behind Boris and they aren't.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 10-Oct-19 06:22:13

What a lot of misinformation is coming from No. 10.

I suppose some people are accepting it uncritically.

varian Wed 09-Oct-19 20:39:59

We have a right wing Tory MP who is listed as a member of the ERG. He is utterly useless, never does anything but on one occasion voted for Theresa May's deal. After that notices appeared locally saying join the Conzervative Party and vote to deselect this MP.

I'm sure they can find plenty ultrabrexit candidates to stand everywhere but will they get elected?

GracesGranMK3 Wed 09-Oct-19 20:00:10

I think Leave.EU have a far greater hold on the Conservative party than Momentum have on the the Labour Party. You have only to look at their efforts to "Deselect you Remainer MP", published by Leave.EU in January of this year.

So far, in spite of a lot of hot air about deselecting those who didn't support Corbyn by using the rule book as the Labour Party it replaced did, few have actually felt the wrath of their local party. Not surprisingly, those who voted them in as MP have, in many cases been happy to keep them as their candidate.

The entryism into the Tory Party however seems to have shaken up the more centrist Tories constituencies and Leave.EU, backed by Arron Banks money, offers a blueprint to the "new" members as it morphs into the Brexit Party.

Boris may seem to be getting tough but I think we all know others are pulling the strings.

ClareAB Wed 09-Oct-19 19:33:35

Boris and his cronies are an embarrassment. They have caused untold misery and even death to thousands of our most vulnerable, lied, cheated, stolen and put their own interests and those of the cult they belong too, before the best interests of those that elected them.
We need Jeremy here and Bernie in the USA to stop in it's tracks the iniquitous creep of fascism.

SirChenjin Wed 09-Oct-19 18:23:03

What kind of fools indeed...

grapefruitpip Wed 09-Oct-19 17:51:17

Correct Labaik. What kind of fools organise a referendum on a whim, just to look good and then have absolutely nothing in place ,to deal with the result.

Bellanonna Wed 09-Oct-19 17:19:21

Your last sentence, Barmey: If only!
I don’t ever contribute to these contentious threads but I just want to add my disgust and revulsion at seeing that poster by Leave.uk. I echo WWmk2’s comment when she posted it.

Labaik Wed 09-Oct-19 17:14:59

Article 50 should never have been triggered when no one had a clear plan of how Brexit would be implemented....

Urmstongran Wed 09-Oct-19 17:09:22

Yet it is the legal default position of Article 50. Boris hasn’t plucked it out of thin air.

jo1book Wed 09-Oct-19 16:56:57

I think the man is a disgrace. To politically use the threat of no deal is irresponsible and unworthy of a British PM. he is a traitor to his Country.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 09-Oct-19 16:39:09

The problem is Boris is self serving. He use to be a remainer then switched sides to a leaver. His goal al along ha been to be PM. He will try to leave with a no deal so he can then have an GE and proudly proclaim I got you out of the EU, I keep my promises, I gave the people what they wanted with no thought to the damage done, just him becoming PM and making a lot of money for himself and friends.

I think that is now a big chance that leaving won't happen and we will see the end of Boris.

GracesGranMK3 Wed 09-Oct-19 16:37:43

Just watched a bit on the news and apparently Johnson has promised that they will not go into an election with No Deal in the manifesto. The less extreme Conservatives still holding the whip are, apparently, willing to take him at his word. As I would be counting my fingers if I shook hands with the man I think they need more than just that before they believe him.

jura2 Wed 09-Oct-19 16:27:42

Could be an underestimate too

''Green and the other One Nation MPs demanded the meeting after a furious backlash among Conservative backbenchers against a briefing from an unnamed No 10 source which suggested the Tories would have to pivot to a no-deal position to outflank Farage.

“To marginalise the Brexit party, we will have to fight the election on the basis of ‘no more delays, get Brexit done immediately’.”

Johnson told the MPs to “listen to me, not the briefings”, which is the same line he used to Nicky Morgan, the culture secretary, when she raised the issue of the anonymous source messages in cabinet on Tuesday. The briefing in question is widely believed to have come from Johnson’s senior adviser, Dominic Cummings, who is driving his Brexit policy.

Johnson’s chief whip, Mark Spencer, and his parliamentary private secretary, James Heappey, have received a series of complaints in the past 24 hours from backbench MPs who say they cannot stand on a no-deal platform, after a Downing Street memo was sent out.

Expectations that up to 50 Tories would choose not stand for their party at the next election in protest, could be an under-estimation, according to one source. They said the group of 80 One Nation Tories were all extremely worried about the government’s potential direction.

One backbencher said: “It’s pretty much the only conversation taking place on the backbenches at the moment and it’s going down very poorly.
“The whole One Nation group would struggle with it. I do not see that there’s a democratic mandate based on a 52-48 referendum result for a no-deal Brexit.''

Good for them- respect. I know some good Conservatives- but they have been far too quiet apart from a very few, like Hammond and Grieves. At last they have broken silence.

Urmstongran Wed 09-Oct-19 16:15:54

It’s making me dizzy trying to keep up with all the twists and turns! It changes by the day.